Taylor Swift - The Tortured Poets Department

I get the critiques for the album, and I agree that it will be very polarizing (aside from immediate sales), but I do appreciate how genuinely unhinged and unpolished she comes across lyrically here. I was expecting an album much more poetic and sophisticated than what we received.

She puts herself in a pretty unflattering light here: within the first few lines of the album, she’s calling herself a “functioning alcoholic” before shifting into a chorus about wanting to kill someone’s wife. Someone’s threatening suicide within the word salad of track 2. Down Bad sounds like the “single” but she drops the f-bomb at least 20 times. She drags her own fans for being concerned about the character of a man she’s seeing. She compares her 6 year relationship to being “in the slammer”. Florence shows up for a song about killing people and burying bodies in the worst state of America. And I’ve only touched the first 8 songs here.

I get that this doesn’t automatically make the album *good* in itself - there are less hooks overall, and sonically I wish she took a few more risks, but it does make for a fascinating album from the biggest pop star in the world. Break it all down, and she just made an album about how pissed off she is for losing her mind lusting over rockstar dick during what most perceive to be the most successful, sparkling year of her life. It’s embarrassing and funny and sad, and it’s willing to explore feelings I didn’t think she would touch while in her “untouchable era”. The biggest bop on the album is basically her singing to fans how much she wants to die while performing for them, dd.

It’s just kind of a scream, really. This is the same woman who made Love Story and Shake It Off.
When you frame it in this light it does give the album a very interesting vibe. I’m a casual fan and she really did hit a huge commercial high last year after a few years of being not so well liked. But it appears despite her renewed success she might be struggling? I do look forward to listening to it tomorrow.

I just posted about really enjoying Fortnight, but I think So Long, London would've made a great opener too. Sets up the overall theme of the album well.

Reactions: aux
He/him
I get the critiques for the album, and I agree that it will be very polarizing (aside from immediate sales), but I do appreciate how genuinely unhinged and unpolished she comes across lyrically here. I was expecting an album much more poetic and sophisticated than what we received.
I agree with this but the problem is that the narrative that you can put together here is more interesting than at least half the songs themselves pfft. Like @Sanctuary said, we learn nothing despite how detailed the lyrics seemingly are. If she was going for unhinged, she could have given us her murderous Southern gothic fantasy take on Boys to Pele instead, tbh. Taylor on something like Caught a Lite Sneeze would eat.

I'm a two albums truther now. It Just Makes Sense. What else explains her cryptic tweet shortly after the leak? And all this talk of a surprise? We're listening to some AI-generated mess.

IxO0w0r.gif
What did she tweet?

Much to say, as per usual, but I don’t get the “it’s just Midnights 2.0!!!” upset. For now, though, Clara Bow has snuck up on me and I’m tearing up at my desk?? Anytime she references how…long spanning and the gargantuan leaps she’s made from a princess dress with curly hair on a front porch rips my heart out. And it didn’t happen overnight. It was long and labored and she’s insane and I’m thankful to have been here the whole time. It makes me think of my own journey, as sappy and gross as it is. Ugh.

Also, the album might’ve been worth it for Guilty As Sin? alone. I get stuck on that one every time. A song.

Subwaykid

Staff member
Yeah, anyone who’s saying she doesn’t have anything to say isn’t listening close enough or maybe just hyper-focusing on production, something she’s never been keen to prioritize.

Could what she’s saying have been more direct and succinct? Sure, but the mess is probably part of the point.

I've just gone through the last fifteen or so pages (call it masochism) and honestly, seeing people who were never going to like this album no matter what it sounded like anyway make twenty posts about how much they don't like this album... when it has only been out there for a few hours and hasn't even been released yet... I'm tired.