Sweden-Norway Bop Queens Rate - Reveals! (Winner Revealed) | Page 25 | The Popjustice Forum

Sweden-Norway Bop Queens Rate - Reveals! (Winner Revealed)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by DJHazey, Sep 23, 2019.

1. And I ask the same question here that I asked in the Winners’ Rate:

2. I would tell her 'I Always Get What I Want' is her best song and she'd probably be like, what.

Music Is Life, berserkboi and DJHazey like this.
  3. 71. Carina Dahl - I Don't Care - 7.278

[​IMG]

Norway Extras - #13

Norway - #33

Spotify Plays - #47

Highest: 10 x 4 (@pop3blow2, @dancingwithmyself, @Ana Raquel, @Music Is Life)

Lowest: 1.5 (@CasuallyCrazed)

Hazey: 9

Charts: none (at least not that wiki shows)

When someone mentioned Carina as a possible extra, I already knew this bop would be in it, besides her album Hot Child it's really the only thing I know and love by her and I wasn't about to make people suffer with "Hot Child" which can be quite odd-sounding lyrically (and basic). (Though I love it unashamedly)

Anyways, I know some people said they love this track, so I expected it to do okay, with this being about the placement I expected considering the competition. Probably because of the title and the way chorus pops off this always reminded me of Cheryl's song of the same name.

We know that's the song being referred to here:

@livefrommelbs (9) - This SLAPS. Definitely joins the ranks of quality pop bops called 'I Don't Care'.

Or it can also be associated with another bop queen:

@iheartpoptarts (9) - Very peak era Katy Perry.

Like her "Hot n Cold" for example.

Doesn't matter who it sounds like, they're in!:

@pop3blow2 (10) - A tune & a production with some oomph to it!

Then we have reference to her debut Melodi Grand Prix entry:

@daninternational (9.1) - Boys and Guns was a moment. This is one of the standouts from this album, I love that it sounds older than it is.

Nothing is holding back for our resident 10-queen:

@Music Is Life (10) - What a beginning! “I was dancing to your heartbeat.” Very in your face, not really shouted, but almost feels like it, and that production is so much fun and so great I love it. And that’s how you do a slightly repetitive chorus.

But there's always one party pooper in the crowd:

@saviodxl (5.5) - I don't [care] either

4. I think it's more of a 'California Gurls'!

I've had this song on my phone for legit ages and I swear I've seen it come out on like three different releases of more or less the same album. Wonder what happened there...

5. How dare you treat the 7th place contestant from Big Brother Norway/Sweden 2006 like this!!!!!

6. I can't remember but I downloaded from Spotify and it was either just the single or the I Don't Care EP.

7. this norwaycide though!!!!

8. TOP 70

September

1. September All Over
    2. La La La (Never Give It Up)
    3. We Can Do It
    4. Pretty World
    5. Cry For You
    6. Looking For Love
    7. Satellites
    8. It Doesn't Matter
    9. Until I Die
    10. Can't Get Over
    11. Because I Love You
    12. Taboo
    13. R.I.P.
    14. Sad Song
    15. Freaking Out
    16. Resuscitate Me
    17. Heat Rising
    18. Ricochet
    19. Hands Up
    20. Me & My Microphone // Mikrofonkat
    21. My Emergency
    22. Leave It All Behind

Annie

1. Chewing Gum
    2. Always Too Late
    3. Me Plus One
    4. Heartbeat
    5. Greatest Hit
    6. My Love Is Better
    7. Bad Times
    8. I Don't Like Your Band
    9. Songs Remind Me of You
    10. Take You Home
    11. Loco
    12. Anthonio
    13. I Know Ur Girlfriend Hates Me
    14. Tube Stops and Lonely Hearts
    15. Back Together
    16. Hold On
    17. Invisible
    18. Mixed Emotions
    19. Cara Mia
    20. Out of Reach

