Taylor Swift - folklore | Page 157 | The Popjustice Forum

Taylor Swift - folklore

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Judas, Jul 23, 2020.

1. I see that you not including this is me trying is you trying it.

nikkysan, Rem and Babyface like this.
  2. Ugh I never understand why people do stuff like that, smh.

alestevens likes this.
  3. Yes.

4. But now we said it. The taste in this post.

MeganTu and Espeon like this.
  5. This is such a weird take when New Romantics has some of the best lyrics across the entire album?

The verses are sharp as hell, "we show off our different scarlet letters, trust me mine is better" and "the rumors are terrible and cruel but most of them are true" allow a level of transparency and self-awareness that she struggled for several years to balance after.

"I could build a castle out of all the bricks they threw at me"
    is the most succinct and best summation of her relationship with critics/the media before she ran the wheels right off that wagon with the followup album.

Then there's the bridge:

"Please take my hand and
    Please take me dancing and
    Please leave me stranded, it's so romantic"

there's strong Perfect Places energy with this one. The sensation of chasing something you've only ever romanticized just for it to leave you lonely and abandoned, but that's how it's supposed to be right? If it happens in every romantic comedy then it's really a sign of fate, or maybe we justify it because we romanticize sadness. This rings especially true for queer people: we emulate behaviors absent of any external guidance because we often have to navigate life and love alone. New Romantics remains one of Taylor's best ever songs lyrically because she effectively bridges the gap between her own journey with the universal experiences we all have as we try to make sense of how we perceive the love (or lack thereof) that we're given.

6. I must admit that besides being happy that she is going to perform Betty tonight, I am really excited about seeing her band again. Some of them have been with her since the beginning, and it's always nice to see them once again in the scenario with her

7. While we're talking about other songs...

I'll probably get dragged for this, but I've changed my opinion on Gorgeous. When Reputation was first released, I hated it (especially as a pre-release song) because I was so invested in the album being this serious, intense, visceral response. Of course, we know now that Reputation turned out to be probably her most romantic album (yes, even compared with Lover). Looking back, I totally overlooked how humorous much of the album actually is. Gorgeous is actually so stupid it's hilarious, & unlike other funny songs on the album where she's half-serious (Look, Nice Things, Something Bad), Taylor's 100% in on the joke here.

So I'm a Gorgeous fan now. It's silly, unflattering, dramatic, & best of all, funny.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 8:23 PM
  8. Enjoyed the rebuttal and the personal connection, made me go and listen to it again.

I think my brain just wants to read a bunch of stuff into this song that might not really be there, mostly the idea this is trying to be some kind of terminally ironic "millennial" anthem with the "we're so bored" and "so young but on the road to ruin" stuff. But I know that's just me projecting.

On the Taylor vs. the media front it's not nearly as bad as the most cringey moments on reputation, but the bricks line is still a little too on the nose for me. Getting back to folklore, I think "mad woman" is the best song she's ever written about her relationship with the press (her most fraught relationship of all?). It speaks to her frustration with always getting scrutinized while feeling more universal.

9. "Gorgeous" has always been great, and it's undoubtedly one of the better cuts on reputation. We stan a negging queen!

Espeon and Euphoria like this.
  10. "You should take it as a compliment that I got drunk and made fun of the way you talk" alone... I stan.

So It Goes is still the best song on Reputation, though. Don't @ me.

Music Is Life, rdp, Crisp X and 11 others like this.
  11. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

"Gorgeous" is disgusting. The fact that you think she can't possibly make a worse song, only for "This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things" to rear its ugly head a few songs later...

nikkysan, Mr Blonde, Verandi and 9 others like this.
  12. The melodies and a lot of the lyrics on Reputation are fine but I hate the production of almost everything in it. I hardly ever revisit it and it's the only one of her albums I can say that about.

An Insider likes this.
  13. 'Gorgeous' benefits from the fact that it sidelines the album's worst lyrical tropes and themes but suffers from the fact that it's... fucking awful.

14. I love the way this thread circles back to reputation discourse every 3 days like clockwork. But while we’re on the subject, Gorgeous is the 2nd worst song on reputation after Nice Things. “I’ve got a boyfriend, he’s older than us. He’s in the club doing I don’t know what” is iconic but the chorus is simply unforgivable for a lyricist of Taylor’s ability.

15. Sorry to interrupt but "my tears ricochet" is 11/10 and the climax needs to be about 10 minutes longer.

16. Gorgeous is a cute little bop if you don't take it too seriously. It nowhere near showcases her strengths as a lyricist but it's cute.

Euphoria, Ashling92 and Espeon like this.
  17. Gorgeous has strong predator vibes and for that alone I simply cannot appreciate the few merits it does have.

18. I will, but only to tell you how right you are.

rdp, Florencia. and Euphoria like this.
  19. Rem

Rem

20. 95% of the time I strongly dislike her bangs, and today is one of those days. She looks cute I guess?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.