Taylor Swift - The Tortured Poets Department

I could see this one being a bit more Lana cosplay. Just going by the titles, that is.

Maybe “Florida!!!” is the new “Venice Bitch”.

Subwaykid

Staff member
I finally figured out what the colors and cover(s) are giving me

We can only hope for excellence like this.

I think balancing the stadium-filling pop hits with the songwriter appeal of Folkmore is a tough act that Midnights handled…well enough, if not as adeptly as someone of her status is maybe capable of. I also think someone like her who does tend to pivot sounds between albums is aware there needs to be a switch up here. The Vault tracks on 1989 TV were fine and I think helped update and pad out “the bops” in her discography but were really indicative of this soft synth pop she does being wrung to its last drop. I’m going into TTPD fairly confident we’re not going to get another 20 tracks of that.

I feel like all the song titles and art are a red herring with her actually poking fun at herself and it's not going to be sad at all, but we'll see.

I've been thinking about the title of the album the last few days, and I think I've ended up on the theory that it's not so serious neither is it sarcastic. Like, I don't think we are getting an "I am a poor tortured poet/artist" album. I think it will be more about trying to escape becoming one, or avoid staying being one forever (and how that is intrinsically connected to her relationship with Joe and the end of it, plus the ties to You're Losing Me, and Renegade, and other songs on Midnights too)

Last edited:
I don't think it'll be a Joe diss album. Soundwise, I'm guessing it will split the difference between Folklore and Midnights (using Florence and Post Malone as guide posts). All I know is she and Jack need to move past their mid-tempo synthpop default mode. That sound is very tired, especially after the Taylor's Versions, and I'd like to hear something new from them.

She/Her/Queen
I finally figured out what the colors and cover(s) are giving me

We can only hope for excellence like this.

I think balancing the stadium-filling pop hits with the songwriter appeal of Folkmore is a tough act that Midnights handled…well enough, if not as adeptly as someone of her status is maybe capable of. I also think someone like her who does tend to pivot sounds between albums is aware there needs to be a switch up here. The Vault tracks on 1989 TV were fine and I think helped update and pad out “the bops” in her discography but were really indicative of this soft synth pop she does being wrung to its last drop. I’m going into TTPD fairly confident we’re not going to get another 20 tracks of that.

I love tayTay but she doesn't have the range to pull off an album like The Desired Effect - it's Brandon's masterpiece. <3

Subwaykid

Staff member
It’s basically what Jack’s been trying to do with Bleachers for the last decade.

But, anyway, not quite the sound I want her going for (the 80s pastiche has run its course for her, I think) but something more lite-rock leaning doesn’t seem out of the realm of possibilities. Maybe this will be the 70’s folk rock album that Midnights wasn’t.

It’s basically what Jack’s been trying to do with Bleachers for the last decade.

But, anyway, not quite the sound I want her going for (the 80s pastiche has run its course for her, I think) but something more lite-rock leaning doesn’t seem out of the realm of possibilities. Maybe this will be the 70’s folk rock album that Midnights wasn’t.
I wouldn’t be mad if it was something along the lines of Would’ve, Could’ve, Should’ve.

she/her
I can't remember who said this album was about going through the five stages of grief (was it a podcast? was it someone on the forum? was it Taylor herself? I've no idea)...but now that feels correct.

Some of the song titles would definitely fit that theory...'I Can Fix Him' for bargaining, 'Loml' for depression, etc.

I can't remember who said this album was about going through the five stages of grief (was it a podcast? was it someone on the forum? was it Taylor herself? I've no idea)...but now that feels correct.

Some of the song titles would definitely fit that theory...'I Can Fix Him' for bargaining, 'Loml' for depression, etc.
The descriptions of the playlists read more like Taylor made these playlists because the fans were speculating on the 5 stages of grief, not because that’s the actual album concept.

“as intrepid Swifties began hunting and assembling and pinning clues to digital corkboards, eventually landing on the theory that her 11th studio album is sure to explore the five stages of heartbreak. And when Swifties agree upon a theory, Taylor takes an interest—so, naturally, she’s responded by crafting a series of exclusive playlists, choosing songs of her own that fit each stage.”

I do think the things she says in the messages are probably things that will pop up in the themes of the songs, but not so much because she was intentionally working through these five stages. More just because they are common emotions when dealing with a breakup.

Sonically this NEEDS to be different from what we’ve had before but I have faith we will be surprised.
THIS is what I am hoping for---I feel like we've had mellow Taylor for a good while; i'd love to get back to a more fun TSWIFT sound. Honestly, I am just beyond over Jack's production and am really hoping it's not the same sound as Midnights. I might feel differently if it didn't feel like the 1989 TV's new tracks were just taken from Midnight songs that didn't make the album. I've been surprised every album, so I have faith that I'll be proven wrong.