Taylor Swift - 1989 | Page 34 | The Popjustice Forum

Taylor Swift - 1989

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Laura Vanderbooben, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. There are white women twerking as well.

2. I've run out of witty responses now. I'm just sad.

3. TeenIdle

TeenIdle Guest

What do you think she's trying to portray with her stance and jukebox? It's associating black men and Latino men with being "street".

"What would deleting the scene do"? Really? It's a negative stereotype that isn't just excused cause "stereotypes are the point!!11111".

It's not that hard to get that trying to squeeze people of color into non-stereotype scenes doesn't excuse putting them into stereotypical roles and neither does sprinkling white people in also to really try and make it not seem racist.

4. Yes, I might have said that but it's an argument that was always regarded as irrelevant in the similar Lily Allen case, mainly because (I think?) it was the Black women getting zoomed in on and more seriously objectified etc.

5. Please stop...

6. Sounds like something from Avril's 'Best Damn Thing' album which is slightly worrying but I have a feeling it'll be a grower and probably a hit though by no means is this one of her best singles.

7. TeenIdle

TeenIdle Guest

Weren't you the one 'YAS'ing about Azealia going off on people abusing her black girl craft, but now nothing when black women are decorations? Okay then. Werk.

8. I think it's important to remember that even if we disregard the race issues, the video and the song still suck.

9. 1) I think what she's trying to "portray" is break dancing and/or "street dancing", again the video is about different types of dance, I get your argument about Black women and twerking but there is literally an entire GENRE of movies about Street Dancing using that kind of style, are they all racist and cultural appropriation?

2) How is it a negative stereotype? As someone said earlier the point of the video is Taylor dancing badly while the actual dancers perform whatever style it happens to be well, there's nothing in the video that makes fun of the women (indeed the point is Taylor being self-deprecating), their style of dance is never portrayed in a negative light, it is given equal status with the rest of the styles throughout the video.

3) Ok, how is saying the people of colour were "squeezed" into non-stereotypical scenes alright? Are you saying they didn't get there by their own merit?

10. This is fact

11. My comment was aimed at your incessant need to elevate to a higher plane of SJW existence.

12. Pardon my gif. I feel it would be remiss to not highlight the delicious Zach Rance's twerking abilities in light of the recent debate.

[​IMG]

13. RJF

RJF

Who cares if it's racist? It's terrible regardless.

14. Hey! Hey! Hey! Just think while you've been getting down and out about the liers and the dirty, dirty cheats of the world, you could have been getting down to THIS SICK BEAT!!!!!!

15. Let me hear you say hey hey hey
    Alright
    Now let me hear you say hey hey ho!!

16. Not cool

17. RACIST.

18. K94

K94

I don't like this turn of phrase, but some just don't get it. You don't have to agree with the points necessarily but don't mock the pertinent issue.

19. TeenIdle

TeenIdle Guest

To save time:

1) -
    [​IMG]
    On Miley Cyrus, Ratchet Culture and Accessorizing With Black People - Jezebel

2) -
    [​IMG]
    *Note you never seen a black woman's face as none of them are ever turned to face the camera escape when extremely out of focus in the background.

Easy Out There For A (White) Bitch: A Few Words On Lily Allen and the Continued Use of Black Women’s Bodies As Props - Black Girl Dangerous

3) -
    Cultural Appropriation Is A Bigger Problem Than Miley Cyrus - ThoughtCatalog
    Playing on serious issues of culture appropriation by purposefully playing on it and incorporating it for click bait is offensive and dismissive of an issue. It's also just as much a move by label execs as is the PR-induced move to make sure to include a couple people of color in the non-stereotypical scenes for damage control. A black cheerleader or gymnast or modern dancer, I guess they thought, would somehow excuse the five black women used for their ass? Who knows. They probably thought it'd make for a great think piece about how Taylor could be interviewed and talk about how she probably ~doesn't even see color~ or some ~we all bleed red~ post-racial bullshit, ignoring why it's offensive. And if you can't grasp why it's offensive, see: point 1 and 2.

If she wants to twerk in her home, I guess kudos to her? She should just be smart enough to realize she doesn't live in a bubble and all her work has messages and connotations that she may not be aware of as a white woman.

20. And just like that I want to watch US Big Brother.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.