Tame Impala - The Slow Rush

I’m seeing him tonight in Perth as part of my Aussie holiday. It’s been far too long since I saw the Currents Tour, and I can’t quite believe the universe (and my travel dates surprisingly) aligned so I could see him again!

My friend works in an entertainment law firm and he was telling me how much artists struggle to collect all the royalties from their songs (even big ones). It's a big convoluted mess and artists would rather just sell the whole catalogue because they don't have to worry about collecting the money over time and it's often more lucrative because of negotiations.

Streaming giving peanuts is to blame.
I mean if somebody is willing to pay massive figures it must be likely that they'll make it back...

What I don't get (and not applicable for an artist like him who writes/produces himself, but very much so for someone like Katy Perry) is - you're only selling your share of what would be collected. What about the other people who wrote, produced etc? If they still need to get paid from every stream/sale etc, how can buying masters be financially viable as a business model?

My friend works in an entertainment law firm and he was telling me how much artists struggle to collect all the royalties from their songs (even big ones). It's a big convoluted mess and artists would rather just sell the whole catalogue because they don't have to worry about collecting the money over time and it's often more lucrative because of negotiations.
Yep, and dad's actually gone through this thing before with a previous label:

https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/bmg-sues-universal-music-group-unpaid-writer-royalties/