Taylor Swift - 1989 | Page 878 | The Popjustice Forum

Taylor Swift - 1989

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Laura Vanderbooben, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shake It Off is by no means her best work but it did the job of a lead single well. It was fun, in your face and introduced a newer, "I don't give a fuck" version of Taylor.

As much as I love other songs a lot more on the album, I couldn't imagine 1989 being lead by anything other than Shake It Off.

How You Get The Girl is the one I skip the most. I've said it before but lyrically it feels like it fits in with her 3rd album, it's a bop for high school kids.

Florencia. and GRMusic like this.
  2. RJF

RJF

I can't wait to get stabbed on a NYC Subway this summer as "Welcome To New York" plays into my foolish ears.

LTG, Mr.Arroz, BML and 20 others like this.
  3. I mean, putting aside my cringe at her stint as NYC's global ambassador, it's still an incredibly twee song that pales in comparison to tracks on 1989 that better capture her doe-eyed romanticism. The production alone makes the album start on a whimper when it could have begun with a bang ("Blank Space").

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  4. Welcome To New York is nice enough as an extended album intro.

You're dead inside if Shake It Off doesn't make you bop.

5. The rapping also helps elevate a bad song. It's such an odd choice of single when there's so many strong tracks on the album.

6. @Laura Vanderbooben has been waiting for you...

[​IMG]

Mr.Arroz, alanmr, Kuhleezi and 11 others like this.
  7. Welcome to New York is Taylor's schtick in a way that she hasn't really done it before. Her writing is essentially telling her life stories through a fairytale lens & Welcome to New York captures that "Pennsylvania girl going to the big city" aesthetic that's quintessentially Taylor. I love it but I can see why people hate it

Slice of Life likes this.
  8. This is all reminding me that I saw the handwritten Welcome to New York lyrics last night at the Taylor Swift Experience.

9. All You Had To Do Was STAAAAY is such a moment. It's kind of super generic and impersonal but so catchy and irresistible that it's impossible not to sing along. Quintessential Pop Taylor.

10. I'll have you know I haven't stabbed anyone on the subway in weeks.

11. Like most of the songs on the album, it's the intricacies that make it brilliant. "Letmeremindyouthat thiiis waass whaat you waannteddd!" takes the cake.

12. The gag is that a lot of New York has become just as plastic and sterile (on the surface as least) as the 1989 opening track. The song captures what I imagine must got through the heads of financially-naive NYU freshmen, trust fund enabled transplants, and so forth. It has its good melodic moments. I bop ironically.

Lapras, alanmr, Wishlight and 5 others like this.
  13. Bad Blood is mostly shit and it was only a single because of all the press she made sure it got. I don't think even her most devoted fans are under the illusion it was one of the best songs on the album. All You Had to Do should have been the 4th single.

alanmr likes this.
  14. All You Had To Do Was Stay is a career highlight. Those chorus melodies are otherworldly.

15. I was championing it as a single for too long, that song deserved a release.

16. @ me next time

Mr.Arroz, Someboy, Kyle. and 14 others like this.
  17. Speaking of which, Zedd's new song "Stay" basically rips the hook from AYHTDWS.

Wishlight, evilsin and VICTORsaurio like this.
  18. LOL, came to post that:

19. [​IMG]

Jwentz, MiChiMadNesS, alanmr and 15 others like this.
  20. [​IMG]

alanmr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.