Sugababes - Freedom + cancelled album

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Sugababes - Freedom (New Single)

heysexy said:
CAN EVERYONE JUST STOP THE ARGUEING!!!

Anyway... Sugababes need to bring the release date forward because I have heard the track HQ and I think it's good in my opinion, it's got a nice heavy beats and the overall song is IMO the same level as hole in the head, very sugababesish and far better then girls and get sexy but not as good as push the button or about you now.

But.. I don't think it has a chance against pixie and her fan base or leonas fan base and even though the Saturdays are not as big as GA or Sugababes at there peaks, I do think there new song even if it's shit will do better sadly based on analysing there past singles performance.

The end.

Are you implying it has leaked?

A

All6Sugababes

Everyone seems to heard it but me hahaha im jealous of your connections!

If anyone here was a forum member back when About You Now premiered, what was the overall response? Did people think it a sure-fire number one or was there disagreements a la Freedom?

F

Former member 330

Sugaboy said:
If anyone here was a forum member back when About You Now premiered, what was the overall response? Did people think it a sure-fire number one or was there disagreements a la Freedom?

Generally, there have always been arguments surrounding Sugababes, certainly post-Mutya. I recall Amelle going through a period of, "she's crap" after she joined, but there was a lot of support for her too, many people saying she was now their favourite member (a bit like how people are with Jade now)... About You Now was generally well received here... but I remember people getting disappointed with the Chnage album pretty quickly. The PJ write-up of the album was amazing, and then everyone heard it and a lot of people felt it was a let down. Catfights & Spotlights caused a massive row and that's the first time I remember Sugababes threads getting locked or deleted. The fighting has gotten progressively worse since then, sadly.

Comparing it to Hole in the Head is ridiculous. You might like it as much as that song, but... it just... no.

Freedom is about... freedom? It's so stupidly over-positive, which never worked for the real Sugababes (sorry, Ugly, am in the minority, etc etc) and will work even LESS for them. Firework, Born This Way, Raise Your Glass, blablabla, they worked because we can swallow ridiculous optimism from Americans. British people don't think like that, and it will NOT work for the 'Sugababes'.

I'm fairly certain of that, but not gloating. Since I was about 10, they'd been my favourite band. What I don't get bout the Hole in the Head comparisons, and in fact about this entire line-up, is that they're trying to be all happy and up-beat. That is NOT the Sugababes. They were dark, edgy, almost bitchy and always cutting edge. This sounds like yet another Red One leftover, and it has nothing to do with their 'brand' "identity".

A

All6Sugababes

Hopefully Freedom will get some new fans-we cant only think about past lineups fans and haters.

I hope I don't get bombarded with hate for what I'm about to say but I honestly can't see this making much if any impact on the charts unless there is a bit of scandal surrounding them or who is leaving/joining this time around. They needed one hell of a song to propel them back into the limelight and judging from what I have heard Freedom is not that (I've not yet heard the HQ so for all I know that could sound bloody fantastic and change my opinion slightly).

It's a shame considering what the group once were and yes I know I have to take into consideration that they are a different line up but they are still carrying the Sugababes name and brand and this song is not what I expect from them - neither was About You Now most likely at the time but you cant deny that although it was a change in sound ever so slightly it was a positive one at that. You couldn't go anywhere without hearing that song; the radio, clubs, t.v etc.

I shouldn't judge this campaign before it has even begun but so far things are not looking great in my opinion. I hope the HQ blows me away and they make a decent impact on the charts but I just can't see it going that way with this song.

Thanks for the responses. Looking at the AYN thread, I was surprised that one comment read "they need a massive comeback single considering all the negativity thats surrounded them recently." Wow! I had no idea that Sugababes 2007 were seen in such a way. Naive me! Nevertheless that would have been a bit strange since Mutya chose to left and so negativity should have directed at her but hey ho that's a different thread...

Overall, AYN was more positively received in here than Freedom. But not that positively considering the former's eventual success. Oh well, we shall have to wait and see for Freedom.

T

Tommie

Sugaboy said:
Thanks for the responses. Looking at the AYN thread, I was surprised that one comment read "they need a massive comeback single considering all the negativity thats surrounded them recently." Wow! I had no idea that Sugababes 2007 were seen in such a way. Naive me! Nevertheless that would have been a bit strange since Mutya chose to left and so negativity should have directed at her but hey ho that's a different thread...

It's not that odd - even despite the fact she chose to leave it was still a new member and new dynamics in the group; it was also at the start of their somewhat hit-and-miss chart performances as "Easy" had just become their lowest charting lead single.

I still hate About You Now though. It's just so annoying and something a Disney act would release.

Sugaboy said:
Wow! I had no idea that Sugababes 2007 were seen in such a way. Naive me! Nevertheless that would have been a bit strange since Mutya chose to left and so negativity should have directed at her but hey ho that's a different thread...

When you love a group like I do the Sugababes, it really is awful to see them degenerate into the appalling mess they've become. I think I was the only person on here to spot Keisha didn't like Amelle - it was completely clear to me even if not to the 3.0 fans. So I knew they'd split up at some point. What I didn't see happening was Keisha being booted out! I honestly thought Mutya would return and the group would get that chemistry back, the special 'X Factor' that put them above all the others. That special magic the last two terrible lineups clearly lack.

I was very disappointed in Keisha for a short time. I couldn't believe she was part of a group that sold out to make shit like About You Now and Girls. From what I've heard of Freedom - not much - it sounds like a really bad N-Dubz track. In trying to make the group sound like the Sugababes, it plainly exposes how far away they are from being the Sugababes!

aMusicListener said:
Tommie said:
I still hate About You Now though. It's just so annoying and something a Disney act would release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlIUNtQEI_s

This made me laugh a little. I felt the same at the time, despite Mr Justice declaring it amazing. I never thought it was a bad song, just that it was beneath the Babes. I feel the same thing with Freedom, except without the grudging 'I don't like it, but it'll be a hit' bit. I honestly this will sink without a trace, and end my once-favourite band for good.

If you feel the need to throw some 'hater' shade at me, please just don't. I'm 21 now, and Sugababes were the first and only band I loved unconditionally. Lovely as they may be, wonderful singers maybe, they are NOT my band any more. Nonetheless, if these women had produced anything even HALF as wonderful as Freak Like Me or Too Lost In You, I would have become a fan of this new group pretending to be the Sugababes. I'm easy like that.

But instead, Heidi, Amelle and Jade gave us Freedom, and... I'd rather have the alternative.

Hyp-no-tize said:
This song is definitely make or break for them. If it bombs, they're history.

I think they'll get a second single regardless. They've already decided on it to launch the album.

A

All6Sugababes

I think no one can say for sure what will happen. Look what happened with Nicola Roberts.

Status
Not open for further replies.