Studio Ghibli | The Popjustice Forum

Studio Ghibli

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Lately, Sep 7, 2016.

1. What's your favorite Studio Ghibli movie?
    I'm looking for the next one to watch, accepting recommendations. I really enjoyed Spirited Away but My Neighbor Totoro was a big let down. Everybody talks so much about it but it was so uneventful to me..

New Flame likes this.
  2. Howl's Moving Castle is truly that masterpiece.

ManilaChinchilla, Espeon and Lately like this.
  3. They're literally all masterpieces. If you liked Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle is probably your best bet.
    Castle in the Sky should be next. Perfect action film.

thefaceofyou likes this.
  4. How's Moving Castle it will be then. I also want to watch Kiki's Delivery Service, though I've seen some mixed reviews and know it will probably be too childish, but I need to see it for myself haha.

I'm also willing to watch other japanese animated movies. I love the synopsis of "Five centimeters per second"

5. I love The Cat Returns.

6. I hate The Cat Returns. Almost put me off them all together.

I've shamefully only seen Spirited Away, Grave of The Fireflies, Princess Mononoke and most of Princess Kaguya, which I need to finish and was beautiful.

7. I haven't watched all of their movies, but there are a few that feel "uneventful". But I really liked "Castle in the sky", it is a really great adventure movie!

8. That first post made me anxious, because My Neighbour Totoro is one of my favourite films of all time.
    Uneventful, never, beautiful and mystical.

ManilaChinchilla likes this.
  9. BUT IT HAS CATS.

10. I am thinking of that bloody one where it's talking cats in suits who run a town or something and there's another dimension or some shit, right?

Keep it.

11. Their films are so good that I'm glad I have only seen about half of them. I really am just happy knowing I have "new" Ghibli to look forward to, especially since they seem to have gone out of business. Such a shame.

12. Princess Mononoke is an epic like no other - the most 'adulty' in some respects especially considering some of the topics & issued raised underneath all the mystical Mother Nature creature features.

Howl's Moving Castle is the closest to Spirited Away with a bit more of a steampunk magic journey vibe so a good place to go to next.

Spirit of the Fireflies is literally emotionally scarring. I cried my tiny heart out at it when I first watched because it's so brutal and bleak for a supposedly 'kids' animation. The depiction of war is eerily relevant to a lot of the ongoing world refugee crisis too (if you wanna delve down that route).

Porco Rosso is quite old school. Has an old Hollywood feel to it except with pigmen flying planes over the Mediterranean.

Pom Poko is a complete curio filled with giant raccoon balls. Quite funny in parts but very long and heavy on the environmental message agenda at times.

Kiki's Delivery Service is a lovely pre-cursor to films like Spirited Away. Nothing too crazy or out of the norm but a cute little witch coming-of-age tale. Might not be so into it if you didn't like Totoro though.

Tales of Earthsea is the closest to an anime tv series except rushed through & not given the 24 episodes to get past the basics. Castles, rural upbringing, malevolent evil force yadda yadda

Nausicaa or the Valley of the Wind is again another environmental epic but more of a blueprint for Mononoke's brilliance rather than one of the best.

From Up on Poppy Hill is a coastal port high school drama with a dash of near-incest. If that's your thang go for it but wasn't my fave.

These are just opinions though. I'd watch all of them because even the lessers are still better than most. I've still got tons to see & I can't wait for more.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    Slice of Life, New Flame and Lately like this.
  13. I've been a die hard Ghibli fan for about 12 years now. I'm completely blessed to have seen almost all of them in a cinema setting too, some as they came out, some in art house cinemas as part of a ghibli season.

I would highly recommend seeing Spirited Away in a cinema especially. I'd seen it probably 15 times before I saw it in a big screen, but the spectacular visuals just become even more rich and decadent. Just stunning.

Macsun and POPGASM like this.
  14. Yes. Whenever you get the chance to see a Ghibli movie at a cinema, DO IT. Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and Ponyo were great on the big screen. Even though i've seen his other works, the ones I've seen on the big screen are more special to me.

15. Oh god, forgot about that one. So weird, yet so boring... don't watch it unless you are heavily into planes and flying.

I kinda liked that one though althuogh I cannot for the live of me remember what it was about. But it had a nostalgic picturebook feeling to it.

16. I love Porco Rosso. It's so romantic.

Princess Mononoke was the first one I saw, in 2006, in Japanese. As the first one to watch in the series, it's very intense.

My favourite is either Howl or Spirited Away, but I have a soft spot for Kiki's Delivery Service and Only Yesterday. I love the ending to that one. I even quite liked Ocean Waves.

