Stock, Aitken & Waterman

A lot of the time we don't really recognise soundalikes when they're new - but do so years later. It's so weird.

I was listening to the Boy Krazy ep of the SAW podcast today and as soon as they said the single mix of That's What Love Can Do was inspired by a certain soul pop classic I thought "Best Of My Love" by the Emotions before they'd played it, yet I'd never really noticed it before.

I had never ever heard of Thats What Love Can Do until several years ago in this very thread. The fact that it was never a UK hit and the internet wasn’t a thing back in the early 90s. It really is one of my fave SAW songs too though. It’s ink the fact that SAW wasn’t so saturated in the US allowed it to be a hit in 1991. Whereas the UK was so over SAW by that point and tbh it does sound dated, especially considering the UK was well into its rave culture by then.

I had never ever heard of Thats What Love Can Do until several years ago in this very thread. The fact that it was never a UK hit and the internet wasn’t a thing back in the early 90s. It really is one of my fave SAW songs too though. It’s ink the fact that SAW wasn’t so saturated in the US allowed it to be a hit in 1991. Whereas the UK was so over SAW by that point and tbh it does sound dated, especially considering the UK was well into its rave culture by then.

It wasn’t a US hit until 1993.

It's weird, I kind of did know the song on hearing it in the mid 00s when I got SAW Gold. It wasn't an immediate thing, but I definitely had a memory of it. I don't think it was that I knew the Toutes Les Filles version as that came out when I was a student in France, so I must have recalled the Boy Krazy song from 91/93 from radio play, despite the floppage.

I heard and bought it in 93 as it was played in a few clubs. I was a bit bemused why it was credited SAW at the time but obviously I didn't realise it was originally released in 1991. Pretty sure I picked it up in the bargain bin though.

I only realised a few years ago that Johnna was the lead on this as I loved her solo album Pride but never made the connection despite it being a PWL release.

I heard and bought it in 93 as it was played in a few clubs. I was a bit bemused why it was credited SAW at the time but obviously I didn't realise it was originally released in 1991. Pretty sure I picked it up in the bargain bin though.

I only realised a few years ago that Johnna was the lead on this as I loved her solo album Pride but never made the connection despite it being a PWL release.
I remember it stay in the U.S. Radio and Records top 10 forever. Amazing tune. I was gutted it didn’t make Sam Fox’s album.

I'm glad it at least became a US top 20 hit, something that many a SAW classic didn't do or get the chance to be so by not being released in America in the first place. This song was too good not to be a hit somewhere.

Very telling how If you were with me now was basically sandwiched between 2 other songs, highlighting the absolute basicness of it. I'm not buying that Finer feelings was being lined up as thd follow up as If you..arrived very soon after Word is out and had a what looked like a decent budget video. It was likely always planned. Mad to release a big power ballad in the middle of Aus summer. No wonder it flopped there.

I agree that it fitted well in the musical but it's literally one of several 'pointless' Top 10 Kylie singles.

I'm not overly familiar with what genres were popular at the time but surely Finer Feelings could have fared much better had it been released a few months earlier (October/November 1991)?