Sugababes | Page 1617 | The Popjustice Forum

Sugababes

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Popjustice, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Heidi looks fantastic! Her mannerisms are badass!

Sugaboy, ssa and goodra90 like this.
  2. Epic! How do I still remember this? Lol

Robert likes this.
  3. YES! SugababesUK 2006 days.

Robert and Sugaboy like this.

4. This version is fine but it makes me roll my eyes, because there’s nothing wrong with the original.

I remember in the early/mid 2000s, any British act trying to crack the US felt the need to reshoot their videos (Leona Lewis comes to mind), but they really didn’t have to!

I just know some US label/management exec would have said “let’s re-cut it without the boyband in case America gets confused about who the Sugababes are.”

It’s pretty clear who the Sugababes are! The girls wrecking the stage in their over-the-boots was one of the best parts, and I really liked the narrative of the cheating boyfriends/band members!

Anyway, rant over.

5. Watching the nothing burgers getting grilled rather feebly, repeatedly, was what it was like as a US fan - London waited too long (Summer '01) and by the time they were about to try Run For Cover as a single (after Overload didn't work,) Siobhan was already out the door. Interscope tried three times in 2002-03 with Freak, Round, and Freak again - apparently that Interscope (Universal imprint) was merely lip servicing the tip sheet to US radio was supposed to count for something, or some other shit - identical to their repeated failures at US radio with Sophie's Murder on The Dancefloor - anyway - bungled bungled bungled.

That 'Hole In The Head' sort of gurgled (US R&R CHR Top 30) was weird as fuck as also happening was the launch of Mis-teeq's 'Scandalous', with a really crappy 'US Mix' that managed to hit #10 on said R&R Chart. Anyhow, as it was climbing (no pics in any promo, as Americans supposedly get squishy when presented blended ethnicity) - so so someone at interscope got this brilliant idea together that they were going to create a hybrid album out of Angels and Three and that's where that infamous US Version shit started to surface AGAIN and that is where Whatever Makes You Happy was being eyed for (and was remixed for) single release only to have Hole stall at Number 23 (Billboard #96, #1 'Club Play', at the time a '$elf reported' rather than actually metered chart) and nothing else going forward. But yeah, a hybrid album with no photos.

Push The Button. Should have happened. We waited. Perez Hilton even bragged about it and them. Crickets. Then Mutya's gone.

About You Now wasn't even attempted. Girls got used for Desperate Housewives promos. Get Sexy was belatedly starting to happen when.....Keishagate happened.

They are pretty much an underground commodity here in the States - people know they're supposed to know who they are and you get a lot of 'oh yeah, totally' when someone is trying to seem cool. I think they're going to have a much easier time today for a number of reasons not the least of which is that they've had such an run of halfassedness on their labels part and that will make killer background buzz when whoever tries with them next. Add the whole name and Polydor drama, their own personal dramas, their very distinct individual personalities, and their almost freakishly perfect vocal skills and seriously, America will fall in love with them.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2020
  6. It’s such a shame that Push the Button was the first lead that wasn’t tried, because if any of their singles could’ve broke through here, that would’ve been the one. (About You Now could’ve done it to, but we got the iCarly version instead lmao).

I’m sure it didn’t help with Hole in the Head that they tried to “rebrand” them by removing them from the cover? The generic three silhouette cover literally looks like something ready to end up in the FYE bargain bin, which it absolutely did. I picked it up for 88 cents there a couple years ago. The remix included was also horrible.

7. Ok the US fans are breathing fresh new life into this forum right now and it's brilliant!

8. I would disagree that Push The Button would have been a hit here in the states. Underground hit, maybe.

jakeyfw likes this.
  9. Amazing post, but this specifically is fascinating - was the remix just on production and length, or were they going to add Mutya and Heidi's vocals (besides harmonies) to it as well?

Runawaywithme, berserkboi and Island like this.
  10. Not saying it would’ve been huge necessarily, it just sounds more like something that would’ve been a hit than the songs they actually pushed here.

berserkboi, Island and Quimogen like this.
  11. As far as I’m aware, there are two versions of it out there but they’re both still Keisha solos.

12. I still don’t hear the alleged differences between the album version and the US mix that was supposed to be on the album promo. I remember playing the promo for the first time, thinking, “LIES!”

Robert likes this.
  13. This is really eye opening! It's really so disappointing how the "delayed gratification" in the States was also wrecked because of the line up changes and just plain mismanagement, but I don't think I'd trade the Britishness and naturally cool vibe of their work and image in order to launch in America.

Same with Mis-Teeq, but the Telstar fold really fucked that up too.

14. It's probably slightly different now but wasn't the regular launch strategy for any new act in the US at the time to basically play almost every state on promo tour and visit every major radio station in each one, do meet and greets and acoustic sessions and repeat for six weeks. And somehow hope that the market leader stations would get behind your song and then the rest would fall in line. It was what did it in for Oasis, Robbie, Kylie and all the rest. They just didn't have the time and/or the interest in commiting two to three months of their lives in America being nobodies again and leave the rest of the world noticing their absense.

Staystrong likes this.
  15. Haha so true! Also it makes the shots of the two members by the wall just watching soooo random.

Sugaboy likes this.
  16. Keisha’s just uploaded an Instastory celebrating the 16th anniversary of the ‘In The Middle’ video. It warms my heart to see them celebrating their full legacy - including the Heidi years, really.

17. if you think that CORONA is delaying the album, I'm telling you that in italian it means CROWN.

18. This is interesting - I know Eternal faced this even they tried to crack the US with Louise.

Do we think this is something the girls would face if they went to America these days?

Staystrong and Island like this.
  19. I've really been enjoying Catfights and Spotlights recently. It wasn't my favorite when I first got into Sugababes (most of the post-2.0 stuff wasn't, honestly), but the album is a slow burner for sure. It doesn't have the immediate standout singles their other albums do, and some of the lyrics are hilarious. Still, it's more cohesive and classic sounding than Change, which has a much stronger first half than second. Can We Call a Truce is such a good album closer, and Unbreakable Heart should've absolutely been a single.

Burzum, wodny, No hay banda and 5 others like this.
  20. Honestly, I don’t think the majority of this country could care less about any girl band once Destiny’s Child tooI* off. I don’t think any other girl band stood a chance against their promotional machine.

*Took

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.