SZA - Ctrl (Debut Album) | Page 76 | The Popjustice Forum

SZA - Ctrl (Debut Album)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Vasilios, Mar 3, 2016.

1. I thought it was meh on first listen but I'm on my third and I can't play ANYTHING ELSE.

IT'S A STONE COLD BOP. The hype is justified.

2. This has grown on me a little bit, but it still feels like pre-CTRL caliber work for her.

3. It's a great song and I've been listening to it a lot lately but... she has a lot of great songs. This doesn't feel like a moment to me. And maybe it wasn't meant to be? Or maybe I set my expectations too high. Maybe I just want an album release date dddd.

4. This album is beyond words tbh. It's just art.

Hit Different is a good tune, but that song after it..... holy SHIT. That microtonal harmony is absolutely engulfing my entire being.

5. Full video:

sesita and Sail On like this.
  6. Well, after a week’s listen, I think it’s great. Honestly, a lot of her work was elevated for me in the context of the album. She doesn’t feel like a singles artist at all and more like the Frank Ocean type (another artist who shouldn’t be doing a drip feed release) so I hope she just... releases the album.

Euphoria, tea, HippoSteaks and 3 others like this.
  7. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Hit Different is boooooooring I'm sorry.

Mr.Arroz and inevitable like this.
  8. I love it. I love the one without Ty a lot more. Have you heard "Good Days," though? Could very well be her best song to date.

He likes this.
  9. tea

tea

Darkchild and The Neptunes?? Ha Emancipation is coming!

Imagineitwasus and sesita like this.
  10. There's a version without Ty, where?? Can't say I've managed to get into this so far.

11. I was expecting her to up the game just a tad for this new album but I do have to agree with this even though I'm not as hostile to it as I was upon release.

12. She's certainly serving 2003-2005 energy...

Hit Different has grown on me, though. I like it a lot now. I still maintain she can do better.

Mr Blonde and tea like this.
  13. I strongly disagree it’s a huge bop for me !

HippoSteaks likes this.
  14. K94

K94

Hit Different is great - a chill banger that would probably sound even better in the context of an album.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    godspeed, Mr Blonde, rdp and 2 others like this.
  15. I'm content with Hit Different but it's a far cry from basically anything on Ctrl.

It could definitely be elevated within the context of an album (although I would argue all the Ctrl singles stood on their own). It's just the fact that she's chosen this as the first taster that leaves me a bit... worried?

Mikal, tea, nooniebao and 1 other person like this.
  16. This should have been the opening single IMO. It's one of the best things she's ever done and rivals anything on Ctrl. That chorus is the definition of heaven sent.

and for those that wanna hear the solo Hit Different

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.