Sugababes - General Discussion | Page 2191 | The Popjustice Forum

Sugababes - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Steveweiser, Oct 22, 2006.

1. They definitely lost their edge, and their album track quality decreased a little. But the singles were great (again, the Sweet 7 singles were bops, but they needed some work and lyrical alterations). Change and Catfights are both different from previous albums (even Overloaded and the Taller rerelease), but I think that’s a great thing. What makes the Sugababes more engaging than, Girls Aloud for example, is that each line up had a different flavour. For me, 1.0 had great harmonies, 2.0 had edge, 3.0 was sweeter (much more Pop, which I can’t say I’m against. Catfights was leaning more retro), 4.0 didn’t have their time in the sun unfortunately. They only fell down when the hopped on the trends (starting with She’s Like A Star). I was late to the party, so edge isn’t “The Sugababes” for me. Edge is “2.0”. I’m a fan of the variation

I didn’t like the chorus of Side Chick. Not sure why, it’s not exactly repetitive. I just don’t think it went anywhere exciting for me. The pre-chorus is beautiful, the chorus just doesn’t feel like it takes the verses any further

londonrain likes this.
  2. So, does anyone actually blame 4.0 for Sweet 7?

That seems to be the universally accepted truth, but 3.0 made the vast majority of the tracks. Crash & Burn is the only 4.0 track, and that’s one of the best on the album.

Disco Tears likes this.
  3. No I think it would have been pretty similar whatever the line-up. I have to admit I think it's one of the worst albums I've ever heard, but it wasn't the girls' fault. The label was obviously just pushing for hits, and it worked to an extent. About a Girl and Wear My Kiss would have been good little bops if released by the likes of Atomic Kitten, but they just felt wrong as Sugababes songs to me.

MmmDani likes this.
  4. What about Crash & Burn and Freedom?

claire_louise likes this.
  5. Crash and Burn and No More You were the best on the album, in my opinion. I was also a big fan of Freedom at the time and was excited to see what 4.0 came up with, but alas we never got to find out.

6. I have strong bet that if Sweet 7 had been released with Keisha, some would've been a lot quicker to find excuses/reasoning pretend the album wasn't...what it is.
    Hot take: There's a good album deep, deep down somewhere in Sweet 7. 80% of why it's so shit is the tinny production/mastering; if that was improved, it could've been one of the basic bops of the early 2010s albums instead of the garbage fire it is.

7. I’m not really in touch with their unreleased material (save for the MKS leaks), did anything post Sweet 7 from 4.0 ever surface?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  8. Scrap Miss Everything, Little Miss Perfect and She’s A Mess and replace them with Killa On The Run, Lincoln Continental and Hot Under The Collar.
    Sweet 7 would have bopped.

stopthestatic likes this.
  9. Ok but Shes A Mess is a bit of a bop.

I mean if drag wouldve been as big then that today, I can totally see a crazy drag queen doing the “everybody go mad, everybody go psycho, psycho.”

A level of cringe that becomes epic.

Rob and jawow_ like this.
  10. kal

kal

For me that was Back Down - a literal abomination. Musical trash.

jawow_ and claire_louise like this.
  11. I personally don't understand the hate that some hold for Back Down - it really shone live, especially Keisha and Heidi.

There's far worse in their discography. It deserved better than #100 in their rate.
    That iconic "AH LIIAARRK MAH MAAAN RRRROOOORRRGGGHHHEE" intro is hilarious tho.

12. Just take ‘About A Girl’ and ‘No More You (acoustic)’ and run away from ‘Sweet 7’.

kal likes this.
  13. Thank You for the Heartbreak (Keisha Version) is amazing though.

14. I don't think so? There was a song called Hard that was meant to be single #2 but I don't think we ever properly heard it? I might be wrong.

londonrain and MmmDani like this.
  15. Did Lincoln Continental leak?

goodra90 likes this.
  16. Amelle said she'd upload it last year as well as some solo tracks but she never did.

Only Ne-Yo's demo has ever leaked.

goodra90 and Sugaboy like this.
  17. Your top 3 Sugababe music videos ?

18. Push The Button, Denial and Freak Like Me.

MmmDani and sugababesoverloaded like this.
  19. Overload

Run for cover

Push the button or round round

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  20. Push the button

Denial

Overload

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.