Sweden Extras

1. Ace Wilder - Busy Doin' Nothin'
    2. Anniela - Electric // Elektrisk
    3. Elin Lanto - Discotheque
    4. Jessica Andersson - Party Voice
    5. Lina Hedlund - Victorious
    6. Malou Prytz - I Do Me
    7. Marie Serneholt - That's the Way My Heart Goes
    8. Noonie Bao - Pyramids
    9. Titiyo - Come Along
    10. Velvet - Fix Me
    11. Velvet - Chemistry
    12. Velvet - Déjà Vu
    13. Zara Larsson - Rooftop
    14. Zara Larsson - Lush Life
    15. Zara Larsson - Don't Worry Bout Me
    16. Zara Larsson - All the Time

Norway Extras

1. Adelén - Always On My Mind
    2. Astrid S - Emotion
    3. Bertine Zetlitz - Girl Like You
    4. Dagny - Backbeat
    5. Dagny - Wearing Nothing
    6. Margaret Berger - Samantha
    7. Margaret Berger - Will You Remember Me Tomorrow?
    8. Margaret Berger - I Feed You My Love
    9. Sigrid - Strangers
    10. Sigrid - Don't Feel Like Crying
    11. Sigrid - Mine Right Now
    12. Sigrid - Sucker Punch

9. Well, at least one of my 11's made the top 70...ddd

RIP: 'Waterfall'.

10. Hurts So Good - 8. I like the sparse, soulful production which lets the yearning vocals stand out. The lyrics in the verses are very relatable. Someone on Youtube said it sounded like she's singing 'Your love is like....hanging on a banana' and now I can't stop singing that.

Heaven And Hell - 7.5. It's a great chorus and I love the 1960's style production but even though the lyrics are interesting, they are repeated too often.

Ashes To Ashes - 7.5. A bit too much guitar and her voice is a bit raspy for me, but it's a nice melody with good lyrics. Love the 'Wuthering Heights' mention.

I Don't Care - 7.5. Production is very generic but it's a fun listen.

DJHazey and Untouchable Ace like this.
  11. Hey! Sigrid’s Strangers is here!! Hope that does well!! :-D

12. Velvet and Dagny need to vacate the premises. No way they still deserve to be here when Annie has already lost five songs.

berserkboi and DJHazey like this.
  13. Chemistry could go top 1 and I wouldn't complain, the other Velvets are not that great (soz to whoever sent them to PJ00s).

14. Of all the Melodifestivalen entries that I have voted for featured in this rate, I voted for 'Ashes to Ashes' the second fewest number of times, so Lina should have gone first.

15. It's another Norwegian Extra but there's no way I expected it to place this low and it even got TWO 11s to confirm my prediction of a much higher result.

70. Adelén - Always On My Mind - 7.343

[​IMG]

Norway Extras - #12

Norway - #32

Spotify Plays - #31

Highest: 11 x 2 (@livefrommelbs, @dancingwithmyself) 10 x 4 (@DJHazey, @iheartpoptarts, @Ana Raquel, @Music Is Life)

Lowest: 1 (@Verandi)

Charts: #50 (Finland)

PJSC 17 - #10 - PJSC Second Chances 65.5 - #6 (entered by me)

I wasn't even on the forum when this song was first entered in PJSC 17, but somewhere between then and the Second Chances round, I discovered it and instantly fell in love. Of course I wanted to enter it right away when I found out it had already been long since entered. So luckily I got the chance to do so when that Round 65.5 came around. I'm seriously side-eyeing @Verandi with that criminal 1 but this is probably a prime example of the ""Eurodance"" song he is referring to and hates. I do know at one point early on it was doing just fine, somewhere in the 30s where it belongs at the very least but somewhere along the way we lost collective taste and bam here we are. The pulsating beat in the chorus, come on who in their right mind is denying that? I picked it because it's my favorite song of hers (though she never fails really) and it has Popjustice herstory so yeah. Here's a couple other bigtime bops from her:

Well the Eurodance tags are maybe confirmed:

@Untouchable Ace (7.7) - Very Avicii.

