Taylor Swift - The Tortured Poets Department

Any/All
The Midnight redux being superior to the Evermore redux is the gag of this whole release. Plus the fact that the Charlie Puth line is nowhere near the worst lyrical clunkers.

If nothing else, this is surely an album that laughs in the face of any attempt to neatly reduce it to a single soundbitey instant reaction after just a day or two. The sheer volume and density of it feels at one with how much of its lyrical content seems to be directly responding to how extreme a global sport Taylor Swift commentary has become in the last eighteen months.

The album is ridiculously long but… there really isn’t that much to unpack here? It’s an excercise in recycling first and foremost, with very few moments that are that sonically interesting or envelope-pushing. And apart from Easter Eggs and references to her dating history (that I personally don’t care for), I just don’t find a lot to be engaged in as a music listener. She has already done most of these songs ten times already.

When you are all like, oh the second half is better and the second half begins at track 16.

giphy.gif

I wish I was as excited as some of you for this record. I have loved Taylor from Speak Now to evermore (well... except for Lover) but everything has sounded so flat since then. I've skipped most of the songs on the first CD and I don't even wanna listen to CD 2. I don't know if I have outgrown her or if it's just fatigue from her being literally everywhere but I miss the old days when I used to listen to her records for weeks when they came out.

Is the second half actually good?
Or was the first half just so disappointing that anything sounds better?
The second half is a marginal improvement on the first, but clearly the lyrics were the only thing she cared about on this album.
There’s no effort to write an interesting melody or play with rhythm, the album is completely homogenous.

I’m sure that writing the lyrics was cathartic for her but everything is too wordy, needs editing down. She needs someone around to tell her ‘no’ every once in a while - I feel like the only time she ever gets that is when she’s being dumped.

The album is ridiculously long but… there really isn’t that much to unpack here? It’s an excercise in recycling first and foremost, with very few moments that are that sonically interesting or envelope-pushing. And apart from Easter Eggs and references to her dating history (that I personally don’t care for), I just don’t find a lot to be engaged in as a music listener. She has already done most of these songs ten times already.
Oh I more mean just... letting all these songs land as songs, as opposed to "unpacking" the narrative content or whatever. I don't really buy that it's possible in good faith to already have the extremely defined opinions that many in this thread are exhibiting about a body of 31! brand-new tracks.

At first listen, I'm not sure how So Long London can sit with All Too Well, White Horse, The Archer, Delicate, AYHTDWS, My Tears Ricochet, Tolerate It and You're On Your Own, Kid at the Track 5 table.

Reactions: Sam
Is she aiming for a 2 million debut week in the US with this double album strategy? The pre-orders are insane numbers and the streams across 31 songs will be huge.

I wish I was as excited as some of you for this record. I have loved Taylor from Speak Now to evermore (well... except for Lover) but everything has sounded so flat since then. I've skipped most of the songs on the first CD and I don't even wanna listen to CD 2. I don't know if I have outgrown her or if it's just fatigue from her being literally everywhere but I miss the old days when I used to listen to her records for weeks when they came out.
Yeah I feel the same. I’m loving the second part and a couple of
tracks on part 1. But it’s all too much. This, midnights, the TVs, the 3 hour long tour. The fatigue is getting to me.

Yea I’m sorry but this isn’t working for me. As a stan of some of her work I did enjoy most of the leaked songs and last night I was actually excited to wake up today and get to listen to the official release but 31 songs? Thoughts and prayers! That’s two hours!

I’m happy for the swifties though, it’s been said countless times before but stanning this woman is indeed very rewarding.