17. Thank you so much!

Squashua likes this.
  18. I think more than un-eventfulness, there is a lot of "calm" in the movies that can be quite boring if you're not in the mood for that. Spirited Away is amazing.

19. Spirited Away is truly a masterpiece but Howl's Moving Castle just inches itself ahead as one of my favourite films of all time.

New Flame likes this.
  20. I'm fond of them all, so here's a summary:

- Howl's Moving Castle: my favourite, also one of my favourite movies in general. Its story is quite messy, but it adds up to its charm. Howl is such an intriguing, colourful (and hot) character. The music, Sophie's town, the Castle, the showdowns between the old ladies on the stairs, that dog, the scarecrow, the magic, the romance, the melancholy of the landscapes,... . There's so much to love.

- Spirited Away: equilly magical and immersive and probably the best starting point. The spa and its 'behind-the-scenes' are so quirky and original as a setting, you'll love it. The spooky Spirit of the Kohaku River is also easily more memorable than your average Disney-pet. It's more straightforward and has less 'quiet' moments than other Ghibli movies, which is probably one of the reasons why it's so popular in the West.

- Laputa: Castle In The Sky: an older one. It's a bit more gritty and rough, but once you reach that castle in the sky... it has such an special atmosphere. Little fields of grass, ruins, the ancient mixed with technology, a robot,... . The road to the castle is also exciting with another female villain(?).

- My Neighbor Totoro: a small but iconic Ghibli movie. Not one of my favourites, but perfect if you want to relax in a traditional Japanese house and get in touch with your inner child in a poetic way.

- Arrietty: unpopular opinion, but I like this one better than Totoro. It has a similar feel and setting, but I like the characters better. The house and the garden are almost too perfect.

- NausicaƤ: technically not a Ghibli film. It's more sciencefiction which gives it an unique place in the Ghibli collection. The world and the creatures are very creative and the main character really takes you on a journey of discovery.

- Grave of Fireflies: this one will rip your heart out.

- The Wind Rises: I was a bit disappointed when I saw it for the first time, but the movie hit me when I saw it for the second time. A peculiar but perfect swan song for Hayao Miyazaki. It's more understated and realistic, but very beautiful in its subtlety. Give it a chance and don't underestimate it. Nice to know: A lot of the sounds (for example the earthquake) were done by people.

- Kiki's Delivery Service: endearing and certainly not only for children. I wish I could visit that bakery.

- Only Yesterday: a 'quiet' and sensitive movie, maybe a tad bit boring.

- Pom Poko: a weird one about raccoon testicles. Its duration hurts the movie.

- Whisper Of The Heart: often forgotten, but actually up there with Howl in my book. It's the perfect mix of everything what makes Studio Ghibli so iconic: family bonds, quiet and poetic moments to breathe, lush artwork, magic, music (Concrete Roads!), cute characters,... it's all there.

- The Cat Returns: not as good as Whisper Of The Heart, but you gotta love those cats. The animation is definitely weaker than other Ghibli movies.

- Princess Mononoke: a more adult Ghibli with a very strong premise and an ecological flavour. The setting and the creatures are so majestic and impressive. Probably the most epic one of the bunch.

- Ponyo: also has an ecological flavour, but clearly more aimed at a younger public. Still enough to love for adults. The mythology is so rich. The water and its life are beautifully animated and scenes like the kids getting excited about a bowl of ramen are yet another example why Studio Ghibli is so special.

- Tales From Earthsea: this one was critically a failure and does not get enough of love. See it for its darker undertones, the consoling landscapes, the androgynous villain, the farm, Tehanu's song, the dragons,... . Lord Of The Ghibli Rings. Plenty to enjoy.

- Ocean Waves: more like 'Only Yesterday', but I think I like this one better. It's a simple and cute story of young people. Effective on some occasions.

- When Marnie Was There: a real mystery Ghibli-film. Perfect for a hot summer evening. Also quite touching, not sure if it's predictable.

- From Up On Poppy Hill: It's premise didn't get me excited, but I was pleasantly surprised once I saw it. The story is a bit weird, but luckily they don't "go there".

- The Tale Of Princess Kaguya: The movie in its totality is pure art. It does go on for too long though. If I had children, I would wish they'd love this movie.

I haven't seen Porco Rosso or My Neighbors the Yamadas. I just don't feel the need to see them. A pighead and the animation of the Yamadas don't seem my cup of tea. Are they worth it?

Lately and Andrew.L like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.