Sugababes

I watched their Isle of Wight festival appearance recently and was so impressed with how amazing they were. It looks like they’re putting on one hell of a show!

It also led to me rediscovering Red Dress, which I had completely forgotten about. Don’t think I have heard it since about 2007. Not sure how I managed to have this one pass me by, I am addicted to it! Surely the best song they released post-Mutya (I always thought this was Easy, which for some reason I’m way more familiar with). Red Dress might be one of their absolute best for me actually, it’s doing its own Murder On The Dancefloor on my Spotify.

Fun fact, bit Ugly by Sugababes and Unpretty by TLC were written by the same person, Dallas Austin. I always thought they were very very similar but didn't make the connection at first

Ah, the good old days when high profile producers would (allegedly?) enforce contract clauses where the artist has to release X amount of songs they co-wrote as singles if they are to be featured on the album. See also: Xenomania.

I won't get into how much I love Easy for the tenth time here but I think it's such a 3.0 song (although I'd love to hear 1.0 give most (I'm looking at you Sweet 7) Sugababes song a go.)

Fun fact, bit Ugly by Sugababes and Unpretty by TLC were written by the same person, Dallas Austin. I always thought they were very very similar but didn't make the connection at first

At least he redeemed himself with the production of Gotta Be Legendary.

The thing is, conceptually Ugly could've worked much better just from the place Sugababes occupied in the industry and who they were as young women. The comments made about them, the constant scrutiny, the narratives given to them, Keisha and Mutya's experiences as POC women in mainstream and on their personal lives,... there's something quite interesting there because they actually had something to tell in regards to the concept, but it completely deflated in the execution.

It's too transparent that it wasn't written by them, every part of the song feels like blank statements for the audience to engage with in a very superficial way. But oh well, it was meant as just that kind of pop song, maybe it doesn't need to be thought too hard about.

These both played back to back when I was the only person in a Specsavers waiting room a few years ago and it felt pointed nn
Keisha-Buchanan-Humphrey-s-Eyewear-sugababes-16913649-700-904.jpg