I'm sorry, but it's too in your face to not:

@sfmartin (7) - This doesn't really stand out for me.

Here's a request for her most famous song (probably should've just had both in the original songlist, oh well.)

@daninternational (8) - Bombo was a massive moment, the best top 2 in any national final ever I guess. Her other stuff is good but she could never follow that SMASH up.

Yes, she finished 2nd in the 2013 Melodi Grand Prix and another fun fact that both Bombo and Always On My Mind were written by previously eliminated Ina Wroldsen. We love Scandi Bop Queens talent supporting other Scandi Bop Queens talent.

Here's an understatement:

@Eric (8) - A Strong Chorus!

Though someone has a critique about it:

@WowWowWowWow (8) - Ina Wroldsen ha power. Although remember when songs had actual choruses with words and not just EDM-ish drops?

Yes, wordy choruses over EDM drops, most of the time. Cascada was great because they did both.

The math says 24 extra points moves in from 10th to 6th:

@iheartpoptarts (10) - Imagine how well this could've done in the PJSC if it was entered after we got here.

No one was touching the winner that round which had over 150 points, while this had 65.

One 11-giver provided commentary and lets you know what other sonsg they strongly support too:

@livefrommelbs (11) - Literally free of all flaws. Adelen is a kween. I love how this one just hits the ground running from the jump and doesn't really let up the whole way though. It was a close race for my Norwegian 11 (shout-out to Songs Remind Me Of You and I Feed You My Love), but this is definitely the one.

And it only gets worse.

[​IMG]

69. Annie - Always Too Late - 7.352

[​IMG]

Annie - #20

Norway - #31

Spotify Plays - #78

Highest: 10 x 5 (@soratami, @Ana Raquel, @Riiiiiiiii, @Verandi, @Music Is Life)

Lowest: 3 x 2 (@sfmartin, @Empty Shoebox)

Hazey: 9

Charts: none

This was the last single from Annie's debut album Anniemal. Admittedly, it's one of those songs for me with Annie that I usually forget how good it is until I'm actually listening to it. However, I'm concerned at how a lot of her later material is seemingly crushing her classics like this one. I certainly d=did not see things going this way, which is what I tried to warn people about. Some of these results are bonkers. For the most part Annie's best from her first two albums remains alive though (Heaven and Hell aside of course)

Interesting shade towards the production, I'm guessing:

@iheartpoptarts (5) - Well, it’s good for Halloween anyway.

@Untouchable Ace (7.8) - Someone's robbing a museum to this song.

You guys are just making me wanted to listen to real spooky classics like Chipz's "Haunted House".

But let them be educated:

@pop3blow2 (9.1) - Pizzicato strings always get a lot of points from me.

Taking poptarts's strategy of commenting on things that have nothing to do with the song when they clearly aren't loving it:

@daninternational (7.8) - Wasn't sure I had the right song. Why is she replying to commenters on YT, and only has two vids on her channel?

WowWowWowWow is doing the good work:

@WowWowWowWow (7.5) - It's as good a time as any to mention that my niece born in June is named Annie, and I look forward to educating her about Annie Strand and Annie Lennox. (And my other niece, whose name is Charlotte, has some Eurovision and Melodifestivalen catching up to do...)

and Challi XCX has some bops too, don't forget her.

Could've gotten an 11 some day:

@Ana Raquel (10) - This used to be my favorite Annie song. I love how dark it is.

16. I can accept this if we were actually eliminating the correct one.

68. Velvet - Fix Me - 7.359

[​IMG]

Velvet - #3

Sweden Extras - #16

Sweden - #38

Spotify Plays - #33

Highest: 10 x 5 (@DJHazey, @WowWowWowWow, @Ana Raquel, @abael, @Music Is Life)

Lowest: 0.5 (@CasuallyCrazed) <---you meant 10.5 right, which I would've allowed to avoid this score.

