Taylor Swift - 1989 | Page 464 | The Popjustice Forum

Taylor Swift - 1989

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Laura Vanderbooben, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

The debut is actually amazing. Cold As You people. Let it take you in.

2. Yeah this one has had an impact on me! And Stay Beautiful is so so basic but so much fun.

I wonder if 1989's success will start some sort of divide between "fans" - those that dismiss her older stuff as country or 'not for them' (ridiculous) and the existing ones who recognise 1989 as great but just another success in a long line of them.

3. Her voice is actually kinda shrieky on the debut.

4. The debut is a complete drag.

5. Someboy

Someboy Staff Member

Speak Now is her vocal peak. That's been the one downside to this shift to Perryland, she surmised that she had to sing like a doll in order for it to work. Not that she was on her way to being Beyonce, but any vocal progress she was making has definitely stopped.

6. I'd agree @Someboy if it weren't for State of Grace. It doesn't even sound like Taylor it's so good.

7. Island

Island Staff Member

I like 'Our Song'…..

8. Pretty much. People think Speak Now is some masterpiece and I found most of it boring and bland, so that doesn't bode well for the debut and Fearless. Love Story (Pop Mix) is a jam tho.

9. Someboy

Someboy Staff Member

I was actually surprised she didn't remix it for the tour, if only to throw a small bone to her original fans.

10. Welcome to the light, sis. It's firmly in Taylor's Top 5 tracks eva.

11. Her debut isn't anything to write home about but it has some highlights. Everything afterward is 100% great though. I think Speak Now still wins as her best. Haunted is probably the best thing she has put her name to.

alanmr likes this.
  12. Cold As You is indeed a career highlight. Give me that Anna of Arendelle anthem.

Speak Now is her peak. It's just an unfiltered, beautifully poetic look inside her mind. There's the ugly (Better Than Revenge) the jaded (Dear John) the coying (Speak Now) the earnest (Sparks Fly, Mine) and of course the centerpiece (Enchanted). It feels so quintessential to her in a way that 1989 nearly reaches but fumbles on songs like I Know Places and Bad Blood where she feels too calculated. I mean, the new her certainly shines on Blank Space, Style, Wildest Dreams, Out of the Woods and dare I say Shake It Off, but you can tell it's the out of the gates pop album Red hinted at. Once she's worn it through this era I think she will fully find her niche and hopefully ditch Tedder altogether unless he hands her a gorgeous electro-string power ballad.

alanmr and Lost In Japan. like this.
  13. The only pre-Red Taylor I like is Love Story and Mean. Everything else I found a chore to get into.

14. As far as I'm concerned, 'Tim McGraw' is the real stand-out from her debut. It could have easily come from someone twice her age. The lyrical maturity coming from someone that young really speaks to her immense writing talent. I agree with Jonathan that 'Cold as You' is another highlight - "You come away with a great little story, of the mess of a dreamer with the nerve to adore you" is one of her best lyrics to date. Overall though, her vocals are a little shrill in places, and as a body of work, it is undeniably a coming-of-age record which is more difficult to relate to once you've left your teenage years.

For some reason, I utterly adore this live performance of 'Tim McGraw'. It's my dream that one day, in the midst of all these pop shows, she'll take it back to the beginning and give us another performance like this.

Something just makes me sad and uncomfortable that people are neglecting four albums worth of material, or classing it as rubbish based on the fact they heard 'Love Story' once on the radio, or they "just don't like country". It's not even a matter of having to like country, as I wouldn't even class Red as a country album, and even Fearless/Speak Now are far more pop than they are folk.

15. Enchanted though. Haunted though. Breathe though. Safe and Sound though. White Horse though.

16. RJF

RJF

I find her songwriting so, so maudlin before Red, and even then it's only because things are slightly tempered with a pop sheen on that album. Despite this album being her first move into pop, it also feels like the first album where she started writing like an adult. I'm not saying she was nothing but an immature little girl before, but there is certain light and shade to her songwriting now that only comes from being a little older, a little more jaded, and little wiser too.

I say this as someone who has actually listened to all her albums barring the debut before the bumpkins grab their torches and pitchforks.

tylerc904 and SMG like this.
  17. SMG

SMG

I could not agree more.

18. I'm not here for Red revisionism. What a great album.

19. RJF

RJF

Who is revising? I still think it's a pretty good album, but it's more transitional than anything with 1989 being the proper move into pop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.