Sugababes | Page 1202 | The Popjustice Forum

Sugababes

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Popjustice, Jan 17, 2010.

1. I mean dd the Sugababes have always been terrific singers, no matter 1.0-4.0. Complete talent.

vs

I love them both, but yeah.

2. What are you implying?
    [​IMG]

3. Heidi's harmonizing skills are very underrated. She did great here.

4. Here is my (partial) review of "Three"(@spillett I hope you didn't wait too long):

One of the first things noticeable on the album is the band's growth, both lyrically and musically.
    Themes broaden and they mix and match different musical styles.
    As for the songs, the opener "Hole in the Head" is an instant, bouncy jam which is one of the album highlights. The hook that Mutya sings ('why'd you cry, for the guy?...') is so addictive and one of their best moments, and, of course, the chorus is really catchy.
    Another thing that I really like about this album is that it is 'ballad heavy'. As always, there is a ballad among the first few tracks, which is "Caught in a Moment". To me, it sounds like a (a bit weaker) continuation of "Stronger", but only sonically. With trip hop elements, which is always a great thing, it manages to stand out among the other songs and create a lovely atmosphere. I love the vocal delivery of the girls on it, too. Continuing with the ballads, "Situation's Heavy" offers an interesting take on one. With the garage beat and fast changes between the sections, you can link this mid-tempo ballad to some of the Sugababes' work on their debut. At first, it sounded like it lacks a bridge, but after repeated listens it didn't bug me at all. Heidi's vocals sound beautiful on the chorus, which may be the best part of the song for me.
    Another slow song is "Conversation's Over", whose magic, unfortunately, I didn't hear and was a bit underwhelmed by it in the beginning. Maybe I shouldn't have read all the praise for this song before listening to it, but eventually it grew on me and it's good now. Verses have a bit of darkness and are great. However, the only thing which is amazing about is the instrumental and the production, with those guitars appearing here and there and the gorgeous strings at the end. Another thing that I noticed that it was the only song I couldn't remember after first few listens. "Too Lost In You" almost passed by without me finding out it was a cover of a French song (and that by Particia Kaas). I find it really good, but with potential to be even better. The interchangeable singing of the lines (especially on the bridge) is something new for Sugababes and it would be great if they did it again in the future (note that I still have to listen to four albums + the leaks). I wouldn't call it a standout, though.
    Now, let's move on to some more of my favorites. I really appreciate "We Could Have It All" and "Buster" in the underrated type of way, which almost makes them the highlights of the album. The former offers some more rock and edgy/darker style, which gives even more variety to this album. I absolutely adore the post chorus of it. "Buster" does the similar thing, but in a different way. Mysterious and slightly melancholic, it manages to remain interesting throughout thanks to the various cool effects that are used. And how can I forget the operatic vocals? It's pretty much a genius addition. Mutya's ad-libs at the beginning (and throughout) are a delight! It could've done without Keisha's rapping, but whatever, it's such a great song.
    And, best for the last (for now), it's "Million Different Ways". I was simply amazed by this song! The way it just changes the melody so fast and the post chorus - it all falls into place. The melody is perfect, as well as the production. Uplifting, but still with some sad elements, it's different from anything they've done, which makes it stand out even more. Heidi's bridge is just outstanding (that final note, whew). And the fading outro... What an anthem! How it didn't become a single? One of their best songs, for sure.

At this point, I realized that this is going on for far too long, so there will be a part two of this review, featuring the remaining tracks and the B-sides.

Excited to hear "Taller in More Ways" next (tomorrow).

berserkboi, Robert, goodra90 and 2 others like this.
  5. I find Taller in More Ways all over the place sonically and it was the start of "slow the track down, give Heidi the slow middle 8 section." which always bugged me. It happens a bit in Three too but I just seemed to notice it more on Taller. For me, it's a good album with some fantastic highs but also some really basic lows.

6. Taller in More Ways
    Catfights and Spotlights
    Angels with Dirty Faces
    Three
    Sweet 7
    Change
    One Touch

Santi319 and _Gru_ like this.
  7. Thanks for 'warning' me, because I mostly love her bridges/middle 8's. It still bugs me how Keisha sings the middle 8 on Heidi's solo track "Sometimes" - it just doesn't feel right.

8. Keisha’s Middle 8 and Mutya’s Adlibs are the best thing about Sometimes. LETS BE REAL NOW.

9. I never got the militant adoration for Too Lost in You...
    Easily the least memorable pre-3.0 ballad
    The musical structure always felt very natural pre-Taller...
    Taller in More Ways, despite its incredible high moments (Follow Me Home and 2 Hearts), is the point at which things started to feel a bit formulaic...
    This is particularly true on Red Dress, where Heidi's part basically kills the song's entire momentum...

berserkboi and Maki like this.
  10. Round Round says hi.

sesita, londonrain, Robert and 2 others like this.
  11. I don't remember Mutya having adlibs, clearly it's been too long since I listened to that song.

Maki likes this.
  12. "Round Round" definitely has the best Heidi middle 8 that I've heard so far.

distant_cousin likes this.
  13. I always loved Sometimes.

berserkboi and Maki like this.
  14. Sometimes is so schmaltzy but I love it.

15. It’s cute. That’s about it. I will forever love Heidi.

16. Denial remains Heidi’s standout middle 8 for me.

cheida, _Gru_, Santi319 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Million Different Ways

There is no other correct answer.

18. That and Never Gonna Dance Again.

19. The Never Gonna Dance Again middle 8 is truly special - particularly the little break with the acoustic guitar and the handclap and then BOOM final chorus. What a moment.

20. Change (the album) is epic TBH...

londonrain, Sugaboy and _Gru_ like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.