Taylor Swift - 1989 (Taylor's Version) + Re-Recordings

How doesn't it make sense? Taylor would still likely be pressing the same amount of vinyl and releasing on other formats regardless if there were multiple variants or not, because she can actually shift the copies to do so. If fans (who are the only people realistically purchasing all 4 copies to complete the clock or whatever) have the extra space to store it all, then that's their business.
You really don’t get it huh. I’ll let you mind your business.

he/him
You really don’t get it huh. I’ll let you mind your business.

I mean, it's just kind of a dumb argument on your part. Sorry!

Luckily for the environment, I have no desire to purchase any of these, because they're all ugly.

giphy.gif

I personally don’t mind an artist doing a couple of variants but when it’s like this constantly, it just reeks of fleecing your fans for every penny they have. It’s just greed.

he/him
I personally don’t mind an artist doing a couple of variants but when it’s like this constantly, it just reeks of fleecing your fans for every penny they have. It’s just greed.
I wholeheartedly agree but I still buy all that crap so I think both sides are to blame.

Album is going up for preorder on normal music retailers now. Looks like the CD variants (with the posters) will be more widely available (limited to HMV in the UK). Not the alternative vinyl covers (yet) or the polaroid versions, though.

Well yes... but no. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy more than one, especially in 2023 when 99% of those ''bonus tracks'' are already online.

Fans go crazy over these things and artists feed them. It's an endless loop, really.

The only time I've side-eyed her marketing was the clock ridiculousness and now we have film shelves? It's icky.

I don't blame Taylor though because she clearly cares about the music it's her team wanting to milk fans dry.

Well yes... but no. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy more than one, especially in 2023 when 99% of those ''bonus tracks'' are already online.

Fans go crazy over these things and artists feed them. It's an endless loop, really.

But ultimately the onus is on the artist. I know personally if I was a popstar (I wish) that I couldn’t in good conscience put out 4-5 vinyl variants every album cycle and all these limited bundles.

I do think they need to morally think about their fans especially when the fan base is as dedicated as Taylor’s is.

I won’t say anymore in this thread on this topic because it’s not a Taylor only issue, it’s a pretty wide spread issue in the industry now. And don’t want to dilute anyone’s excitement for this upcoming album.

At least the variants have different covers. 25 different colours is where it gets silly.

That said she does it to add a couple extra 100.000 copies to her sales. There is no other reason. The argument she'd sell the same amount if there would be just one version is silly. There are tons of fans collecting all variants and they do make a difference. No, 1989 TV wouldn't flop with just one variant, obviously not.

But it still changes the numbers for the better, there must a lot of people collecting all covers.