Taylor Swift - Midnights

I teach concurrent enrollment English at my high school. So basically my high school students are taking a college level composition class. To teach them rhetoric, I use Taylor Swift's videos because they work very well for teaching and it's very fun to talk about her music/visuals and connect it to her public persona. I teach Blank Space at the beginning of the semester and then circle back to Anti-Hero.

My students despise Taylor Swift. They can't stand her brand and I can't really disagree with them despite liking the music (she is pretty obnoxious). They literally eye-rolled at the lyrics of Anti-Hero. One girl said, "I can't believe this rich white girl is trying to play the victim." They think the song is fake introspection and that she's actually learned nothing and that Anti-Hero is just another Look What You Made Me Do-style defense. Even though I read Anti-Hero as more genuine than they did, they made a decent argument.

I think some of them actually do like the music but can't get past her public persona.

I teach concurrent enrollment English at my high school. So basically my high school students are taking a college level composition class. To teach them rhetoric, I use Taylor Swift's videos because they work very well for teaching and it's very fun to talk about her music/visuals and connect it to her public persona. I teach Blank Space at the beginning of the semester and then circle back to Anti-Hero.

My students despise Taylor Swift. They can't stand her brand and I can't really disagree with them despite liking the music (she is pretty obnoxious). They literally eye-rolled at the lyrics of Anti-Hero. One girl said, "I can't believe this rich white girl is trying to play the victim." They think the song is fake introspection and that she's actually learned nothing and that Anti-Hero is just another Look What You Made Me Do-style defense. Even though I read Anti-Hero as more genuine than they did, they made a decent argument.

I think some of them actually do like the music but can't get past her public persona.
It's been stated in this thread before but it bears repeating that an anti-hero is not the same thing as a victim. People throw that phrase around so much as it relates to Taylor that it starts to feel like it's lost all meaning - like sure there are plenty of valid examples but I'm not sure a song with the main hook "I'm the problem, it's me" qualifies as one.