Sugababes | Page 3 | The Popjustice Forum

Sugababes

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Popjustice, Jan 17, 2010.

1. ^ I thought Girls was their first radio play #1? Maybe I just got that impression 'cause they never needed to trumpet that fact with About You 'chart #1 for four weeks' Now.

And here's part two of that video in actually working form! I just had to trim off the Run For Cover video at the end. So all you who wished Real Thing was a single, look on and reflect on what might have been:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qU7zVTt2dM

2. Tommie

Tommie Guest

I'm unsure - the radio airplay charts are sadly not very well-preserved. But I think they used that campaign for Girls since they missed the number one spot and needed some good buzz to be honest.

I think pretty much every single from the start at least was hammered by Radio One? Yes, even Soul Sound.

3. duckface

duckface Guest

Yeah, I doubt Girls hit the airplay #1 and About You Now didn't.

How hilarious were those Catfights ads? "Featuring the #1 smash airplay hit, GIRLS!"

4. Girls is so bad. When Mutya left, I knew it was a matter of time until the Sugababes went to hell, so when I first heard About You Now...I knew they were no longer a cool, credible pop behemoth but a hellish pop parody of the former amazingness. I didn't think they could sell-out (terrible phrase I know) anymore but then I heard Girls. That terrible sample, that awful cheesy chorus, Amelle. All awful.

I really think Keisha went at the right time. You only have to look at Wear My Kiss to know that.

James'Mum likes this.
  5. Tommie

Tommie Guest

Imagine if Overload had giant teacups in the background?

6. I know the original promo was made with no budget but I think it's really stylish. Jay-Z was rumoured to like the original Sugababes which might explain why the recent lot were signed to Def Jam.

7. Tommie

Tommie Guest

8. Heidi admitted that her vocals sounded strange (i.e. not as good) when compared to Siobhan's on Overload. It seems Christina can't capture that special quality Siobhan brought to that song either!

Linda Perry really should know better than to steal that song!

9. Tommie

Tommie Guest

Actually, I think Keisha said that she sounded like a man on it (Keisha that is, not Heidi).

I can't imagine Heidi saying something mildly controversal or self-aware...

10. Does anyone else find Keisha's vocals on Gotta Be You a bit weird? Like she sounds really disconnected from the song compared to Mutya. It's even worse on Amelle's version because Amelle really goes for it.

11. Run For Cover / Real Thing
    Stronger / Just Don't Need This
    Hole In The Head / We Could Have It All
    Red Dress (Mutya version) / Bruised
    Change / Surprise
    Neither of them / Unbreakable Heart

Just noticed on Amazon that most of their albums are priced around £3.50!

Zar-Unity likes this.
  12. Tommie

Tommie Guest

Someone seriously needs to make a gif out of that dance! They were always hilariously lousy. Remember the "down on my knees" routine for Run For Cover? Priceless!

13. A watershed moment for me as a fan of pop music. Honestly. It tipped me over into sheer obsessiveness, although I'd listened to Lush Life over a million times, so I was probably already there. But that moment is one of my all-time favourite moments in pop music ever. It's amazingly half-arsed but possibly deliberate.

They're so sullen and perfectly distanced from their audience. They're not like Atomic Kitten or those hyper-sexed girl groups who grind and flash their fannies (what they became later) but something a bit different....

14. Tommie

Tommie Guest

The thing I loved about 1.0 and all promo for it was that it was so simple - "here's our song, if you don't like it I'll knife you in a dark alley". That's an unusual thing in music then - and today. It's usually all very "in your face", something 1.0 never were.

Zar-Unity likes this.
  15. Oh yes. I remember one of their interviews while the promoted New Year and Siobhan was asked why they chose that song and she just looked at the interviewer like he was a dumb fuck and testily replied:

"Because it's a damn good song."

16. kal

kal

AMAZING!! I would love to see that.

17. Tommie

Tommie Guest

That's one of the reasons I hate not living in the UK - I never got to see amazing stuff like that. I wish 1.0's interviews were more well-preserved but they're hard as fuck to find! :-(

18. Do you like my avatar?

In Denial whipped it up for me. It's amazing.

19. Tommie

Tommie Guest

BEYOND AMAZING.

It's... it's... I don't even know what to say. BEST. AVATAR. EVER!!!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.