Sugababes

I’m so pleased for them, and us. It’s still a stunning album and still encapsulates the raw, teen angst of the time quite well. For it to have outperformed it’s original peak without any promotion is an achievement. They delivered an incredible anniversary edition that many fandoms would salivate over. If that wasn’t enough, they firmly cemented the return of the original Sugababes in name and form. They gay gods have been good to us this year.

he/him
I was so excited for the two t-shirts that came with the bundle and I tried them on today...they're very much for people who are tall and slim, aren't they? I ordered large and they're like dresses on me but also tight as heck! So gutted.

So I had long dismissed this album, after not clicking with the singles bar Run for Cover (it took me a while to get Overload), but after sitting with this remaster for a week I can say Soul Sound and New Year are probably my least favorite? It feels like they had so many better options for singles.

After many plays of this over the past week, Mutya’s bridge/middle 8 in Real Thing is now possibly my favourite vocal moment on the whole album.
It sounds particularly amazing on the alternative version.

So I had long dismissed this album, after not clicking with the singles bar Run for Cover (it took me a while to get Overload), but after sitting with this remaster for a week I can say Soul Sound and New Year are probably my least favorite? It feels like they had so many better options for singles.

You certainly aren't the first to question the album's singles run. I think most fans view Soul Sound as a bad single choice, especially as it was supposedly a make-or-break single. And while New Year is very popular as a song, releasing a psuedo-Christmas song as your second ever single was a bizarre move. Couple that with the odd timing of the release of the album (a couple months after the first single but a few weeks before the second, in super busy December) and they really didn't stand much chance.

I'll give London credit for going with the somewhat out-there Overload as first single and getting the album tracklist right, but a lot of their decisions were awful. I think the One Touch era easily had the potential to be much bigger with different singles and timing.

And while New Year is very popular as a song, releasing a psuedo-Christmas song as your second ever single was a bizarre move. Couple that with the odd timing of the release of the album (a couple months after the first single but a few weeks before the second, in super busy December) and they really didn't stand much chance.

I feel back in 2000 we were still in the era of big pop groups feeling like they needed to release a ballad at Christmas. So I do think New Year made sense at the time.

I agree Soul Sound made no sense as a single. Promises would’ve been ace.

I think the whole era was a bit too alternative pop to ever be number 1’s like their next few singles/albums, but that is why I love it.