Taylor Swift - 1989 | Page 465 | The Popjustice Forum

Taylor Swift - 1989

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Laura Vanderbooben, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I see what you mean on certain tracks but it seems like an unfair sweeping statement when she was writing songs like Untouchable, Enchanted and Safe and Sound pre-Red.

Fearless is very much the pop country crossover coming of age album that would fit beautifully alongside Shania's album, but there's an easiness, naivety and cleverness to songs like Hey Stephen that can only really be captured by someone still in that age group yet can be remembered by anyone outside of the YA demographic. As such, it will always be an important album in her discography.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    stopthestatic likes this.
  2. RJF

RJF

But even "Enchanted" is trite, simply on the right side of it since it's intentionally wide-eyed, awestruck and pure. And for all the praise of Speak Now, it still has a few mortifying clangers on it in the form of "Never Grow Up" and "Innocence" to balance out any kind of maturation.

I should probably clarify that I'm not just simply attacking her songwriting considering she was writing everything more or less on her own for the majority of her early career which is something very few artists do, and came up in a genre that favoured the more biographical lyrics as opposed to pop's metaphor heavy content. It's just not my thing in the slightest, and I would imagine that part of the reason Taylor is so ruthless in her back catalogue cull on her tours is because she struggles to identify with these songs these days as well. Not to mention the fact she's savvy as hell, and knows that part of her audience expanding and maturing is down to the recent material, and not the likes of "Tim McGraw" and "Teardrops On My Guitar"

3. I feel like I see Jonathan27's post about the same 3 old Taylor songs every 3 pages. He's lucky he's kewt.

Sam and Square like this.
  4. Someboy

Someboy Staff Member

What a surprise that she was writing like a teenager. . .when she was a teenager!

Wishlight and RUNAWAY like this.
  5. Lurk and perch a bit. Enchanted can't be mentioned enough.

It's more that the trio of Enchanted, Haunted and Safe and Sound are impenetrable to me. I prefer the likes of Dear John, Last Kiss, Better Than Revenge and plenty of Fearless cuts to the latter two in that trio, but I see why they would be criticized.

I wasn't taking it as an attack, RJF. I get your point and I can respect that perspective. I find the progression great whilst still having time for the previous material as I feel sonically it's aged well (mostly down to its genre leanings) and lyrically it's astute given the age and time.

6. RJF

RJF

Well, no. She was writing with the emotional maturity of an adolescent.

7. I feel like not enough love is shone onto the basic bop that is Today Was A Fairytale.

8. Does anyone know what song 'This Love' reminds me of? I know it's a random question but it's bugging me.

I love 'Wildest Dreams'. Very Lana-like.

9. Never Grow Up isn't at all mortifying. Lyrically it's one of the deepest songs she's done.

alanmr likes this.
  10. Island

Island Staff Member

Eww no. I can't stand that song.

11. I used to think Enchanted was her best song ever but I *do* find it becomes a *little* to much of a caricature of that Romeo & Juliet-type romanticism. I think the structure and production makes it a 10/10. It's elevated.

Still adore it, don't get me wrong.

She occupies a strange space. She's a massive POP star now, and while I love 1989 more and more every day, it is a shame that many fans will probably never think to listen to her old material. It's literally essential listening.

Nothing on 1989 has the same resonance of some stuff on the others. It's great, but it's defiantly different. Which is great! But it's missing a Sparks Fly, and Enchanted, a Sad Beautiful Tragic...just different shades. And funnily, the ones people say they like least (This Love for example) are where I see that tonal difference again.

I can't at @RJF calling Never Grow Up a clanger. A me-listening-to-the-album-for-the-first-time oolong for sure. Time makes you wiser though. It's possibly her most distressing song.

12. RJF

RJF

Not all these Maudlin Marys trying to come for me. "Never Grow Up" is mortifying; it's an anthem for overly nostalgic "Being an adult is hard!" whining perma-children. It's both savoury and sweet in the sense that it's total cheese and a sickening amount of sugar at the same time.

13. I'm firmly in the 'the 3 singles from Red and 1989 only" side.

14. 'Enchanted'/'Last Kiss'/'All Too Well' are her peaks as a songwriter pre-1989. Then 'Out of the Woods' is her pop opus, as far as I'm concerned.

The refusal to acknowledge her back catalogue by a shocking number of posters in this thread is making me sad. I've met so many bandwagon bumpkins in real life (the conversation is always the same - them: "OH MY GOD, TAYLOR SWIFT IS MY FAVOURITE SINGER", Me: "Really? What's your favourite song?", Them: "SHAKE IT OFF". Sigh.), it's just disappointing that many of the Pop Justice contingent are equally as in the dark about her earlier work.

15. Country is a genre many just don't get/like, especially in the UK. But then I've only ever really liked people I always thought were crossover anyway. To me, Fearless is about as country as the occasional flair of instrumentation on a couple of tracks. I think she's always had a solid rock (and now) / pop head on her from day one. The intense vocal affectations are real on the debut.

16. Subwaykid

Subwaykid Staff Member

I cannot at people coming for her nearly flawless pre-"pop star" discography. They may not be as seamless as 1989 but I can't imagine Taylor, the Artisté without songs like Fearless, Fifteen, Love Story, Back to December, Dear John, Enchanted, Last Kiss, and All Too Well. They seem like an integral part of her canon.

alanmr likes this.
  17. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

I couldn't stand / still can't stand Taylor for albums 1-3 and I even attempted Fearless and Speak Now. They're way too 'writing with my Lisa Frank' journal for me to enjoy, with 'Fifteen' and 'Never Grow Up' being some of the worst offenders.

About half of Red, the tracks for The Hunger Games and 1989 are about all I need.

18. Fifteen is incredible because it truly does embody all of the superficial romance and delusions that come along with being a teenager. With that being said, my disinterest in her earlier work has nothing to do with the country genre at-large. Miranda Lambert and the like have always been known to make my ass move and even Carrie Underwood has had a few chances to masterfully infiltrate my psyche. It's simply a combination of both a lack of time & effort and a lack of having to uncover everything an artist has done prior to my liking them. There are many artists I only adore one or two songs by and that's enough for me. One album won't mean that I'll dig into all of their back music - especially if I've mostly heard said music in doses over the years. Only if I'm over the fucking moon for an artist will I become their greatest excavator, sniffing out b-sides and "lost" tracks in the deepest depths of the internet. Again, it will happen eventually, but I've no rush and honestly, no real motive for now.

19. I love that Today Was A Fairytale was her highest-charting single (#2 on the Hot 100!) until We Are Never Ever.

RUNAWAY likes this.
  20. I listen to "Enchanted" and "All Too Well" and the Fearless singles and *maybe* sometimes a few Speak Now deep cuts every now and then, but I think it's very very clear at this point that it's as a pop craftswoman that she really excels. 2006-11 Taylor is interesting as a 'thing' but the music and the songwriting really isn't anything special, much of it embarrassing (including those ones I do like).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.