Sweden-Norway Bop Queens Rate - Reveals! (Winner Revealed) | Page 24 | The Popjustice Forum

Sweden-Norway Bop Queens Rate - Reveals! (Winner Revealed)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by DJHazey, Sep 23, 2019.

1. EDIT: SEVEN 10s!!

DJHazey and WowWowWowWow like this.
  2. [​IMG]

3. I can send some personal attacks if you want.

4. Ain't My Fault -7. Listening to it today I should have given it a 6. It's not bad but it's not melodic enough and it's not my favourite kind of production. The part that starts 'No I-I-I-I can't be responsible' is the best part

Play My Drum - 6.5. The title phrase is said too much, I'm not that keen on the verses and there's too much saxophone. But the backing track in the chorus is good.

DJHazey and livefrommelbs like this.
  5. After "Ain't My Fault" yesterday, we lose the 3rd biggest play count among the songs in this rate. I guess we really don't like the 'popular' songs around here do we?

74. Astrid S - Hurts So Good - 7.217

[​IMG]

Astrid S - #2

Norway Extras - #14

Norway - #35

Spotify Plays - #3

Highest: 10 (@Music Is Life)

Lowest: 4 (@iheartpoptarts)

Hazey: 8

Charts/Certifications: #6 (Norway) #41 (Sweden) #41 (Belgium) #176 (UK) 3x Platinum (Norway) 2x Platinum (Sweden) Gold (U.S.)

Easily Astrid S's biggest hit, this Lindy Robbins/Julia Michaels penned slice of pop was never in doubt for representation in this rate for Astrid. I learned about her music from "Breathe" though and originally had it as the second song here, but I went by Spotify plays I think that made me decide on "Emotion" later on. Either way, I expected this to trounce those two despite liking this one slightly more than "Emotion". Either way, some of the latest eliminations should have definitely outlasted this, if you ask me. I like it enough, but whenever people bemoan "Spotify playlist fodder" this is the kind of song I would think of instead the ones we've lost so far. We'll see what you all think, not much based on the commentary.

Play on the title's words:

@Untouchable Ace (8.8) - So Good.

Something Astrid doesn't lack in, is her vocal prowess:

@sfmartin (8) - I love her vocal delivery in this. Palpable anguish and emotion.

Maybe an explanation on how she got so much success outside of Scandinavia:

@daninternational (8.2) - Apparently it's from the Angry Birds movie? LOLZ. I liked it at the time but it has faded.

It's interesting how looking at her wiki, she has this one big hit and not much else and then wins a Norwegian Grammy for Artists of the Year two years later. But the movie placement might have done that. I don't know what an Angry Birds movie is.

About where I'm at:

@livefrommelbs (8.5) - A moody bop! This one kinda flew under the radar for me when it first came out, but I'm loving it here.

It would've been Breathe and another choice if poptarts had her way (and she has had her way with the last few reveals):

@iheartpoptarts (4) - I forget if you put this in or we voted for it but I don’t know, guys… *bops to ‘Someone New’ instead*'

6. Next will be a surprising Annie elimination if you ask me.

7. I swear to God if it is Chewing Gum... I kill you all.

8. I swear the world doesn't have nearly enough fun when deciding which songs to make famous.

9. Oh no.

So you're saying you'd send them all to

73. Annie - Heaven and Hell - 7.222

[​IMG]

Annie - #21

Norway - #34

Spotify Plays - #88

Highest: 10 x 4 (@DJHazey, @Phonetics Boy, @soratami, @Music Is Life)

Lowest: 2 (@daninternational) <---On what planet!?!

That's right folks, we're losing our first Xenomania-produced track from Don't Stop and I can't believe that's happening already. I've always loved this one massively and considered it an underrated gem (along with Loco) -- that's why they're both in this plus they're just amazing pop songs. There's definitely a retro DNA running through this one, with that oldies feel all over the chorus and the opening verse. But the song is bulletproof on the strength of this bridge alone:

TELL ME. TELL ME WHAT DID I DO WRONG? OH BABY, I AM PERFECT.

With Annie gliding through the words that make everything seem like a dream. Now I know the chorus gets repeated a bunch of times and there's hardly much of what I'd call a traditional verse in the song, but I really thought this was going to be Top 40. Unfortunately this commentary (and the average score) leads me to believe I was oh so wrong. Here's to hoping "Loco" does better.

Speaking of "seem like a dream" - how about this dream scenario:

@WowWowWowWow (8) - Why didn't Annie and Girls Aloud ever actually work together (and not on a song that the record label got in the way of releasing)? Sonic sisters for real.

Annie covering "Untouchable" or singing with Nicola on a similarly-styled track though. Imagine.

Here's a fantastic comparison, that makes total sense because of how I love their retro sound too:

@saviodxl (7.8) - Lily Allen-esque

Here's another apt one too:

@iheartpoptarts (7) - Like an S Club song got lost and ended up here. But I do like S Club!

