Taylor Swift - Red (Taylor's Version) | Page 227 | The Popjustice Forum

Taylor Swift - Red (Taylor's Version)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Babyface, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Message In A Bottle
    2. I Bet You Think About Me
    3. Better Man
    4. Babe
    5. Nothing New
    6. Forever Winter
    7. The Very First Night
    8. Run

Andrew and Fighting Irish like this.
  1. The chorus of Better Man... the way she has me by the balls with this damn song, she's so sick for doing this to me.

2. At least we are all in agreement in placing Run at the bottom where it belongs.

3. Message In A Bottle is just amazing

4. Nothing can compare to it, it's above being ranked

Sam, Mikey1701, alanmr and 4 others like this.
  5. 1.Forever Winter
    2.That Very First Night
    3.Nothing New
    4.Babe
    5.Message In A Bottle
    6.Better Man
    7.I Bet You Think About Me
    8.Run

Music Is Death likes this.
  6. I've been trying to come up with a ranking of the vault tracks for like 10 minutes but it's just not possible. All of them are excellent except for Run, which is pretty but inessential. The Very First Night and Better Man are the top two though, that I do know.

Music Is Death and Florencia. like this.
  7. 1. Nothing New
    2. Better Man
    3. Babe
    4. I Bet You Think About Me
    5. Forever Winter
    6. Message In A Bottle
    7. The Very First Night
    8. Run

But honestly everything besides Run is excellent and she should be in jail for hiding them for so long.

alanmr, Wishlight, Ashling92 and 4 others like this.
  8. 1. Message in a Bottle
    2. Babe
    3. The Very First Night
    4. I Bet You Think About Me
    5. Nothing New
    6. Better Man
    7. Forever Winter
    8. Run

But I actually like all eight of them quite a lot.

Andrew and Anticonformity like this.
  9. Nothing New is excellence and the best song on any edition of Red

10. 1. Nothing New
    2. Better Man
    3. I Bet You Think About Me
    4. Forever Winter
    5. Babe
    6. The Very First Night
    7. Message in a Bottle
    8. Run

....I think anyway. I really do enjoy them all so much. Run is cute, but I don't really listen to it much. The Very First Night and Babe are kind of neck and neck for me and all of them are very very close in rank anyway.

Florencia. and Music Is Death like this.
  11. Nothing New really is the one for me from the vault tracks (excluding the ten minute version of All Too Well). I get why she left it off the original album, it was very much ‘ahead of it’s time’ in a lyrical sense and I don’t think it would’ve been well received if included back in 2012. The public were simply not ready for such discourse. But like the very best of Red it explores uncharted territory both sonically and thematically (for her, at the time) to great effect.

12. The middle 8 of Babe decapitates me and leaves me in a ditch every single time.

1. Message In A Bottle
    2. The Very First Night
    3. Forever Winter
    4. Nothing New
    5. I Bet You Think About Me
    6. Babe
    7. Better Man
    8. Run

13. I'm loving Nothing New more and more with each listen. It's so incredibly honest, and something that so many artists likely experience but few would admit. I get why she left it off initially and instead included The Lucky One (which almost feels like the same sentiment, but less of a self-fulfilling prophecy to paint the narrative onto another person). Even with her interviews around 2012, she was talking a lot about how she wanted to be able to step out of the spotlight whenever people are tired of her, and wanted to know when that is...it makes me sad that so many female artists go through that.

14. There is no way that some of the lyrics to All Too Well (10 Minute Version) and Nothing New were written by the Taylor from ten years ago in my opinion. I don’t think the songs from the vault were all necessarily fully fleshed out, complete songs that were ready to go in 2012.

15. I just think it’s astonishing that had she released these vault songs as a mini-album in their own right, it would still be one of my favourite albums of the year.

Open the 1989 vaults Ms Swift and just end us all.

16. I find it very interesting that Nothing New is the first time (!) she's ever given a standard guest spot to another female artist on her tracks. Given all the talented women she's featured but then buried in the mix or inherent structure of the song, it's great for her to finally relent a bit on a song that discusses themes like Nothing New does. I suspect she didn't want another woman to be prominently featured on her songs out of fear of being shown up, seen as second-fiddle, or whatever. It's nice to think she's relaxed a bit on that front.

Give us a true Imogen duet on 1989 TV!

17. I don't know how she is gonna transform 'Shake It Off' enough for me to actually want to hear it.

Misco, Chris Lala and Mikey1701 like this.
  18. 1. Forever Winter
    2. Better Man
    3. I Bet You Think About Me
    4. Babe
    5. Nothing New
    6. Message in a Bottle
    7. The Very First Night

8. Run

Honestly it's hard to rank them as they're all great apart from Run.

I Bet You Think About Me has grown on me a lot, I just ADORE country Taylor and I'm hoping we get some more country tracks from the debut and Speak Now vaults. I particularly love the following lines in her slight country twang and the melody of them (even though I KNOW Taylor grew up rich so it's kinda ironic but I pretend I do not see it ddd)

You grew up in a silver-spoon gated community
    Glamorous, shiny, bright Beverly Hills
    I was raised on a farm, no, it wasn't a mansion
    Just livin' room dancin' and kitchen table bills
    But you know what they say, you can't help who you fall for
    And you and I fell like an early spring snow
    But reality crept in, you said we're too different
    You laughed at my dreams, rolled your eyes at my jokes

Wishlight, soratami, RUNAWAY and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.