Taylor Swift - The Tortured Poets Department

These same Swifties who sent threats of violence to the writer because of his review of Lover? There's literally ZERO need or excuse for that shit. You can disagree with reviews, everyone has an opinion, but some people really do go way overboard.
To clarify, I believe it happened and it's inexcusable! It's just what literally any pop star's stans would do to a negative review, and I don't think this writer would feel the need to include a separate tweet like this about any other pop star's fans that have done this, but I digress.
Maybe not. Mostly because most other fanbases wouldn't threaten to kill someone for a bad review. Or they might, but they wouldn't actually mean it.

Apart from Barbz, but we already know they're evil anyway.

I.....think you'd be surprised if you ever took a look at stan twitter nn. It's all of them.

She/Her/Queen
Her and Drake basically using the same strategy to get streams by releasing so many songs to get the most streams.

I wish we had Madonna's Erotica 38 track version, Mariah's Butterfly 50 track version + Tori Amos' Boys for Pele 99 track version + Fiona Apple's When The Pawn... 250 track version.

This streaming generation is spoiled!

Last edited:

Subwaykid

Staff member
I don't care even slightly about chart positions (and the original post I thought was weirdly childish for a moderator, but anyway)
For engaging people on why they seem to be genuinely angry about her releasing 12 extra tracks? I think the replies have been pretty enlightening on both ends of the spectrum, including yours.

he/him
I don't care even slightly about chart positions (and the original post I thought was weirdly childish for a moderator, but anyway)

My "beef" with the album being 31 tracks, if you can call it that, is that you expect an album that long to cover more musical territory and take more risks than this really does. I'll need a couple more listens to really settle on it, but it feels like she's shown us nothing she didn't on the last three albums.
Her original instagram post framed it like as though Tracks 17-31 should be seen as their own album (because a double-album is effectively two albums in one release), but the chosen release strategy seemingly frames it as some uber-long deluxe that makes it one giant project and not another two sister pieces a la Folk/More.

It'd be more interesting if it was packaged in actually as two distinct albums though she'd never let the kind of chart short-changing happen to her (though holding the physicals back for Album 2 and then releasing them later, making the chart just weeks of Taylor vs Taylor battles for #1 would have been interesting but... she's too big business for that!).

I think the album is good but as someone who as I mentioned only really listens to her music casually I don’t really have a ton of previous experience with her albums as a whole so I can’t really tell if things sound completely the same or not. I’ve actually never “related” to her music but for some reason I’m relating to this sort of messiness.

For engaging people on why they seem to be genuinely angry about her releasing 12 extra tracks? I think the replies have been pretty enlightening on both ends of the spectrum, including yours.
Believe me, I'd love to live in a world with so few things to be angry about that I could fit a Taylor Swift album on to the list.

I'm not angry. This is what she felt inspired to do and no one else is pulling her strings. There are undoubtedly moments of greatness, as always with her. I just feel that as - indisputably - the biggest music act in the world right now, she has a vast captive audience and is well placed to take musical risks. Who knows, maybe next time she will.

The Paste review is ridiculous and does feel a bit of a hit piece. I understand that they’d want to prioritise the safety of the writer, but the tweet does feel a little self serving to justify some of the attacks in the review… it also prevents any checks into the writer, considering Pitchfork’s Madame X review riled many posters here.

To clarify, I believe it happened and it's inexcusable! It's just what literally any pop star's stans would do to a negative review, and I don't think this writer would feel the need to include a separate tweet like this about any other pop star's fans that have done this, but I digress.

I.....think you'd be surprised if you ever took a look at stan twitter nn. It's all of them.
But it wasn't any other stars fans, it is this pop stars fans. If it happened before then it's pretty obvious they would call it out when they next reviewed work by said star. It's not a personal slight on Taylor or her fans, they did this to themselves.

he/him
The Paste review is ridiculous and does feel a bit of a hit piece. I understand that they’d want to prioritise the safety of the writer, but the tweet does feel a little self serving to justify some of the attacks in the review… it also prevents any checks into the writer, considering Pitchfork’s Madame X review riled many posters here.

The review is a bit unprofessional but I saw someone point out that Rob Sheffield is literally writing a book about Taylor's legacy yet Rolling Stone still earmarked him to review the album and deliver a 5/5 star review so it feels like both extremes measure one another each out.

Quite interesting to see dissenting professional reviews popping up, probably the first time in her career?

Hopefully it will be the emperor's new clothes moment that will push her to try harder, or at least care more about the quality of the songs rather than streaming numbers.

This did have me screaming though:
And, sure, Swift is probably too easy a punching bag in this case—and most of the time, I would argue she is undeserving of being a victim of such barbs. But, you cannot write about someone being a “tattooed golden retriever” and get away with it and still retain your title as the best songwriter of your generation. You just cannot.

I just realized the Peter connection in Cardigan
tumblr_nx8vnmjb8j1ql5yr7o2_400.gif

The song's still pretty dull but the video was really gorgeous. It's nice to watch a Taylor video that looks glossy and expensive without being CGI'd to the nth degree.

Reactions: -M-