Sugababes - Freedom + cancelled album

Status
Not open for further replies.
Voicething said:
They're in the studio right now recording a new track, apparently. Not a single, but for the album.
No droppage.

Well, that doesn't mean much, since they were to record that album pretty much independently, using only producers that Crown managed. I'm not suggesting they were dropped, nor do I have a reason strong enough to believe they were. I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me.

All6Sugababes said:
I dont think so,i guess RCA will FINALLY do more about second single campaign.

I'm really having a hard time following your logic. So, now that they don't have to spend a quid they decide not to sell the song and for some reason you think that means Sony — (who is famous for being the most controlling and demanding out of the 'big four' — is willing to spend even more money on them?

anfunny2003 said:
Freedom - so bad we can't even GIVE it away.

Cheers Heidi, Amelle and Jade - and Crown music! - for dragging Sugababes through the shit and bringing things this low. Seriously pathetic.

So you are not a fan of 0.4?!
SHOCK!

A

All6Sugababes

aMusicListener said:
Voicething said:
They're in the studio right now recording a new track, apparently. Not a single, but for the album.
No droppage.

Well, that doesn't mean much, since they were to record that album pretty much independently, using only producers that Crown managed. I'm not suggesting they were dropped, nor do I have a reason strong enough to believe they were. I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me.

All6Sugababes said:
I dont think so,i guess RCA will FINALLY do more about second single campaign.

I'm really having a hard time following your logic. So, now that they don't have to spend a quid they decide not to sell the song and for some reason you think that means Sony — (who is famous for being the most controlling and demanding out of the 'big four' — is willing to spend even more money on them?

Yes because it looks like they havent done anything for freedom. I guess it was promo made by Crown only.

T

Tommie

But why would Freedom doing so badly that they have to give it away inspire them to pump loads of money into them? If anything, the budget will be even leaner for the next single (if there is one) as they will know the amount of interest there is for this line-up.

As someone pointed out - Sony aren't known for being generous.

Fuck everyone get your facts right. I'd be the first to go on about 'budgets'.

Freedom was done in-house for free.
The Freedom video was paid in full by Nokia.

The only 'cost' for this release has been a few thousand in total for the dancers and stylists. That's it. Hardly a disaster.

That only makes things look grimmer, doesn't it?

All6Sugababes said:
Yes because it looks like they havent done anything for freedom. I guess it was promo made by Crown only.

Why, though? They decide to drop the single at the last minute, presumably because they realised it wasn't going to sell, and you see this as a sign they want to spend even more money on them. I'm not trying to criticise, I'm really trying to understand where you are coming from.

breakfast2 said:
Fuck everyone get your facts right. I'd be the first to go on about 'budgets'.

Freedom was done in-house for free.
The Freedom video was paid in full by Nokia.

The only 'cost' for this release has been a few thousand in total for the dancers and stylists. That's it. Hardly a disaster.

Thank you.

The only annoying thing now is the switch from 'pre-order' to 'free', it just looks like defeat when it should really like a cool bonus.

I actually cannot wait for their next interview. I love hearing their answers to burning questions for the first time.

Actually, what are they going to say? There isn't really any backtracking here, since the fact that 'Freedom' was up for pre-order demonstrates that they intended to release it for cash all along. Why don't they just tell the truth and own up that it was a shit campaign. If they try to gloss over this it'll be just plain annoying.

A

All6Sugababes

aMusicListener said:
That only makes things look grimmer, doesn't it?

All6Sugababes said:

Why, though? They decide to drop the single at the last minute, presumably because they realised it wasn't going to sell, and you see this as a sign they want to spend even more money on them. I'm not trying to criticise, I'm really trying to understand where you are coming from.

well if they wont put money in promo then they could just drop them here and now. If they dont then i assume they will help with the promo.

Oh, please. Do you remember when they were dropped from Island and they basically said they left in search for new adventures?

All6Sugababes said:
well if they wont put money in promo then they could just drop them here and now. If they dont then i assume they will help with the promo.

That makes sense. But as it has been already pointed out, they didn't bother spending any money to make Freedom work. It could make sense to believe they are willing to do it right this time, but then, why give the song away like that? It could be easier to believe if we weren't talking about RCA. But then, they seem to have become Gatfield's pet-project, so who knows?

I guess the situation is too complicated. I honestly don't know what I would had done in their situation.

On one hand, Freedom was going to be a disaster. And that bad result would finnish them. People would clearly see the failure they are and Sony would see one more reason to stop supporting them. And if Island and Sony turn their back on you I don't think any other major label would trust them.

But they have to know this same thing is going to happen to the second single. Radios won't pick it up regardless of all the promo they do, because people simply either don't want to hear about them or they are simply not interested.

They have done a lot of promo for this single, like T4 in the Beach, Hollyoacks, magazines...so they can't improve THAT much for the next one if they couldn't get better slots for this one.

Give up, girls. If you are wasting your songs, give them to anyone that has the possibility of doing 'something' with them, like Jade on her own.

I sort of understand why they were re-signed, but mostly it confuses me. Every departure has lost the band fans, as demonstrated by loads of previous die-hards like myself posting bitchy, over-it shit on THE forum likely to offer unconditional support. Kids who grew up with them don't recognise them any more, and trying to attract new fans seems kind of pointless thanks to their laughable reputation. Anybody got any insight?

A

All6Sugababes

They knew it'll flop so they wanted to prevent this. Free download as a "thank you" for fans looks better than a chart disaster a'la Sweet 7,Unsayshuhbul or Nicola. Especially if they will bring on an amazing new single.

I'm sorry but no way on Earth would Jade releasing this as a solo artist have made it any more of a success than the shit hideous thing it is now. It probably wouldn't even be released free if it was just her. A lot of people don't like her, she is the complete antithesis to what the Sugababes were about. Moody angsty pop music, at least Heidi and Amelle stuck to that formula, they just made the group that bit more glamorous. Jade is all smiles and leg-kicks and dancing. She's just annoying. Bring back 2.0 or 3.0 and then we can talk.

cman_22 said:
I have a feeling there isnt going to be a second single, or an album.

I'm kind of hoping there isn't. They need to put out Hard, announce a Singles Collection, then re-record Sound Of Goodbye with all 6 girls and release that as their final single ever and be done with it.

Tracklist would just be all there songs in chronological order. Simples.

F

Former member 330

What a mess, though. Seriously. The just played their hand - "we're not popular anymore". Freedom has been free online for 6 weeks or more, by the way. This isn't even news... it's just confirmation they've lost it entirely.

sammidrew said:
cman_22 said:
I have a feeling there isnt going to be a second single, or an album.

I'm kind of hoping there isn't. They need to put out Hard, announce a Singles Collection, then re-record Sound Of Goodbye with all 6 girls and release that as their final single ever and be done with it.

Tracklist would just be all there songs in chronological order. Simples.

But dont Island own the back catalogue?

Status
Not open for further replies.