Taylor Swift - 1989 | Page 77 | The Popjustice Forum

Taylor Swift - 1989

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Laura Vanderbooben, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This is going to be the best-selling pop album of the year, right? I think this will be huge release week, Black Friday (in the US), Christmas (everywhere) and Boxing Day sales (in the UK).

2. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

Pretty sure it's titled Clean. The second song lyric is from Blank Space.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  3. The only song I have ever truly loved from Taylor was 'You Belong With Me' but let me add 'Out Of The Woods' to that short list because it is in fact incredible. Well done Swifty.

4. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

Easily. It's not even a guess at this point (in the US) - after Frozen's 3 million copies, the next highest-selling album of the year is BEYONCÉ which hasn't crossed 800k yet. Taylor will eclipse that in her first week probably.

No worries, everyone's positive comments have been more than enough! I only restrict myself when it comes to Taylor and Gaga, because they're my only faves who still release promo singles, and it's been more than worth it hearing Speak Now/Red and Born This Way/ARTPOP in full with only knowledge of the actual single(s). I just freaked out because after such a welcoming day of positivity, I get 22 Part 2 comments and I relapsed.

5. To the person who said this is her Edge of Glory, I totally second the statement. I mean the similarities are not in the melodies or production - but more about the sentiment and mood it gives. Pure euphoria, so fucking visceral - I CAN'T WAIT FOR 1989.

That Middle 8 gives me life every single time and flashbacks of all my ex-s.

6. I absolutely love Out of the Woods. Shake It Off grew on me (I never expected it to), but that's just because they're absolutely hammering it on the radio.

7. It's interesting that you experienced the darker aspects of the song when, for me, the more I listen to Out Of The Woods, the more the melancholic aspect seems to wash away, and the euphoric aspect dominates. From the start I had thought it sounded like the theme song to some incredible, phantasmagorical PG-13 adventure film from the 80s, but that side to it has very strongly come to the fore now. It's very cinematic, and I think they could have done something really special with a video for it.

8. I can´t really stand her, but she got two pretty great singles out this year.

9. I don't know how to properly express my emotion about "Out of the Woods" - it's amazing, just what I wanted from her, a natural, non-forced evolution from the last album and just so absolutely divine. I'm also angry at her for leaving the pile of shit that is Shake it Off for so long when she had songs like this all along. I'm a long term Taylor stan and even after all this time I can't come around to it.

Thank you Out of the Woods, you give me hope again.

10. I really want to like Out Of The Woods but am undecided after the first listen. Don't think it will take on a life of its own (i.e. becoming an actual single) like other promo singles have in recent times (e.g. Dark Horse).

11. I agree, it certainly gets lighter and more passionate the more you listen to it. But there's still this unsettling undercurrent that seems to balance out that euphoria, this strange layer of confusion and doubt. "Incredible, phantasmagorical PG-13 adventure film from the 80s" is a brilliant description, though (I see a would-be-classic/dream collaboration between Steven Spielberg and John Hughes) and I too would love an amazing video, maybe something in stark 8mm or gorgeous CinemaScope, popping off the screen with color and flash.

12. Where are you people getting euphoria from this song? Its not a happy song...

13. Euphoria as in dreamy, romantic. It's there in all the darkness. Read my initial reaction a page ago.

14. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

Out of The Woods has gotten even better with repeated listens for me. I love the Snow White reference.

The clip for the diet coke is so short I can't really form an opinion on it.

15. Yesyes.

Give me that amazing opening number that I love.

16. Again, where was it confirmed that the title is 'Welcome to New York'?

17. Is the deluxe only being released at Target like all her previous deluxe versions?

18. RJF

RJF

I'm not getting what's meant to suggest another song is coming soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.