Gotta love how Annie keeps you guessing:

@pop3blow2 (8.6) - I like her ability to switch up her styles… and still consistently write catchy tunes.

If more people thought like this with their scoring maybe it'd still be alive:

@livefrommelbs (6) - Whew, the whiplash from Annie's section is real. I really hope I'm not tanking songs like this that I can see having fans, but this is another track that veered into annoying territory for me.

That's okay because that territory can apparently be worth much less:

@daninternational (2) - Annoying!

No actually I left all of these out of the rate:

@sfmartin (3) - one of the very few misses on the album

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  10. Not too surprised actually. Don't scare us like that Hazey!

berserkboi, DJHazey and WowWowWowWow like this.
  11. It's fun, but I try to mix it up by quoting someone when they're correct too.

12. U lil fuckers kicking out my third fave Annie track before top 20 are going to hell. Sorry, I don't make the rules xx

13. Annie is clearly too good for some of y'all.

14. 72. Anna Bergendahl - Ashes to Ashes - 7.267

[​IMG]

Sweden Extras - #17

Sweden - #39

Spotify Plays - #26

Winner's Rate #3 - #100 (won Eurovizh Alt-Song Contest 2018)

Melfest 2019 - #10

Highest: 10 x 2 (@Ana Raquel, @Music Is Life)

Lowest: 2 (@iheartpoptarts) <---Ever had a rate start off this well for you?

Hazey: 9

Charts/Certifications: #12 (Sweden) Gold (Sweden)

This song is of course here because it was voted in via nominations, but I knew it from the Winner's Rate and it was one of my favorite discoveries. However, I would have never had it on my original list because it doesn't really fit in with the rest of the rate from a sound standpoint. So seeing it beat some legitimate favorites is a bit sad. I can't argue with the voters though who wanted it in the rate, no doubt because they rooted for her in Sweden's Song Contest.

One voter knows what I'm talking about but also doesn't like the song at all:

@iheartpoptarts (2) - So this is a bit out of place…

Someone else isn't here for it either:

@Untouchable Ace (5.1) - No to the music, no to the voice.

Don't tell this person what he just said:

@Eric (8.5) - Lovely tone to her voice.

A suggestion instead:

@Phonetics Boy (6) - Cute but it's not The Army.

I don't think this is the song's problem, but work:

@saviodxl (6.5) - The verses are so good and then you're expecting one big explosion of glitter in the chorus, but it doesn't quite happen. Another song of hers shoulda been here instead.

I live for this face-to-face encounter and I'm sure you will too:

@daninternational (7.2) - One of these songs is not like the other. I saw her outside the bathroom at the ESC 2010 opening party, and told her I like TIML but Pernilla should have won. She was truly shocked at my (great) taste and just said 'oh'.

I don't know, if I met Avril in 2019 I probably would lie and say Head Above Water is her best album.

In Ana's world, she would have taken home both crowns:

@Ana Raquel (10) - SHOULD HAVE AVENGED HER FLOP OF 2010 WITH THIS SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless you mean the song in 2010 was a flop itself, which makes sense with WowWowWowWow's analysis:

@WowWowWowWow (8) - Dr. Anna! So... okay. For anyone who doesn't know, Anna won Melodifestivalen in 2010 with a (frankly) boring guitar ballad called "This Is My Life," and when she went to Eurovision, she didn't qualify to the grand final. This was the first time in... ever?... that Sweden didn't advance (and may still be the only time, at least since the semifinal format was introduced). So when they announced she was coming back, I was kind of ready for her to flop again. And then @Empty Shoebox said something prescient ... that the songs this year were going to be so awful that we would all end up stanning Anna Bergendahl. And she was right. And here we are. Even though it was co-written by the Bridge Troll himself, and I still can't quite bring myself to enjoy the twang in her voice, it is at least a little different than what is out there. We're all just remaking "Wake Me Up" by Avicii in our own ways, aren't we?

Okay so nevermind, Ana probably meant when she flopped in the Eurovision Contest. I figured she wouldn't be into a guitar-driven ballad.

15. I hate that none of Astrid S's actually good songs are featured in this rate.

16. Where were your pre-rate nominations/'For Your Considerations'?

17. Programming: One more reveal today and nothing Sunday (usually I don't like to do very much on Sundays) so there will be extra reveals on Saturday.

18. To be honest I wasn't feeling "qualified" enough to submit any songs, but ... in hindsight I probably should have!

19. Anna Bergendahl beating Play My Drum is as offensive as any MF result since 2013 to be honest. Hopefully I'll meet her outside a toilet again soon to tell her that.

Also - seconding The Army shout

20. I actually rooted for Victorious, but it was my top 3 of MF this year. MUCH MUCH better than the song she went to in 2010. Deserved much better there, deserved much better here.

berserkboi, DJHazey and WowWowWowWow like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.