Sugababes - The Lost Tapes (Deluxe)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The director really liked the big whole room camera that was either on a line or a drone and cutting to it at interesting points. Pretty sure I was closer the girls sitting in my living room than the camera was.

NOBODY WATCHES A LIVE PERFORMANCE ON TV TO SEE THE AUDIENCE. KNOCK IT OFF.

Other than that, great to have the ladies back on prime time TV.

Those three deluxe tracks seem like good choices in my opinion.
"Back to Life" is definitely nice but didn't impress me, probably because it's among the least Sugababes-sounding songs of the bunch. I love their vocals and harmonies on "Breathe Me" (obviously it's a fantastic song itself) but I really wish the production was more subdued and had less of those typical 2012 loud synths. "Only You" is really good though, I can see it further growing on me too.
We're all being so spoiled it feels wrong to say anything that's not praise, hehe.

Mr.Arroz

Staff member
he/him/his
I actually love them doing "About You Now". It was never the most inventive pop song, but it always has been a reminder of "we could if we need to", aside from the fact that it's a major signal of Keisha reclaiming her time in the band. To be quite fair, she's recorded literally every Sugababes album in existence (even if Sweet 7 was released as a sub over from Jade). It's a reminder of their state as a band - very retrospective, but building new roads, and they enjoy it. And if they're going to be Sugababes, I more than appreciate them embracing parts of the discography that they would love to channel. Makes the O2 night seem even closer and exciting of a show.

he/him
Me secretly adding The Lost Tapes tracks to the NYE Spotify playlist for me and my friends earlier today

MeagerForthrightJapanesebeetle-max-1mb.gif

Guys, “Boys” fucking slapped yesterday.

I saw it mentioned here that they are not allowed to perform the tracks from The Lost Tapes. Is that true? Does it have to be with things surrounding all the mastering owning or was it just the channel's request in general to have hits that the local recognize performed on TV?

he/him
I saw it mentioned here that they are not allowed to perform the tracks from The Lost Tapes. Is that true? Does it have to be with things surrounding all the mastering owning or was it just the channel's request in general to have hits that the local recognize performed on TV?
This was recorded weeks ago and was for a New Years Eve show - the likelihood is that they were going to perform hits rather than album tracks.

It was wonderful to see them again, and it was a decent performance, though the levels seemed a tad off and I can't help but feel they deserved (and can) do better. They need a megamix of sorts for these occasions where there's a chance to remind the general public of their greatness and showcase them in a more vibrant, dynamic way - a slightly beefed up four to five minute whirl through Freak Like Me, Hole In The Head and Push The Button would have been my choices, along with a dash of Overload to reference their biggest hit as a trio.

I suspect Overload and About You Now are gig highlights, but for TV spots, a blistering, exciting hits-packed megamix would deliver. Either that or put them on stage with an acoustic guitar and let those harmonies do their work - that too would be a showstopper. Still wonderful to see them back at it though, and they looked incredible.

The album is in my top three of 2022, with favourites being:

Drum - love the lyrical and musical references to where it all started with Overload and the onomatopoeic feel of the whole track. It's got a primitive, aggresive intent - a declaration of 'we are back' feel to it.

Summer of '99 - feels like a more successful About You Now with cracking lyrics and a chorus that's begging for festival outings until summer of '29, '39 etc.

Love Me Hard and No Regrets are newer sounding retreads of familiar territory a-la Follow Me Home, Too Lost In You etc) and give a little more breathing space for those incredible harmonies to shine - both quite brilliant.

Victory is cracking - I love that the vocals are slightly off-beat in places, making for a wonderful change in pace and tension in the overall production - it's like something lifted directly from either of the last two All Saints albums - a very good thing.

Back In The Day is a perfect closer to a brilliant album and such an emotional listen, knowing what these three women have been through over the years and how they've fought back for their right to simply exist. A beautiful, graceful, impactful track.

Of the three deluxe tracks, Breathe In is the highlight - slight air of menace, darker, Depeche-Mode-esque industrial sound, though if that ending had followed through to a full minute of ethereal gothic acapella it would have been even better.

The only tracks I've not taken to so far are Today and Beat Is Gone and I don't know where it sits in terms of recording sessions etc, but the Rebel Heart-esque Up In Flames should have it's time to shine, as should Love In Stereo, though I'm okay if we Bananarama's version remains the only version released.

As returns go, The Lost Tapes is brilliant. As 8-10 year old albums finally seeing light of day go, it's nothing short of spectacular. Very excited to see where Sugababes go in 2023 and hope for a 'full / proper' return with a brand new album, they've more than earned it.

Status
Not open for further replies.