Taylor Swift - The Tortured Poets Department

What's annoying is that she's at the stage in her career that I'm sure editors would rather not publish a negative or lukewarm review of her album and have to deal with her unhinged fanbase doxxing the writer and getting all this bad PR. So instead we'll probably only see favourable reviews of this album published.

I agree, if it does seem like she is now just phoning it in (which is what midnights really felt like to me) then it would actually be good for her to take on board some negative criticisms of her work to really push her out of her comfort zone and do something exciting. The tepid response to Lover and that whole era lit a fire under her ass which let to folklore, so it does work!!!

What's annoying is that she's at the stage in her career that I'm sure editors would rather not publish a negative or lukewarm review of her album and have to deal with her unhinged fanbase doxxing the writer and getting all this bad PR. So instead we'll probably only see favourable reviews of this album published.

I agree, if it does seem like she is now just phoning it in (which is what midnights really felt like to me) then it would actually be good for her to take on board some negative criticisms of her work to really push her out of her comfort zone and do something exciting. The tepid response to Lover and that whole era lit a fire under her ass which let to folklore, so it does work!!!
I do feel like she is pushing herself out of her comfort zone to an extent though? Obviously this isn't a massive pivot and the first few songs could really have been left off but there's definitely a level of experimentation on the album that I don't think Midnights really had.

Subwaykid

Staff member
Midnights opened up to me eventually and differentiated itself from the rest of her discography after initially thinking it was more of the same originally too, so I’m sure this will as well, considering the back half already feels different enough.

On the other hand, a lot of it sounds like Now That We Don’t Talk and the other 1989 vault tracks, so who knows.

I have to laugh at all the Swifties on TikTok going off at people for downloading the leak (as if 99% of the people tracking leaks down haven't bought multiple variants of the album already anyway ddd)

He/him
Just finished the album and I'm interested to know what reading others (especially die hard swifties, since I lack that perspective) have on her and these last few years of her career because personally I have been feeling like there's a disconnect between her desire to not just be recognised as successful or talented, but as a music icon, and how much risk she's actually willing to take with her music and her image.
The comparison to Lana is funny, because they both similarly have a penchant for world-building and fanservice, but with Lana there's at least no real commercial expectations and the fanservice always feels like it has a purpose other than just throwing a bone to her fans to dissect on social media. That, and the fact that for all her blind spots, Lana is simply more self-aware and is able to dissect parts of her persona (and personality) in a way that doesn't feel like a performance, despite how performative her music can often sound. With Taylor, at least lately, the descriptive lyrics and personal clues ring hollow and read more like an expectation of what lyrics a personal, wordy album would have. Idk, I get that stans on Twitter are ridiculous and would be tweeting "omg she is sooo ME coded!!" even if she released a song titled "Cum (Is What I Crave)", but even the more interesting moments like But Daddy I Love Him are weighed down by the hilariously pretentious lyrics and clear attempts at engineering viral Cruel Summer-like moments (you guys have been making fun of that Puth lyric in the title track, but I find the Patti Smith one to be sooo much more corny). Like, are you even angry? Cause a song like But Daddy sounds more like a vague concept of being angry. That, and her melodies have become absolutely lethargic. Add the incredibly samey production and you could use this album as a sedative.
Now, to her credit, I Can Fix Him is one of the standouts here and not even in a "I'm happy with what I got from the dumpster" way. She sounds sexy and sensual and the sound is the exact kind of image that the (horrible) album photoshoot was trying to conjure. Queen of turning me straight for almost 3 minutes! Now retire the muffled drums and give us a sexy album about smoking cigarettes in your lingerie with this as the blueprient, diva!

Second day thoughts. If you didn't like Taylor before, you are not suddenly going to with this album.

I predict it will review incredibly well. They will draw attention to the excellent story telling, lyrical content and production. She's angry on many of the tracks, and not in a I've said a bad word kind of way.

I feel the production is impeccable and I'm enjoying different tracks today.

There's enough to satisfy this Swifty for months.

It’s a horrid lyric, but there has to be something in the Willy Wonka-ness of:

You smoked and ate seven bars of chocolate / We declared Charlie Puth should be a bigger artist / I scratch your head, you fall asleep like a tattooed Golden Retriever”

We know how her mind works, could there be a golden ticket scenario going on here with chocolate, Charlie and Golden? The lyrics are too clunky to not be an accident??

Sam

he/they

You smoked and ate seven bars of chocolate / We declared Charlie Puth should be a bigger artist / I scratch your head, you fall asleep like a tattooed Golden Retriever”

We know how her mind works, could there be a golden ticket scenario going on here with chocolate, Charlie and Golden? The lyrics are too clunky to not be an accident??

The way I'm so tired but I also can't look away

You smoked and ate seven bars of chocolate / We declared Charlie Puth should be a bigger artist

Do you guys think global warming is real? / I love lady gaga I think she’s a really interesting artist

What was she thinking with the first five tracks? I genuinely think the title track is the worst thing she had ever put her name to, it’s a travesty of a song. The second half of the album I’m thoroughly enjoying, but my god does this woman need some people around her that aren’t “yes” men. Talent isn’t just doing the same thing over and over, and it’s really starting to wear thin at this point when it comes to the same melodies and that’s coming from someone who cried at Eras Tour because he was so happy.

aux

he/him
"Guilty As Sin?" could possibly be a contender for one of my favourite Taylor Swift songs ever. I adore the alt-rock production on here, it's the perfect sonic lane for her. It's the perfect song to prove that she really does best with organic instrumentals.