Stock, Aitken & Waterman

Word Is Out didn’t do well because it just wasn’t very good. None of my friends, who loved Kylie, liked it and neither did the general public. A big mis-fire. There were better songs on the album.
Agree with this - of all her PWL singles only this and the lacklustre Celebration get zero love from me.

I love Word Is Out and will forever stan it, it is not a classic Kylie lead single though in the same way like Some Kind Of Bliss, 2 Hearts and perhaps Into The Blue aren't.

Word Is Out didn’t do well because it just wasn’t very good. None of my friends, who loved Kylie, liked it and neither did the general public. A big mis-fire. There were better songs on the album.

‘Spinning Around’ wasn’t very good, and that gave her a comeback #1. Guess we can thank the hotpants and a lot of good will for that.

‘Spinning Around’ wasn’t very good, and that gave her a comeback #1. Guess we can thank the hotpants and a lot of good will for that.
Yes I thought "Spinning Around" was overrated as well, although still quite good. Hot pants publicity did a lot for that song.

Lyrically Word Is Out is more interesting when you realise she's singing about Michael playing away towards the end of their relationship.

The melody is almost 'musical theatrey' which lets it down for me, along with the production which although more layered than anything from the first 2 albums, suffers too much from 'look, we've got real brass instruments, a soul singer and ad-libs on this one!!1!!'

It was used in an ad or something, wasn't it? Also it was released in January when sales were lower.

The "prrrrrt" is quite annoying. Personally I don't think any of the singles from that album were that great.

The whole of the Let's Get To It era with the B-sides included is just so mixed! New Jack Swing, rave, 70s covers, sickly ballads. I like most of the songs, but it seems clear there wasn't a team plan/vision for it!

Last edited:
Inspired by this thread, I listened to it for the millionth time this morning and noticed:
- The slow oohing and aahing intro of Too Much of a Good Thing sounds very Erotica
- Lyrically, Live and Learn seems akin to Things Can Only Get Better (she even repeats “What’s past is past”)
- Let’s Get To It is indeed a very similar to I Wanna Sex U Up. How did I never notice this?