Taylor Swift - The Tortured Poets Department

The second half is very... Evermore (and FAR TOO MUCH Aaron Dessner if you ask me - it doesn't surprise me that his songs on the first half are where he switched it up a bit).

But still, some of the best the album has to offer is here: The Albatross, So High School, I Hate It Here, The Prophecy, The Bolter, The Manuscript.

Last edited:
I'm so depressed I act like it's my birthday everyday

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Whew. She is really something. All together, it shades of Midnights/Evermore/Red…which turns out being its entirely own project. Imagine that!

So much to take in, but there’s a lot here that is fantastic. Hopefully these added tracks prevent any additional “Well…is she a good songwriter?” posts because please be so serious.

Whew. She is really something. All together, it shades of Midnights/Evermore/Red…which turns out being its entirely own project. Imagine that!

So much to take in, but there’s a lot here that is fantastic. Hopefully these additional tracks prevent any additional “Well…is she a good songwriter?” posts because please be so serious.
But but…CHARLIE PUTH!!! She’s DONE!

he/him
Is the second half actually good?
Or was the first half just so disappointing that anything sounds better?
I'm a certified folklore/evermore pessimist who liked Midnights more than both and still (despite getting repeatedly jumped for this view) hold that they fit in a kind of Emperor's New Clothes realm where the gag of them influences how people claim they're so much better than the rest of her discography (and her pop material). And that the winter swamp witch thing is done well but not really HER.

To her credit, The Anthology / 2nd disc / TTPD2 / whatever it's gonna be called feels like it already knows the criticisms aimed at the first half. So the sound is not radically different but it feels both notably different from the mush-mouthed synth pop of Bleachylor Swift but also much lighter than the swamp witch albums.

It's much more... Spring? It feels like an album from 2011 Taylor Swift all-grown-up. The end veers a bit into a lot of slower moments (which dreads in the context of... 31 tracks), but it's overall very organic yet light and still pop. Midnights' sister trading synths for 2000s emo guitars and indie piano pop.