Sweden-Norway Bop Queens Rate - Reveals! (Winner Revealed) | Page 28 | The Popjustice Forum

Sweden-Norway Bop Queens Rate - Reveals! (Winner Revealed)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by DJHazey, Sep 23, 2019.

1. I'm more disgusted at my random capitalisation in my commentary! My apologies - I must have been tired!

2. Re: This Rate

[​IMG]

62. September - Sad Song - 7.513

61. September - Leave It All Behind - 7.515

[​IMG]
    (Sad Song)

September - #19

Sweden - #33

Spotify Plays - #70

Highest: 10 (@Music Is Life)

Lowest: 0.25 (@CasuallyCrazed)

Yes, that's right, September has now lost more songs than Annie, at 8 to 6, after holding a commanding lead for so long. This is another album track from Dancing Shoes that I've always held in high regard, but we're now only left with "R.I.P." and "Freaking Out" in that department. Honestly, I expected both of those songs to hang on the longest as far as the album's non-singles and they're both ranked higher for me among her songs. So with that being said, things could've been much worse and I really cannot complain at anything except that ghastly 0.25, come on @CasuallyCrazed what are we doing I thought you were a big September fan? Stan-card found taken away and buried.

Oh, point me to the artist that inspired this sound please:

@WowWowWowWow (8) - A slice of 80s-tasticness

Well this voter does often say they don't like to genre-tag, but this is a curious descriptor:

@pop3blow2 (9.5) - This rocks a bit! Dancing Shoes is an album, I tell you.

Well okay yes, it bops or it rocks, it commands your attention, I get what you're saying.

Yas at all this praise for my Swedish queen:

@livefrommelbs (9) - This was such a great discovery for me! Love the production here, and once again Petra's knack for a melody is in full display on the chorus.

In fact she's the queen of sad bops:

@daninternational (9.9) - Sad songs that are majorly uptempo FTW

@Music Is Life (10) - Love how it’s called Sad Song and it’s a total bop with handclaps and drums and great vocals and a catchy melody. Love the lyrics, honestly. The midde-8! The electric guitar! Yes!

I don't even really notice that there's an electric guitar, I'm too busy bopping I guess.

The song itself fooled you:

@iheartpoptarts (5) - It’s not really, so that’s nice.

[​IMG]

(Leave It All Behind)

September - #18

Sweden - #32

Spotify Plays - #90

Highest: 10 x 3 (@DJHazey, @Ana Raquel, @Music Is Life)

Lowest: 3 (@Empty Shoebox)

This was on September's compilation release of Cry For You - The Album, which her first official release in the UK. One thing about her discography is that it's kind of hard to keep in order what album what songs originated on because it's like everything got re-released in multiple countries with new slightly different track listings. Like a lot of your favorite artists, "Leave It All Behind" was that one new song added to a re-release of material to get buyers. The problem was, this album was not bought much at all and in fact the physical release of it was cancelled altogether so it was only a digital release. For some reason it eventually got removed from UK iTunes in 2018. It's probably why it only has like 4,000 plays on Spotify because not everyone even knows of its existence. What I do know is Leave It All Behind is a major bop and it's a shame it wasn't a lead single on one of her standard albums. I put right into the same category as "Freaking Out" and "Can't Get Over" and consider those three songs to be a trinity of sorts. Glad to something without much public exposure go so far in a rate like this though, beating out songs with 100 million+ more plays than it.

Maybe they like those other two more?:

@WowWowWowWow (7) - Treads over familiar territory, but doesn't improve on it

@iheartpoptarts (6) - When I’m too spoiled for bops some of them get 6s, oh well.

This...well I think this would not be one of the first bands I'd be reminded of:

@daninternational (6.3) - I realize I make a lot of comparisons. But there's some kind of Aqua reminder here

Setting the bar high, I like it:

@Eric (9) - Definitely up there with the best late 00s dance-pop

Well technically she's a solo artists but the sentiment is appreciated:

@sfmartin (9) - All my favourite bits about the band rolled out into another great song.

When we have a big PJ get-together in Australia one day, this is on the playlist:

@Untouchable Ace (9.4) - Fill a dancefloor with this.​

3. ...........well as long as it's not Annie

4. [​IMG]

5. Kicking out those bops when there are some traumatisingly bad extras we could be eliminating?
    [​IMG]

6. People have only there Zara Larsson scores to blame.

7. Thems da bops though, so both of those kinda hurt...

I most certainly do not!

