Taylor Swift - The Tortured Poets Department

Aaron Dessner and Taylor make really beautiful work together and the bulk of The Anthology proves this. Gutted the main album is getting attention when songs on the "extra" part are up with her best on evermore and folklore.

Likening this album to Boys for Pele just because they are both confessional body of works is… not it.

Boys for Pele tries many soundscapes with more cryptic, affecting and interesting lyrics that pushed Tori’s artistry to the brink of backlash at the time because it was so different. Like where is the Talula, Blood Roses or In the Springtime of His Voodoo in here?
I'm not even a Tori Amonster, but who could make that comparison with a straight face?

I don't even mean that as shade, it's just that they couldn't be further apart.

I'm not even a Tori Amonster, but who could make that comparison with a straight face?

I don't even mean that as shade, it's just that they couldn't be further apart.

It pretty much ended her mainstream appeal as I remember it. Although if TS fancies having a go at a Chas 'n' Dave track as a B-Side this era, I'd like to hear it.

The industry is so different now and she’s in a position to do whatever the fuck she wants with releases, including how many tracks she puts out and give you the whole package.
Yeah, she'll give you the whole package but only if you buy the four different vinyls, just to surprise you two hours later with 15 more tracks to make up 31 in total (13 backwards, quirky!) and make you stream even more to beat any Spotify record set before her. And we'll see what else she puts up for sale before the tracking week is over.

I can understand the whole "she wants the whole unfiltered story out there" sentiment, but... I don't believe it. There are good (some great) songs in here, but I feel like more than half of the released material is just out of the vault to inflate the numbers and cannibalise all and every chart out there.

I do think it's interesting how the two biggest artists in the world right now are both pulling from Prince's artistic MO intentional and not: Beyonce more so in style and eclectic sonic choices while Taylor it's obviously more in the sheer output and deluge of releases. Even down to Prince re-recording his old material first!

Not much of a point here except wanting to acknowledge his impact on popular music in more ways than just strictly sound. Truly the only artist that touches Madonna.

he/him
I do think it's interesting how the two biggest artists in the world right now are both pulling from Prince's artistic MO intentional and not: Beyonce more so in style and eclectic sonic choices while Taylor it's obviously more in the sheer output and deluge of releases. Even down to Prince re-recording his old material first!

Not much of a point here except wanting to acknowledge his impact on popular music in more ways than just strictly sound. Truly the only artist that touches Madonna.

This album might not be for me as someone who does like to listen to releases front to back, but I do love the idea of more artists releasing longer bodies of work. They don’t need to be like 20+ tracks, but thinking of how Billie’s upcoming album is only 10 tracks but still clocks in at 45 minutes. Like I would love to get back to ~albums~ and focusing less on singles.

I was genuinely surprised there was a second album when the counter dropped, having sat with the leak for 24 hours and loved it!

I love that there’s so much content from one of my favourite artists. Calling for less or more tightly edited, well do that yourself, what you like will always be a personal choice.

Right now I’m enjoying everything, some more than others and my favourites keep changing. The melodies of tortured poets dept are currently inescapable.

I cannot wait for the video and will be staying up to watch it - release day/week is such a great time.

From my outsider understanding of Marvel, I feel like we're at that moment when the wider audience beyond the most zealous fans simply became exhausted because they'd seen it all before, the writing's less tight, etc.
This is an interesting comparison, for sure. I am also not a fan of Marvel for reasons I fear Taylor may be straying dangerously close to: overexposure, flooding the market with middling material, etc.

Let me be clear, Taylor is nowhere near the dark nadir of Marvel at their worst. But it might behoove her to take a step back and let the public breathe a minute. Get the casuals hungry again; you've already got your hardcore ride-or-dies.

LTG

he/him
Why do the bulky releases irk so many of you to such a degree nn like why the vitriol because she released 31 songs instead of…19.
As a collective on this forum we’re probably more inclined to listen to whole albums and appreciate the package an artist is giving us. There’s often something unbeatable about a perfectly paced 11-track album. You’re happy to have additional content if they release a deluxe later on, even if the impact gets diluted once you have more songs.

A full 2-hour album is a slog, no matter how much you like an artist. And that’s exacerbated when there’s so little sonic variety like we have here. I’ll probably need to listen again in full once I no longer have a cold, but on first listen (having not heard the leak), this was all a bit much.