Take Me Higher! A Ms Ross Classic At 25 | Page 2 | The Popjustice Forum

Take Me Higher! A Ms Ross Classic At 25

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by WhatKindOfKylie?, Sep 4, 2020.

1. I remember I did an interview with David Nathan, writer for Blues & Soul, and he said that he loved Diana's albums Take Me Higher and Every Day is a New Day because they updated her sound but they were still Diana Ross albums. I agree. She sounded very current at the time but it never seemed like she was trying to be cool or be current. It was very natural.

I adore Gone and I Thought That We Were Still in Love. Great, great vocals.

WhatKindOfKylie? and djessie like this.
  2. I'd say Take Me Higher is her most consistent album since since 1980's diana. Somehow it pulled off the trick of managing to update her sound without sounding at all desperate (unlike, say, Workin' Overtime!).

The title track is one of her best-ever singles and was completely robbed on the charts. 'I'm Gone' is so different from and much fresher than the stiff and rather overdone ballads she'd been churning out in the 1990s on Force Behind the Power and the One Woman compliation. And even though I don't think her version of 'I Will Survive' is as good as either the Gloria Gaynor or Gladys Knight versions, it still gave ger a chance to play up her camp charm in the video.

Count me down as a big fan of 'I Thought That We Were Still in Love' as well - very unusual and affecting. Although my one criticism of the album is that 'Too Many Nights' should have been included - that's one of my favourites from this era.

The album's lack of success must have been frustrating - it didn't hang around that long in the UK charts either. The UK music scene in 1995 was perhaps less receptive to this R&B sound than it had been to the Force Behind the Power singles in 1991, but in the US, R&B was pretty much in the ascendant on the pop charts then, so why this made no headway there is baffling. The 'Take Me Higher' single in particular could have gone head to head with anything making the Top 20 at the time.

3. If You're Not Gonna Love Me Right should also have been a big hit. It did have some action on the U.S. R&B charts, peaking at #67.

Her version of I Will Survive reached iconic status when featured in the Kevin Kline comedy, In & Out.

4. If You're Not Gonna Love Me Right, is easily an album stand out. Think that if had served as release in the UK, it could have at least gone top 20, very radio friendly. Or at least do better than Gone, which as much as I adore it, isn't very radio friendly and quite long too.

djessie likes this.

5. Great outtake from the Take Me Higher sessions.

djessie likes this.
  6. After almost 10 years of trying to get this very rare promo box for the album I finally bought it online this morning:

50.png 50b.png

WhatKindOfKylie? likes this.
  7. WOW!! This is fantastic! Congrats! Am assuming it was pretty but pricey though...

djessie likes this.
  8. Thanks! It was actually only about 50 pounds. It´s one of those items I have been really wanting for my Diana collection so I´m very pleased to finally have it.

WhatKindOfKylie? likes this.
  9. Not a bad price at all then!

djessie likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.