Taylor Swift - 1989 | Page 35 | The Popjustice Forum

Taylor Swift - 1989

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Laura Vanderbooben, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1) I actually agree with most of what the Jezebel article says but I fail to see it's exact relevance? It's about a Miley Cyrus video, a woman who spent the entirity of her last album campaign building up this image of herself as rachet and "ghetto" borrowing from Black Culture as the article says, Taylor literally dresses up for one scene of one video in "urban" clothes to go with the "urban"/Street Dance part of the video, borrowing the styles of all the other different types of dancers throughout the video.
    I just find it incredulous to compare We Can't Stop, the video which basically sums up everyone's problems with how "problematic" Miley is, to one scene of a video about dancing.

Serious question for a moment, if Taylor's video about different dancing styles ONLY included dancing predominantly associated with White People, such as Ballet or modern dance, would you be happy? Is that the solution?

2) The second article is barely worth commenting on to be quite honest, I've seen tonnes of brilliant articles criticising the Hard Out Here video (several of which were actually promoted by Lily herself) but this quite literally compares Lily Allen to a domestic abuser and implies that she's calling all Black Women bitches.

As for not turning to the camera, isn't this largely because twerking involves shaking your ass? Awkward to turn? However it's a reasonable point and it would have been better if we saw their faces (which for the record there is one or two shots of toward the end)

3) (Surprised you linked to that 3rd article, considering the ridiculous slating it gives Gaga) Again this article makes several good points, but I'm also confused by the exact point your trying to make? I really doubt the reason there are people of colour in the non twerking scenes is so not to appear racist, they were probably just good dancers.

2. So twerking is only to be done by black women in videos by black artists? Where do you draw the line? Is Ariana culturally appropriating R&B?

Thinking something is racist does not make you a more intelligent or better person, let's not try and act, especially with what is going on in America at the moment, that the big problem is Taylor fucking Swift.

3. In fairness to TeenIdle, while I disagree with them on this issue, I've never liked the argument that because there are bigger problems the smaller ones should be ignored (like saying you can't be sad because other people have it worse?) the effects of racial prejudice and systemic oppression are important issues that pervade pop culture and shouldn't be brushed aside.

4. This is madness. There are no issues in this video. Literally not one. Could she have included salsa? Or Bhangra? Or any other form of dance firmly associated with one culture? Could she have included some drag queens or homosexual women?

Irony is, had she been male, this argument would never even have been raised.

5. Dek

Dek

in other news Taylor slaying with her album on iTunes

Album: 1989
    #1 United States
    #1 United Kingdom
    #1 Argentina
    #1 Australia
    #1 Canada
    #1 Dominican Republic
    #1 Ecuador
    #1 Egypt
    #1 Finland
    #1 Hong Kong
    #1 Indonesia
    #1 Ireland
    #1 Italy
    #1 Lebanon
    #1 New Zealand
    #1 Norway
    #1 Peru
    #1 Spain
    #1 Sweden
    #1 Taiwan
    #1 Thailand
    #1 Turkey
    #2 Austria
    #2 Singapore
    #3 Brazil
    #3 Mexico
    #3 South Africa
    #4 Japan
    #4 Portugal
    #4 Switzerland
    #5 Germany
    #5 India
    #5 Netherlands
    #6 Belgium
    #6 Cyprus
    #6 Luxembourg
    #6 Mexico
    #7 France
    #11 Canada
    #13 Russia
    #57 Italy
    #84 Norway
    #137 United Kingdom
    #144 Brazil
    #148 Australia
    #155 Ireland
    #161 France
    #173 Austria

RADIO ADD ALL FORMATS
    08/19/2014

1. 121 TAYLOR SWIFT Shake It Off Big Machine/Republic 121

6. I took clockwork's advice, smoked a bowl and I'm sold.

Music Is Death likes this.
  7. Not for this, Mushyboom! Not for this!

8. I feel like I can't really comment because I'm not black, so who am I to deem what would be offensive?

I will say, if the video had for whatever reason had featured a troop of like stereotypical gays doing stereotypical gay things like mincing around or whatever...I don't think I would care. I don't know if its the same thing or not, but...yeah.

9. merden

merden Guest

I found this offensive

10. TeenIdle

TeenIdle Guest

I mean, I don't think someone should be forbidden to do certain things (which isn't really the conversation, which makes it kind of redundant, I guess, to have these conversations in spaces where people don't want them since it'll be viewed always as restricting the white artist), but she should be aware of her status and any privilege she may hold over people. I don't think Ariana has done or said anything problematic, but you could argue her and Iggy's success selling RNB music and rap music is more telling of the consciousness of the buying public (esp. the white buying public), when they accept those forms of music from white women yet hesitant to black women doing the same. Seeing someone like Tinashe not blow up despite being a huge star is particularly sad.

It is very chicken-or-the-egg, but they're so intrinsically connected, y'know? The anti-blackness and white supremacy being exhibited in Ferguson didn't come out of nowhere. It's present in all aspects of culture. Whether in really sinister ways or more quote-unquote innocent ways that allows a white lens to other non-white bodies so they can be reduced to costumes to wear or props to use.

I respect Taylor for doing the ALS challenge, but it is interesting her, Miley, Bieber, Katy, Gaga, Macklemore, Iggy, etc. are nowhere to be seen or heard from while Ferguson is going down. Everyone wants to wear blackness and use it until you can die from it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2014
  11. Exactly this! I just watch that and think, 'cool, stereotypes'. I don't love it, don't hate it, certainly not offended. It's just...a portrayal of a sector of society.

Maybe I'm being ignorant / not comprehending the issue properly.

12. He looks like a clone of one of my best mates. Wow.

13. Two pages later and I'm still laughing at this.

14. K94

K94

It would obviously be offensive but the mocking of black people is something that dates wayy back with minstrel shows and all so the history concerning that is a lot more dense for lack of a better term.

There is a time, place, and appropriate way of discussing certain issues, but when people try to mock it or act like people are just getting offended about nothing (particularly when they, most likely won't experience that kind of discrimination), rubs me up the wrong way.

15. I hope you don't think this is what I meant..!

16. K94

K94

Nah it wasn't directed at you - it's a general trend I've been seeing lately not even just on this forum.

17. Funnily enough, he has Pray 4 Missouri on his IG page, which while indeed hard hitting commentary, is still something. I'm not trying to defend him because he's reprehensible, I just think it's funny that out of everyone, he is indeed got SOMETHING.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.