Charts: #7 (Sweden) #14 (U.S. Dance)

The reasoning behind my choices were that Chemistry is undoubtedly my favorite Velvet song, Deja Vu has the Melfest and PJ00s impact, and this was just overall the most quality. Why do I think that? Well I got into this album way back in 2009 on bubblegumdancer.com and it seemed like we all touted this as the clear and away favorite on the whole album. (I know it had already been out before that but we all didn't know that) It just sounds like the one that hits on all the right pop sensibilities and would get the best reception since I knew Velvet would be a discovery for a few of you. Boy was I wrong, because it's the first elimination for The Queen.

Well at least it's a "BOOOPPP" even if that got varying scores:

@Eric (7.5) - A good basic bop!

@Music Is Life (10) - Epic bop, obviously.

Maybe this is the best measurement of the 'Music Is Life effect' on a score. I like his better obviously.

A prelude to a theme you will see a lot of later in this countdown:

@iheartpoptarts (8) - In the great September tradition everything is a medical emergency.

Always here for dishing out the Eurodance discoveries. Basically my PJ00s resume:

@livefrommelbs (9) - I've been craving a little more of that eurodance sound, and Miss Velvet sure done delivered!

Our voter with all the celebrity encounters, strikes again:

@daninternational (9.8) - It took me a while to get this, but when I did I really did. And meeting Jenny herself was an honour <3

In a different world this person thinks Velvet would've had her own 'main section' in this rate:

@WowWowWowWow (10) - I wish Velvet had the chance to break worldwide. She always seemed like she was right on the cusp of joining Agnes and September -- she certainly had the bops for it -- but it just never seemed to click. Sad!

I kind of expected this next elimination sooner or later, but it's still a 10 so actually I'm glad it lasted as long as it did! One of my favorite songs of 2019.

68. Zara Larsson - Don't Worry Bout Me - 7.376

[​IMG]

Zara Larsson - #4

Sweden Extras - #15

Sweden - #37

Spotify Plays - #6

Highest: 10 x 2 (@DJHazey, @abael)

Lowest: 3 (@Verandi)

Charts: #7 (Sweden) #14 (Belgium) #26 (Norway) #34 (UK) Gold (Sweden)

This return to glory (at least in my mind) for Zara was co-written Tove Lo among others. Clash magazine called it "electrifying and a tour de force of pop energy, backed by a killer chorus and one of Zara's most emphatic vocal performances to date" -- they aren't wrong. Definitely sounds like something Tove Lo would release herself and be one of her better songs. Effortless would be the best way to describe how works for me. It seems like one of the few on the planet that thinks this has easily been her best song in 2019 because All the Time remains. How long will that go? When I first heard it, there was audible "yas" because I had been waiting for a bop to cling onto from her for a long time, as I had kind of lost touch with whatever music she was putting out.

Zara being touted as the queen of combining pushing her sound forward while still being commercially relevant:

@daninternational (9.5) - Modern but still mainstream

Fair but firm:

@livefrommelbs (8.5) - This is definitely my favourite of Zara's more recent releases. It doesn't quite reach the highs of some of her other tracks, but issa bop for sure.

This comment (and accompanying score) confused me when I received it:

@iheartpoptarts (6) - A step in the right direction at the time but not so great in the overall scheme of things.

I remember it was you who posted it this in a PM and were every excited, saying you were happy Zara was dealing out the bops again, and then this 'cooling off' on it. Wow.

17. Lately I’ve been feeling strange, deep down inside, when I see the results of this rate!!!!

(Although I assume that today’s youths would be like “Why would I ever be ‘sitting BY the telephone’?!”)

18. @CasuallyCrazed using his powers for good for once. We love to see it.

19. At least then it can beat Courtney Stodden. Way to go old PJSC!

This sounds like something I would write.

It's a bop by 2019 standards but not so much by this-rate-where-everything-is-amazing standards.

20. Holy moley these eliminations, I don’t understand?! WHAT IS HAPPENING.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.