8. At this point I have absolutely no concept of what songs could be out next, so I’m just buckling up, holding on and praying the ride ain’t too bumpy

9. It ain't a crime to sing a sad song, one about ROBBED, now that it's gone :'(

10. What is it about it? I tried relistening for things I don't like and I couldn't find any!

And now we 90s party.

WowWowWowWow, DJHazey and berserkboi like this.
  11. The actual fucking nostalgia hitting me right in the face here... I can't.

12. Sad Song was far and away my least favorite September track, I'm shocked to see it last this far to be honest. That shouty singsong chorus does it no favors and the overall vibe is just too corny.

Leave It All Behind on the other hand feels like classic September -- it left way too soon.

13. YIKES at all those September leaving.

14. Taboo - 8.5. The best part is the piano-like synth chords throughout. Not a fan of the way the male voice sings the lyrics. Still a great song with fab lyrics.

Don't Feel Like Crying - 8. Love the stabby synth strings with subtle piano underneath and when the beat kicks in. The song is more complex then you first think. A grower and would get a 8.5 now.

Pretty World - 9. This has a great vocal performance laden with disappointment but also defiance. Love the 'um-chah' beat and the fantastic synth line in the intro and choruses.

15. Alright, I'm down with eliminating this one now actually.

60. Velvet - Déjà Vu - 7.519

[​IMG]

Velvet - #2

Sweden Extras - #14

Sweden - #31

Spotify Plays - #57

Highest: 10 x 3 (@Ana Raquel, @abael, @Music Is Life)

Lowest: 2.5 (@CasuallyCrazed)

Hazey: 8

Charts: #2 (Sweden) #1 (Turkey) #2 (PJ00s VII)

Deja Vu was Velvet's second attempt to represent Sweden in the Eurovision Song Contest. In 2006, she missed it when "Mi Amore" lost out in the Second Chance Round. It did gain a lot of popularity though, even becoming 'Song of the Year' in Bulgaria.

So when the 2008 Melfest came around, Velvet was a known quantity, garnering great reviews but flopped hard by not even getting out of her semifinal. Though it ended up being her most successful single in Sweden.

That second place it got in PJ00s is significant to me because it lost to my entry, which became my first ever song contest victory with Lenka's "Trouble Is a Friend".

I think I may have slightly over-scored Deja Vu because I don't even use it from her album The Queen anymore (it was an initial standout for sure, but that cooled off quickly). It's one of the few songs lately where I can't have it just effortlessly play in my head as I type, so that says something too. Needless to say, this elimination as long overdue if you ask me.

It was kind of an opposite adventure here:

@WowWowWowWow (8) - As a fledgling fan of Sweden in 2008, I didn't really 'get' this one. But the next year, when Jenny gave us "The Queen" and her giant unfolding dress, I revisited it and came around on it.

It's the favorite of her songs for some:

@pop3blow2 (8.3) - Certainly my fave of the Velvet songs here.

@Ana Raquel (10) - This has always been the song that made me think “oh I really should start listening to her”. Still haven’t done so (but I will I promise!!!!!!). Also, it would have been my 11 if my 11 wasn’t on this rate).

It also just goes AWF for several:

@Eric (9) - Gloriously campy cheesiness and a classic key change!

@sfmartin (9) - In love with this euphoric chorus.

@daninternational (8.8) - Basic schlager BOP

And gets people moving:

@Aester (9.5) - If this were on US Spotify, it would go right to the top of my workout playlist. What a massive bop.

And reminds people of some of their favorite artists (verified via Ultimate Popstars 2019):

@iheartpoptarts (9) - Sometimes I say this reminds me of ‘Every Shade of Blue’ by Bananarama because I’m from Canada and that is a thing I have heard of.'

But there's a little too much going on for others:

@Untouchable Ace (7.6) - The most dated sound in the rate, but these firls really make it work. I wouldn't want computer generated vocal layering on any act I like today.

@Phonetics Boy (6) - Jenny, sis... the kitchen sink!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  16. I know, her being without two songs already is criminal!

Look at the rest of the commentary ddd, it's a sad bop, really chill sounding. Not normal descriptors for classic 'poptart' favorites.

17. Déjà Vu should have been out, like, ten places ago though?

Both the Lenka and Bananarama songs posted are better too. Fight me.

18. Hehe, I love that you went and checked this!

19. I didn't have to check haha, I knew it was one of yours, I was just saying Ultimate Popstars verifies me calling them one of your favorites.

20. Hehe, I love that you memorized my Ultimate Popstars faves. A+ host forever.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.