Taylor Swift - The Tortured Poets Department

He/Him
I joked before but she should be pushed to start on the melody level. Do some melody passes to existing production ideas. Right now it feels like poems and journal entries are getting retrofitted to a few guitar chords and then sprinkled with the same glittery synths loops, and she's not even trying to sing anymore despite her skill level improving over the years.
This. A thousand times this!

I just find myself always wanting to take a red pen to her lyrics.

This passage that @Babyface posted is very good but a few alterations would make it perfect:

Taylor Swift said:
Oh, what a valiant roar
What a bland goodbye
The coward claimed he was a lion
I'm combing through the braids of lies
"I'll never leave," "nevermind"
Our field of dreams engulfed in fire
Your arsons match your somber eyes
And I'll still see it until I die
You're the loss of my life

The intense writing is undermined by the line I bolded. It clutters the passage up with too much figurative language, which is her recent weakness. "Braids of lies" is distracting. I think "I'm still combing through all his lies" would be better even if it doesn't seem as colorful on the surface. That way, a pretty fantastic combination of well used cliche and striking figuration like, "Our fields of dreams engulfed in fire/Your arsons match your somber eyes," would have more room to breathe.

She does a little too much and it does come across as high school poetry sometimes because of that. That's why I don't think she's a great lyricist. She still has kinks to work out of her style whereas great lyricism comes off more confident and seasoned.

Last edited:
Charlie Puth
ehw5gzk1f4vc1.jpeg

He/Him/His
Lol the amount of policing people who dislike something from posting in said thread is truly getting out of control on here. Give it a fucking break.
It's a huge problem in this forum in general, not just this thread.
I'm sorry, is anyone redacting or deleting your posts? Whining about shit as fake as cancel culture. If y'all wanna post whatever insipid bullshit and people wanna respond with insipid bullshit, then that's that on that. Post your replies and move on. No one has to like what you put out, and you literally don't have to engage with anyone's feelings about your posts.

Yeah, people should be able to express that they don't like something but coming for an album that you haven't heard yet is dumb. And most people who love to cry about feeling like they're being silenced!!11 for being negative are getting rightfully called out for constantly replying to the people who are enjoying things trying to convince them that they're wrong. I said what I said!

I'm sorry, is anyone redacting or deleting your posts? Whining about shit as fake as cancel culture. If y'all wanna post whatever insipid bullshit and people wanna respond with insipid bullshit, then that's that on that. Post your replies and move on. No one has to like what you put out, and you literally don't have to engage with anyone's feelings about your posts.
It's not about anybody liking what I put out because I know I'm a divisive kind of poster. It's just an annoying aspect of this forum and other forums as well. I was being dramatic saying it's a huge problem.

Last edited:

Yeah, never said that was happening.

Glad I was able to post whatever the fuck I wanted and get such a lovely
back and forth going.

Have a great day!

Call me parasocial, call me weird but I cannot divorce the fact that most of these songs are about Matty Healey like. He is so odious and off-putting, that whole situation where Taylor was essentially Cassie from season two of Euphoria at multiple Eras Tour stops last summer is something I didn't need to be reminded of. He's not the love of your life girl, he's literally just a guy.

Yeah, people should be able to express that they don't like something but coming for an album that you haven't heard yet is dumb. And most people who love to cry about feeling like they're being silenced!!11 for being negative are getting rightfully called out for constantly replying to the people who are enjoying things trying to convince them that they're wrong. I said what I said!
Where is your assumption that people coming for the album haven't heard it coming from?

The Charlie Puth line is actually so funny (Zionist behavior aside!). She literally calls herself a modern idiot and her man is high as fuck, so the line makes a lot of sense in that context. Something you might not normally say sober but sounds correct when you're ten sheets to the wind.

The hand-wringing and taking everything so literally with the writing across this album is funky. We know she loves a good metaphor so to expect any less is comical. She's still firmly in her bag across the entire set so she's gonna be just fine.

Anyway, I like the album a lot! Current highlights include "Fortnight" (the dreamy, indie-ish synths ate me the fuck up!), "So Long, London", "Fresh Out the Slammer", "Florida!!!" and "I Can Fix Him (No Really I Can)".