Taylor Swift - General Discussion | Page 14 | The Popjustice Forum

Taylor Swift - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by festivereece, Dec 9, 2008.

1. I'd definitely say Mean is one of her most Country songs though, definitely pretty inspired by The Chicks. But yeah, overall it's not super Country outside of the songwriting.

I don't think her debut is bad by any means, the songwriting is there and it has gems like Cold As You, A Place In This World, Our Song, etc. But her vocals were just super underdeveloped and not it at the time dd. That's why I'm most excited about hearing the re-recording for that one.

Yeah Speak Now is fantastic, it's honestly probably still my favorite (a lot for sentimental reasons but the quality of the album is SOLID). Pre-folklore, I'd say it was overall the finest display of her songwriting talent.

2. Tim McGraw (the song) is gorgeous, yes. I actually have a lot of love for the debut’s singles.

3. I rewatched Miss Americana yesterday and that scene where she’s talking with her team about posting something political and her team are advising her not to is still so sad to watch. Taylor is there practically crying and begging them to let her speak about endorsing a candidate who believes in...basic human rights.

4. But the Taylor, Andrea and Tree scene I mean it’s so funny, it needs to be a meme if it wasn’t already.

Music Is Death likes this.
  5. I didn't say it wasn't country at all, I said it wasn't any 'more country than Red' which I'd say rings true since Stay Stay Stay is just as country as Mean.

The debut is...what it is. She's my fave but I don't have a problem saying it's bad especially next to the phenomenal work that's followed: it's just completely eclipsed by everything else.

Ashling92 and aux like this.
  6. Her debut is unnecessary these days but that singles run is still legendary.

A #1 in a better timeline.

Truce, Babyface and aux like this.
  7. Tim McGraw, Teardrops on my Guitar, and Cold As You are top tier Taylor for me and immediately showcased her amazing songwriting skills at such a young age, so in that sense the debut is very necessary. I’ve also really come around to Mary’s Song after not appreciating it for a long time.

A lot of the debut is not great though ddd.

Truce, Florencia. and Espeon like this.
  8. In random Taylor news, she’s let Only The Young be used in a Biden ad:

9. I don’t think her debut’s bad at all. It just has shaky vocals. The lyrics are strong and she actually tackled a fairly wide set of adolescent topics.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    tombiz, Truce, Espeon and 1 other person like this.
  10. I just need the re-recording of Should've Said No to have this vocal arrangement

Truce and Florencia. like this.
  11. Johns Hopkins has decided to stan

12. RUNAWAY, Florencia., aux and 2 others like this.
  13. You should see the top 20 Oy vey indeed!

14. Thinking about her building a song around “don’t you think I was too young to be messed with”

Florencia., Subwaykid and aux like this.
  15. Honestly Dear John remains her best and only truly effective takedown of another celebrity.

All the girls that you've run dry
    Have tired, lifeless eyes
    'Cause you burned them out
    But I took your matches before fire could catch me,
    So don't look now, I'm shining like fireworks over your sad, empty town

[​IMG]

16. Are we allowed to say that Reputation is a great album yet?

Because it’s a great album.

Florencia., Euphoria and Espeon like this.
  17. reputation has great songs but I can never truly consider it a great album when it fails at it’s MO so spectacularly.

18. Thanks to folklore holding me in its iron grip, I'm trying to revisit her last two efforts to scavenge the redeemable songs and build a playlist with some flow to it. I feel like such a vulture swooping in to grab "Delicate" and "It's Nice to Have a Friend" while dodging "I Did Something Bad" and "ME!"

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.