Sugababes - "When the Rain Comes" + 9th Album

Have you noticed any mastering improvements/fixes? Does Siobhán’s middle 8 still skip? Dare I ask, how does ‘Summer of ‘99’ sound?
It definitely sounds better in general just overall. I think because the mixes are a lot less compressed they sound less muddy and cloudy.

I didn't notice any skips!

And Summer of 99 actually sounds like it makes more sense on vinyl; all the elements of the production are given the space they need and it honestly sounds like quite the bop. Definitely less crunchy but still has a bite to it that comes through a lot clearer here than on the digital files.

It definitely sounds better in general just overall. I think because the mixes are a lot less compressed they sound less muddy and cloudy.

I didn't notice any skips!

And Summer of 99 actually sounds like it makes more sense on vinyl; all the elements of the production are given the space they need and it honestly sounds like quite the bop. Definitely less crunchy but still has a bite to it that comes through a lot clearer here than on the digital files.
Glad to hear it’s sounding good!

I edited my original post regarding skips, the vocal during Siobhan’s middle 8 of ‘Drum’ skips on the digital release. Apparently due to a glitch that was ‘stamped’ on the original vocal stem.

The introduction of that interview with Mutya being told the wrong time so she wouldn't be late and her physically hurting the interviewer with her nails is the funniest thing.

Also this part added a new layer of meaning that makes me love the new song even more:

Did you ever think about giving up? “No, we all knew it would work,” Donaghy says. “Some of us checked out. But that just meant you couldn’t continue to push. We couldn’t always get over some of the humps.” Buchanan says that it was during the trio’s time in “the trenches”, as she calls the last decade or so, that their already-scrutinised relationship was tested the most. “We had to establish a new form of patience with each other,” she says. “When everything’s going well it’s fine, but actually can you stick through these things when it’s not going the way you’d like them to?”

Donaghy immediately notices Buchanan’s neat segue into the themes of When the Rain Comes, a harmony-laden, retro-soul number reminiscent of Buena’s unfairly forgotten 2007 solo debut, Real Girl. It was inspired by the recent re-emergence of ghosts from their past keen to get a slice of the action now that the Sugababes are riding high.

2998.jpg
Love this one.
It's giving
tumblr_ll2ecksvdk1qzcwzbo1_500.jpg

Staff member
The Guardian read is great! They're right, we all are rooting for them so hard. This bit made me squeal when Keisha said she was contacted only months after her exit about reforming with Siobhan and Mutya,

“I was hesitant because I needed to heal, like, ‘Leave me alone, these girl band bitches are crazy!’”

“At the time they were going to replace [Berrabah] and I was against her leaving. Then I thought the band had disbanded – that was the agreement.”

I...
Isn’t this was Heidi has always said. Sounds like management played all the girls off each other.
Lovely that Scott supported them so much on Radio 1 back in the day, and now he can on Radio 2!
and with Graham Norton at the show a slot on the GN show must be a given!

I really hope they have a couple of singles ready to go and they get a full campaign, that really would be the cherry on the cake.

I guess management had decided 3.0 was untenable and tried to get rid of Amelle (presumably they felt she was unreliable after the whole disappearing/"fake dead friend" mess). I suspect Keisha had the sense to realise the group couldn't survive another line-up change - any line-up change. So she wanted to either carry on as they were or split up, but wouldn't go along with another change-up. So Crown decided to get rid of Keisha instead. She left thinking they had split up, they went on without her and, well, we know how that worked out.

Last edited:
It makes sense now to hear how they spent their own money flying over to America to work on Flatline and (I imagine) use Siobhan's contact in the fashion industry at the time to get her to direct the video in that one day shoot. I remember them saying they only had one day and until the sun set (if I'm correct). Imagine having label backing, only then to have it taken away from them. Crazy really. They've done so well to stay together and it really does show how rising tides lift all ships!