Sugababes - The Lost Tapes (Deluxe)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there were unfortunately probably 2 main problems back in 2013:

1. The choice of Flatline as a lead single. Not sure why this was chosen over Summer of 99 or Today. I love the song, but it wasn’t the right one to get them back to a mass audience which links to…

2. Flatline wasn’t playlisted by radio 1. I remember a rumour that radio 1 felt their gig audience was too old (?!). Radio 2, no idea why, also ignored Flatline. Without radio play, their exposure was limited. I imagine this might have panicked Polydor to think it didn’t really matter what song was released after Flatline if radio was ignoring them.

It was such a shame, as before the Flatline release it felt like there was such positive momentum. However glad things are what they are, as I think they are having success now in 2022/2023 in a way that may have been harden in 2013.

Lest we forget they rush released the song mid-week so it only had three days of sales - an absolutely catastrophic error. I don’t doubt Keisha’s story about the people who signed them moving on, but I think it’s pretty clear the horrific charting of Flatline is what ground the entire campaign to a halt. Ironically, #50 would be pretty decent for Today!

Come on, Flatline was both an amazing song and first single. It had it all. I think their flop was due to some sort of (very) bad luck.

Summer of 99 is an amazing pop song but Flatline was a statement.

Also, Radio 1 wouldn't have playlisted them in any case.

Guys I’m sorry for asking all these questions but I haven’t followed this and it’s all so fascinating… but what **exactly** did Keisha (the rest??) have to do to get the name? Was there a big court case?

Any links to articles would be appreciated in lieu of making someone tell a long story.

Flatline was an amazing first single and it's a very good choice. I still don't get why Today is so popular here, I really don't like the chorus at all.

Guys I’m sorry for asking all these questions but I haven’t followed this and it’s all so fascinating… but what **exactly** did Keisha (the rest??) have to do to get the name? Was there a big court case?

Any links to articles would be appreciated in lieu of making someone tell a long story.

She registered the trademark in the US which was approved right away, but then she did the same in the UK and that was opposed by Crown, who also had the trademark registered. It took years I think until Keisha's application went through.

Lest we forget they rush released the song mid-week so it only had three days of sales - an absolutely catastrophic error. I don’t doubt Keisha’s story about the people who signed them moving on, but I think it’s pretty clear the horrific charting of Flatline is what ground the entire campaign to a halt. Ironically, #50 would be pretty decent for Today!

I think it was a case of lack of support, and underperformance due to that lack of support. There were signs of low promo budget and small support from the label, like as you say the midweek release, the extremely long time between the 30 second preview and when we got the actual song, the fact that they saved money creating a lyric video by purchasing the rights to a fanmade one...

It really felt like the label didn't know what to do with them and were waiting to see if the single would push the campaign on its own.

Mvnl

Staff member
It might just be me being familiar with it by now but the 'feelings of yesterday' melody really sounds like it came straight out of an old days Sugababes song. It's not my favourite here but it's very Sugababes.

I'm still getting to terms with these songs I kinda knew already now being an album. Love all of them, not entirely sold on the 'all uptempos at the start then going all mid/downtempo from there on' tracklist though.

I remember Siobhan's tweet from late summer 2012 when she announced/stated that the album is done. But then they went back to studio again and again so it seemed the label was delaying any music release and they kept going back to studio. Similar thing happened in early 2013 when we had the snippet and live performance of Boys and it seemed they're ready to go but then they went to US to record even more.

So from what I can see, Today is newly playlisted on:
  • New Music Friday UK - 822K likes (4th spot)
  • The Pop List - 729K likes (9th spot)
  • All New All Now - 538K likes (5th spot)
  • New Music Friday AU & NZ - 353K likes (28th spot)
  • New Music Friday France - 283K likes (72nd spot)
It saw a boost of around 70,000 streams last week, with low spots on the New Music Friday playlists (WW, Mexico, and a few more in Asia). However, with higher spots in territories where they're already well known this week, I'm hoping for a bigger impression.

It's on New Pop Picks and New Music Friday Suomi (Finland) too.

Last edited:
I'm kind of gagged that Today is being positioned so well (most artists would kill for a high slot on New Music Friday like that, let alone a legacy act) because I presumed this album would just be a cute little for-the-fans moment and that's it. They must be pushing it behind the scenes a bit?

Now let's get the girlies over at Radio 2 on board because this would fit perfectly on their playlist.

he/him
This interview with Siobhan when Flatline was released talks a bit about the radio issue at the time https://www.popjustice.com/articles/siobhan-donaghy-interview/
The interview is such a 2013 time capsule with its Instagram filters or the Roar x Applause mentions, kii.
Also this part was always sending me
You said earlier that you were looking ahead to the second single, do you know what it’s going to be?
I think so but I know we’re not allowed to say what it is.

Have we already mentioned it in the course of our conversation?
Yes.

So it’s not ‘Today’?
(Another silence) Oh, we haven’t mentioned ‘Today’. Well then, erm… Oh you’ve put me in a difficult position.

Such a wild reading in the year of 2023.

Last edited:
This interview with Siobhan when Flatline was released talks a bit about the radio issue at the time https://www.popjustice.com/articles/siobhan-donaghy-interview/

Thank you for digging this up! I like this quote about Flatline: "For us it’s about building up some longevity for playing live." It's nice to think it still has a place in their setlists a decade later.

It's amazing how they have restored the MKS campaign, even to the point of pushing the same song they intended as second single. Apart from the 10-year wait, it's like we are getting exactly what we were meant to have. It's such a rarity.

Status
Not open for further replies.