Taylor Swift - folklore | Page 42 | The Popjustice Forum

Taylor Swift - folklore

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Judas, Jul 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solenciennes

Solenciennes Staff Member

I’ve said before that I can take or leave Taylor, she’s brilliant at cultivating her celebrity image and commercial success but it feels like it comes at the expense of great songwriting that she’s clearly capable of, but this album feels like a complete reset on the celebrity focused angle of her career by just announcing it with minimal notice and dropping it without a massive promotional push or bombastic pop lead single to draw in casual listeners. In many ways I think it’s great that Cardigan is the song she’s picked even if it’s not the best, if that makes sense.

2. Allow me to shoehorn my Lover truther self again, girls.

There are several metaphors and stream of consciousness styles of songwriting here that she began experimenting in Lover. This album is basically the sequels of "Death By A Thousand Cuts", "It's Nice To Have A Friend" and "False God" with more understated instrumental arrangements that actually allows her melodies to accommodate the lyrics, instead of the other way around.

3. My Spotify played Taylor’s Mine after my first listen and it worked.

4. "cardigan" really is her best lead single, isn't it?

Music Is Death, D.Jay and papatrick like this.
  5. It's got a 93 score on Metacritic so far. Only 4 reviews counted so far though. Come through Pitchfork with that Best New Music, 9.7!!

6. Ddddd this happened to me too. The way I screamed.

7. I didn't have it in myself to go with grace.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  8. Solenciennes

Solenciennes Staff Member

Agreed, I didn’t respond to any of those songs much, ME! and You Need To Calm Down left such a sour taste; but this album doesn’t come with that baggage so feel like it’ll become my favourite thing she’s done in years already!

ALEX, Rem and An Insider like this.
  9. I woke up at 5am to pee and thought "hey, Folklore is out" and gave it a run through. The songwriting is definitely up there. There were a handful of standout songs. There were a handful of songs that weren't necessarily bad but just weren't my cup of tea. There were songs that I need to revisit and sit down properly with. Overal my initial reaction was that the lows obviously aren't anywhere near as low as Lover, but the highs aren't as high as that album either. And I only compare to her last album because there's clearly a lot of commentary around "what, where, HOW could she release that and then this?" etc. I'm personally sensing a lot of hyperbole but I'll just let people have their fun. Like I said, I need to relisten but I didn't think she did anything that special here. To me it felt like a cute concept that needed to be whittled down to six songs and then write another solid six songs to go with it that add more texture to the album? I don't necessarily need "bops" but she absolutely doesn't have the range to keep my attention for 16 songs in the exact same mood. The album is extremely piano heavy which, okay, fine... but it certainly felt like it would've benefitted from a little more of the influence from Sheryl or Alanis or Stevie to add some shades of colour or something. Maybe this is where working with white male "alt" songwriters does her a disservice here.

Steve003, 4Roses, DinahLee and 17 others like this.
  10. My last thought on the matter today is that mirrorball is the moment.

Florencia., RUNAWAY, evilsin and 20 others like this.
  11. I'I think I've seen this film before
    And I didn't like the ending
    I'm not your problem anymore
    So who am I offending now?

[​IMG]

12. Exile though
    [​IMG]

RUNAWAY, evilsin, 4Roses and 40 others like this.
  13. This album is the kind of thing I'm a sucker for. Truly gorgeous.

14. Look forward to absorbing this project but it’s not as folky as the title or the rustic glamour would have us believe.

That said, she nearly always delivers with the songs, and Jack’s production is superlative.

15. Folklore CDs are shipping August 7th with the vinyl following 27 Nov - at least in the UK store.

Kanye has postponed his release.

Music Is Death and unnameable like this.
  16. That is talent, she can do what she wants and always be very conscious about it.

17. How does Mirrorball sound like some lost alt 90’s singer songwriter moment but also exactly like Taylor. Her Mind.

It also reminds me of this a wee bit the whole album soundscape.

18. I think this is going to be my first Talyor Swift album where I feel like, "I definitely need to spend more time with this". All her albums prior were always instantaneous to me, it always brought out some kind of reaction almost straight away - and impression rarely ever changed. Like, I can stil listen to All Too Well and be in awe of its cinematic, masterful storytelling just like I did the first time, or I can listen to that Ed Shit song and get a high blood pressure. But it was always that she.. never fully provided that depth for me to dive in further. And that's not even a bad thing, I think that's where her strength lies anyway. She's plain spoken, sometimes to a fault, but she's still able to sell the hell out of emotion and deliver what needs to be delivered.

But this album feels so nuanced and full of layers on first listen, and I already know I'm going to have a good time delving into it. I know it's been said multiple times in the thread but yeah, it's hard to believe the same person released whatever that pastel vomit of an album only a year ago nn.

19. Exile has been on repeat. I don’t know how Taylor did it but she got Justin’s most honest vocal since Bon Iver’s self-titled album.

None of his BS trickery or gimmicks that are all over the last two projects (which I still enjoyed).

Trouble in Paradise likes this.
  20. I'm getting ready to listen in full again

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.