now that
I know
better
I will
never
lose my
BAAAAABY AGGAAAAAIN

giphy.gif

I've actually become a lil bit obsessed with my version of the album to the point where I think this might actually be bothering the top end of her discography after all fff. Only with the fat trimmed, and not breaking the Top 4 (folklore/1989/evermore/Red) but it's far better than I thought at the time of release. It works just as a really oddly thorough meditation on resentment and despondency, and gradually attempting to let that go. I'm really charmed by a lot of it.

I cannot stress enough once again just how much of a travesty, "I Can Do It..." is in my eyes. The verses and bridge leading up to the chorus are great but that fucking chorus where Jack is just derping away on a xylophone is horrific. It could be so good and instead it's just a bit awful.

I will say... I get that she's busy, and I get that the album is smashing on its own, but I think it's both a shame and a mistake to not at least attempt to work any more proper singles out of it, and I do think that once this era of her career is over, the lack of a singles run is only going to assist the album's actual content in getting lost in the shuffle of just the hugeness of everything going on at the moment. Is "Fortnight" really going to be the only setlist survivor out of thirty one tracks going forward? Even with Midnights - when we thought she couldn't get any bigger then, and was maybe playing around overexposure which is clearly not a concern anymore - there were three singles and four videos. It's just a bit of a shame that the biggest popstar on the planet... isn't really popstarring.

I do think things would be different on the singles front if she didn't still have Reputation and Taylor Swift left to re-release, and I suspect she wants them out with the end of the tour. So I am fully expecting Reputation in September and the debut in December.

I think she also probably thinks singles are pointless because the entire album is being streamed like its a hit single. It's what, 5x platinum in the US already? I do think My Boy, Daddy, and Guilty As Sin deserve their moments. Down Bad is the most obvious single but who wants a clean edit all over radio? Just give us the masturbation anthem of the year instead please.

Mvnl

Staff member
Yeah I can see how she doesn't need the singles as promotional tools anymore, and if she can get crowds to go crazy each night for basically any random album track she decides to dig up she may not even need singles for that purpose either, but.. in the long run singles are more than just that, I feel? Even an I Can See You came more alive for me because of its video and because I heard it in public one time.

Yeah I can see how she doesn't need the singles as promotional tools anymore, and if she can get crowds to go crazy each night for basically any random album track she decides to dig up she may not even need singles for that purpose either, but.. in the long run singles are more than just that, I feel? Even an I Can See You came more alive for me because of its video and because I heard it in public one time.
"In the long run" is changing and difficult to predict. For example look at the performance of Cruel Summer, not really a single, no video but is still everywhere - is this just the tour effect or something else?

The days of promoting a single for impact in the UK that I grew up with, live performances on TOTP, CD:UK, WOGAN, Blue Peter (heh), music TV, radio and perhaps even Awards shows are long over.

However, in saying that, I'd love a couple more videos, Down Bad, Guilty as Sin? or But Daddy I Love Him please.

Mvnl

Staff member
"In the long run" is changing and difficult to predict. For example look at the performance of Cruel Summer, not really a single, no video but is still everywhere - is this just the tour effect or something else?

The days of promoting a single for impact in the UK that I grew up with, live performances on TOTP, CD:UK, WOGAN, Blue Peter (heh), music TV, radio and perhaps even Awards shows are long over.

However, in saying that, I'd love a couple more videos, Down Bad, Guilty as Sin? or But Daddy I Love Him please.

Oh yeah you're right about that, I can't look into the future. And Cruel Summer feels like a single by now (though mostly the live version for me because I got so used to that from all the Tiktoks and the album version now feels oddly flat?).
I guess the music industry just keeps changing and I'm thinking with a 90s mind. But there's just something to singles that.. seperates them from all the other stuff on an album? Even if just for all the non faves that grew on me massively once they got the video treatment/remixes/radio play. (Also I still compile my yearlists based on singles only which I should possibly change)

I am so glad I am a very casual Taylor Swift fan. I am not sure how stressful it is to have everything she releases to collect.
I’ve only ever bought every variant of one album (Placebo - Never Let Me Go) and each time I see them on my shelf, I just think about how much room they take up, and that I’d like to sell them, but they don’t go for much eBay so I haven’t bothered to. Since then I just stick to the one copy of the vinyl, maybe the CD.