Taylor Swift - reputation (6th Album) | Page 928 | The Popjustice Forum

Taylor Swift - reputation (6th Album)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by sexercise, May 5, 2017.

1. I’ve accepted that when it comes to Taylor I want vastly different things than the rest of this forum. Maybe when the dust settles 1989 will re-enter the holy trinity but Speak Now and Red will remain her 2 best for the foreseeable future.

lushLuck likes this.
  2. I don't accept any pre-2014 Taylor material, but that's just me.

matthew. likes this.
  3. It physically pains me to think of somebody not appreciating State of Grace or Enchanted, but I respect your decision.

4. Carly comparison wasn't an accusation, but a simple comparison, ie: If Carly took such a direction, most people would be similarly put-off, like many are with this era. They're two artists who people don't go to for icy chainsaw synths and big pop star ego verging on being sociopathic. The sound in question is also a sound that Taylor actually continues developing with this album, but for some reason has hidden on the half of the album not getting any promo.

You're incorrect suggesting Bad Blood was bigger than Shake It Off - it was not, and Blank Space isn't like the singles from this era. Your take ignores that Wildest Dreams ended up a longer-lasting hit than Bad Blood and one the general public look back more fondly on, as it's one of her biggest radio staples. So all you've brought up is the memory of Bad Blood - which was a front-loaded remix propped up by cynical cameos - and that you think she was smart for using it as a template.

*gestures to the history-making awful callout scores and the complete rejection of every single thus far by radio listeners* maybe she should have thought harder.

I love pedantry as much as everything, sis, but c'mon.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  5. And let me just say the Reputation singles are NO Bad Blood (single mix feat. Kendrick). Sadly.

6. What a boring video.

POPGASM, Bobbyrae and lushLuck like this.
  7. You're going to give me an ulcer.

8. i wanted more sloppy choreo :sadface:

9. I tried, but simply cannot get into Reputation. It's good, but just doesn't 'stick' as 1989 did.

10. This is still the best lyrical offering from Taylor from the past year.

Everything on Reputation, even the stand-out tracks like Delicate, just lack the maturity or consistency to hang together as a set of decent lyrics.

11. I’m so glad Better Man is getting the recognition it deserves with the Song of the Year win at the ACMs and the Best Country Song nomination at the Grammys. It would have been completely out of place sonically on Reputation but I’m glad she found a way to make sure it still got released into the world so Calvin knows he’s not shit.

Also her transitioning from This Is What You Came For straight into Better Man at the Super Saturday show last February...is a classic Taylor move.

Florencia., lushLuck and Ashling92 like this.
  12. Speak Now is absolutely phenomenal, as is a solid half of the Red songs, so I'm with you there.

I mainly feel sad for people who don't listen to her pre-1989 because they're missing out on SO much. I stanned since Teardrops on my Guitar tbh

alanmr, Florencia., JMRGBY88 and 2 others like this.
  13. Better Man would be improved if Taylor sang it, but it's reassuring to know she can still write an excellent country song.

Florencia. and Babyface like this.
  14. 2014

2014 Moderator

I tried to listen to this album again today but I decided against it and have had State Of Grace on repeat instead which I think was a good call.

15. Y'all are really sleeping a perfectly good pop album.

alanmr, Florencia., Falcon and 15 others like this.
  16. I'm still not over Getaway Car.

17. The choice of Future as a collaborator for street-cred was obnoxious, but depicting him as some sort of love interest/fling in their scenes together is absolutely nauseating and the most hypocritical move of her career considering how she's always written about men who've mistreated her throughout her entire career, only to link up with a rapper that notoriously cheated on Ciara while they were engaged, has multiple baby mamas who probably got treated even worse considering they didn't have the money/connections Ciara did, is a court proven poor father, etc. etc.

Basically she will never have the moral high-ground again if she's willing to collaborate with a man whose done to his exes the same things she's held against her exes, all for a hit. It's sad.

Digital_Fossil likes this.
  18. Taylor being a hypocrite is hardly headline news; we been knew.

Also: copy and paste this in every other thread involving a pop star who has used a rapper for street-cred and renown despite the rapper's potentially-questionable position and the pop star's moral/political stance.

19. Not sure whether I should start with the ridiculous implication that Taylor would need someone with 1 top 10 hit to their name for a hit, or how she’s gotten dragged time and time again for predominantly featuring white men in her videos and now she gives Future a suggestive glance for .5 seconds and somehow it’s also a problem.

alanmr, riverwide, mayhuee and 2 others like this.
  20. Her feminism boiled down for two straight years was "girls support girls", she was happy to wheel out Ciara on the 198white Tour as one of the token celebrities of color the night of that specific stop, while never straying from the narratives of her exes being in the wrong (and a lot of times they are), yet she's more than happy to link-up with Future, who has done similarly horrible things to his exes, including Ciara. So she's okay with it as long as it's not Taylor herself that it happens to.

Also, comparing the performance/reception of End Game to Ready For It and Look, it's kinda clear that to survive the radio landscape of 2017/8 without shelling out millions in payola, she would need to embrace the sounds and sound-makers that are popular (i.e. trap and trap influenced pop) for any sort of longevity, something neither of the previous two (non-trap) Reputation singles had. And out of all rappers she chose to work with, it was one who has done everything she's trashed her exes for.

JMRGBY88 and Vasilios like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.