Taylor Swift - The Tortured Poets Department

Loved the video, probably her best self-directed one. I loved the mix of the old fashioned visuals with a modern/sleek overtone to them. And Ethan Hawke was a surprise!

I'm actually gagged that the video was written and directed by her??? I was genuinely curious who did it because I did not expect it to be her ddd. It's absolutely stunning, I'm in love with it. Her best video in a very long time. The looks, the chemistry between her and Post, the acting (she actually sells it here, as does Mr. Austin Post), the cameos (!!!! the Dead Poets Society nod is everything to me), an absolute 10/10. Wow. I'm surprised that it actually fits the song, too.

Looooooove the Fortnight video. I hope we get more than one video this era.

As for the album...I'm sure this will change but I currently have no skips. Like even in a shuffling capacity. I'm sure that'll change events, and I probably just need to digest it more, but upon first, second or third listen of every album since reputation, I knew which songs pretty quickly that I wouldn't return to as much, even if I think they're objectively great. I'm so happy to have this album.
Also find it hilarious that people are saying she just chucked everything from the album sessions on streaming and didn't edit when I'm certain she wrote way more than 31 songs the past few years ddd.

Also, the album does take you a journey. The first half is definitely the more manic, emotional, intense roller-coaster ride of highs and lows with the second half being the more reflective, quieter stuff that happens in the aftermath.

I do think it makes sense that oversaturation is contributing to the reception of this in here. Like, if this was four years after Midnights with all the recordings done for at least 2, or 3 of those years and no tour, people would be much more excited and/or happy with this.

I just wanna say that I'm extremely surprised at how good the album sounds on Spotify. It sounds really high quality with earphones and songs like guilty as sin really surprised me. The drums!! It's a nice change considering speak now tv and 1989 tv sounded quite bad

he/him
Also find it hilarious that people are saying she just chucked everything from the album sessions on streaming and didn't edit when I'm certain she wrote way more than 31 songs the past few years ddd.

I mean, writing songs is different than following that through to a demo or a final track. She could have written 2 songs every day for the last 3 years and only recorded a fraction of that. I'd be surprised if she did much more than what she's just put out. I also don't think there's anything inherently negative in the idea that she put it all out there. I would argue that's the entire idea of this project, which is why she's using literary terms like "manuscript" and "anthology":

A “manuscript” is the unpublished version of what would eventually become a book, while a “book” is published. For example, a manuscript is when a book is in its early stages of preparation. An edited or unedited manuscript is an early version or a draft, and not yet a book.

so I’ve spent the whole day not listening to it cos I always trust what the general consensus is on here; and me being under the illusion it was bad, was honestly in no rush to listen to it, but…

fuck me, i love it. it really sounds like she’s embracing the alt- indie synth sound. Midnights mirrored this but in an artificial, sugary way that didn’t seem as genuine and I much prefer this to that. she also really doesn’t seem too care about making ‘bops’ or radio friendly songs for the GP which is something else about this I love.

the overall soundscape is darker and richer - definitely made from the same heart as reputation but with the same brain as folklore/ evermore. this album is for the people who’s favourites are: delicate, labyrinth, call it what you want, closure, is it over now? etc

upon first listen, I look forward to revisiting this on loop along with Cowboy Carter. maybe i’m just a sucker for this kind of sound but there’s so much to get lost in, and there are some immediate highlights that make great additions to her god tier songs such as But Daddy I Love Him, Guilty as Sin, Who’s Afraid of Little Old Me, Loml, Who Can Do It With A Broken Heart, The Smallest Man Who Ever Lived, The Black Dog and So High School. could the second part do with some heavy editing? YES. but, it’s incredible she’s given us so much that we can create our own perfect playlist from these 31 songs given I personally think, the 16 track edition is quite brilliant anyways. also, the artwork compliments the soundscape perfectly which is always a plus.

I especially don’t get the hate with the first 5 tracks ?! think they flow into each other so gorgeously and are all great. out of the original 16 track edition - only ’fresh out the slammer’ didn’t instantly click with me - the rest are extremely solid.

I guess it entirely depends on what we expected from Taylor on this new record. I had no expectations though I had a fear that it would be a Midnights 2.0/ 1989 vault track step down. but I honestly think the weight, maturity and more fearless (pardon the pun) approach of this makes it a big step up. she truly is giving 0 fucks on this album and that kind of Taylor is always gonna be my favourite.

I mean, writing songs is different than following that through to a demo or a final track. She could have written 2 songs every day for the last 3 years and only recorded a fraction of that. I'd be surprised if she did much more than what she's just put out. I also don't think there's anything inherently negative in the idea that she put it all out there. I would argue that's the entire idea of this project, which is why she's using literary terms like "manuscript" and "anthology":
Fair! And I personally wouldn't find it to be a negative if that was the case, it just has been presented as one in the thread.