Taylor Swift - The Tortured Poets Department

I don't know if this has been discussed yet but Fnac says golden tickets have been randomly inserted into the limited edition vinyls (white and transparent) that you can redeem to receive a signed photo.

I don't think it's some huge masterplan it's 31 tracks, she knows the streaming numbers will be through the roof with longer releases ddd

Another thought I had is that it's highly unlikely she had much to write about in her relationship with Joe, it's just that she respects him enough not to air more things out in public. There are more songs about Matty because 1) I doubt she shares the same respect for that relationship 2) he's also a public figure (a fairly attention seeking one at that) so it's fair game. She's already been dragged about what little she's written about him as it is.

If nothing else, this is surely an album that laughs in the face of any attempt to neatly reduce it to a single soundbitey instant reaction after just a day or two. The sheer volume and density of it feels at one with how much of its lyrical content seems to be directly responding to how extreme a global sport Taylor Swift commentary has become in the last eighteen months. So I respect that she's making such an explicit demand that people at least spend time with what she has to say and take it seriously; and even if a lot of its individual tracks blended together for me on first listen, it's clear she has a lot more to say here than Lover and reputation and probably Midnights. I've cherry-picked about fifteen songs that I'm excited to spend more time with (and they're more balanced across the two halves than I might have expected).

Also the idea there are only this many songs because she wants to break a Spotify record or whatever strikes me as a very dumb dead-end of an observation. We've known for fifteen years now that it's futile to try to extricate her hunger for commercial dominance from either her "personal life" or her songwriting/artistry; they are all one thing, and she's never existed any other way. Everything about this album (which emerged from a moment in which she transcended the meaning of celebrity "overexposure" in a way we'll probably never see again) seems to represent the apex of the completely untanglable relationship between those things. It sounds like a fatigued and frustrated document of a moment none of us can fully understand, in a way that I'm curious to dig into deeper.

This fluffy mid tempo soundscape of the main album (not got to the anthology yet) is really exhausting and does the latter half even more disservice where its a bit more interesting

Right? I can’t fathom why they’re thrown all these songs in a pot together when there are two distinct albums here.

If were Taylor Swift, I would have release Tortured Poets as an Antonoff ‘Midnights Part II’, done one of her stupid treasure hunt campaigns to throw her fans in a tizzy, then surprise drop a second entirely separate album of the Dressner songs (Folklore Part II).

That would be more concise and cohesive from a tracklist perspective and also more exciting and interesting from a release perspective. As it stands Im going to have to make my own playlist (which I hate doing, albums should not need to be edited by the listener) because this is all exhausting.

A 31 track album is pure chaos but it works so much better if you just split the Antonoff and Dessner songs and treat it as two separate volumes of work.

I don't know if this has been discussed yet but Fnac says golden tickets have been randomly inserted into the limited edition vinyls (white and transparent) that you can redeem to receive a signed photo.
Those that said the Charlie, Chocolate and Golden lyric as being clunky for surely some reason called it.

Translated from FNAC

"Golden Ticket Taylor Swift

Golden tickets have been randomly slipped into the vinyl records of "The Tortured Poets Department", order and try to find them in order to win photos signed by Taylor Swift*.

Offer valid for Fnac exclusive white version and limited transparent version vinyl records in stock, sold and shipped by Fnac.com and in the 6 participating stores (Fnac Forum, Fnac Lille, Fnac Lyon Bellecour, Fnac Strasbourg, Fnac Toulouse Wilson and Fnac Rouen), in the..."

Last edited:
Those that said the Charlie, Chocolate and Golden lyric as being clunky for surely some reason called it.

Translated from FNAC

"Golden Ticket Taylor Swift

Golden tickets have been randomly slipped into the vinyl records of "The Tortured Poets Department", order and try to find them in order to win photos signed by Taylor Swift*.

Offer valid for Fnac exclusive white version and limited transparent version vinyl records in stock, sold and shipped by Fnac.com and in the 6 participating stores (Fnac Forum, Fnac Lille, Fnac Lyon Bellecour, Fnac Strasbourg, Fnac Toulouse Wilson and Fnac Rouen), in the..."

Writing terrible lyrics for a commercial tie-in. Our capitalist queen strikes again!