Taylor Swift - 1989 | Page 467 | The Popjustice Forum

Taylor Swift - 1989

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Laura Vanderbooben, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red is a great album but It it's VISIBLY disjointed. I mean, it all sounds ok. But does anyone else think she sat down with all her tunes done and then decided to just... go pop? Throw a couple pop songs on there and see what happens? All the bonus tracks feel like lesser Speak Now cast offs, like things she'd outgrown (therefore bonus status), and obviously she wasn't happy to just have the more introspective acoustic/rock tracks for a whole album. It's an interesting album for being so obviously transitional.

State of Grace
    Red
    Treacherous
    All Too Well
    I Almost Do
    Stay Stay Stay (ugh)
    The Last Time
    Holy Ground
    Sad Beautiful Tragic
    The Lucky One
    Everything Has Changed
    Begin Again

That reads quite nicely as an album.

2. Very true. At least the live version from the tour CD is perhaps even better or equally as good as the original though? Starting with 'Drop everything now' and the elongated middle 8 nearly permit me to forgive her that 'video'.

3. I like this a lot. I would disagree on the bonus tracks (well two of them) because I have a massive spot for Come Back... Be Here, it's one of my most-played Taylor songs somehow.

My own tracklist would probably look like this, I cheated a bit by including two pre-era extras.

State of Grace
    Treacherous
    All Too Well
    Safe & Sound (feat. The Civil Wars)
    Everything Has Changed (feat. Ed Sheeran)
    The Moment I Knew
    Come Back… Be Here
    Red
    Starlight
    Holy Ground
    The Lucky One
    The Last Time (feat. Gary Lightbody)
    Sad Beautiful Tragic
    Begin Again

For completion, Trouble, Never Ever and 22 can be slotted in after Come Back... Be Here, Red and Starlight respectively.

4. Someboy

Someboy Staff Member

What's with dissing 'I Know Places' every other post, @Jonathan27? It. is. brilliant.

5. Oh I really like the bonus Red tracks individually. But I can see why they might not have fitted on the main tracklist. Girl at Home is my self-punishing anthem at the moment. And Moment I Knew I hadn't listened to in ages until quite soon after my ex didn't show up to my birthday party. And that...was the moment I knew. AHA.

6. Come Back...Be Here is phenomenal. It should've replaced Stay Stay Stay which is quite possibly the worst song of her career. Even worse than I Know Places.

7. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

Her earlier music should at least be tried. Lyrically the songs have always been extremely well crafted. There are distinctive themes to how she was able to capture an emotional punch that transports you back to a time where you felt similarly. I do realize it's going to be not for everyone though, a lot of criticism from people who have a more jaded approach to life says it's too sweet for them. Like the people that go to Disney World and don't enjoy themselves.

I've known this already.

8. I don't see myself caring about this album or Taylor herself until the Fall of 2016. I'm waiting for that mature pop record.

9. SMG

SMG

Sparks Fly is a 9/10 to be fair.

10. I actually love Stay Stay Stay. And Girl at Home too, which nobody ever talks about for some reason.

11. I have little qualms about jumping on board the minute she dropped the heavy guitars, moved to the big city, befriended queen Karlie, glossed herself and her sound up, grew up, and put out one of the best pop music videos in a long time.

12. Someboy

Someboy Staff Member

The best indirect description of @RJF I've ever seen written!

Wishlight and Island like this.
  13. It's the track with the most squandered potential. It could have been really excellent had it been more fleshed out but it just plays like a demo.

Jacket likes this.
  14. I like I Know Places a lot more after listening to the instrumental.

15. Plus her vocals verge on screechy and uncomfortably out of her range.

16. She played a nice version of Holy Ground in place of You Are In Love on the second Dublin night, I just found out. While on paper this sounds way better, You Are In Love was a shock highlight and crowd-pleasing sing-song. I think she'll start using that acoustic slot to do different tracks like she did last tour. While I adored this show and it made me realise how strong 1989 is, she could have tossed in a couple more oldies.

17. Taylor, overrated artist...

18. "Not with that avatar"

19. 1989 has now reached 5 million sales in the US.

20. It'll probably be beaten out by the Mumford and Sons album or some bullshit for Album of the Year Grammy won't it though?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.