Taylor Swift - The Tortured Poets Department

Ok, on first listen this sounds like she put on a blender the least pop side of Midnights, the ballads from evermore and folklore with a tiny little sprinkle of reputation. It's very dramatic. Want to listen on better quality. Overall It's a cohesive body of work but it just sounds like the same thing again from her. Is tiresome.
The first 4 tracks are the most pop and track 9 (that one is really good!)
It was only by track 13 that there was a little interesting change production wise. But she keeps using the same gimmicks over and over again that I get bored easily.
Track 6 is gonna be massive live.
She ended her ex on track 14
So glad Florence is not relegated to background vocals only.
She urgently needs to work with new producers.
The Black Dog bonus track is ok.
Red remains untouched.

Highlights: Fortnight, My Boy Only Breaks His Favorite Toys, Down Bad, But Daddy I Love Him, Guilty As Sin, I Can Do It With A Broken Heart.

aux

he/him
I’m going to hold off from making a large post about the album because I feel like I need to listen to this with the lyrics right in front of me to wholly make sense of this. However, I don’t downright dislike anything on here and the songs I enjoyed, I think are fantastic. The “escapist, hint-of-country altpop journey” that @Euphoria perfectly describes is probably my favourite run of the album and I sincerely hope she keeps going further into that in the future because it sounded so refreshing. Overall, I’m really pleased with the album and I can’t wait to sink my teeth into it for the rest of the year.

I can see Down Bad being big. Maybe I Can Do It With A Broken Heart.

Other than that I'm not really hearing any big singles at all?! She doesn't really need them anymore, I guess. This will have massive first week sales.

I really hope there isn't a surprise 2nd album dd.

Reactions: aux

aux

he/him
I’m curious what they’re gonna do with radio singles for this album too. Fortnight is likely the lead but even that isn’t the hooky bop you’d expect, and most of the album is very Indie-quirk. Genuinely curious how the GP will react to this
Yeah, this was one of my immediate thoughts too. I didn’t hear anything that immediately sounded like a single, filled with hooks, that sort of thing. It’ll be an intriguing campaign. I also wondered… What songs from here will make it onto the set list if any?

So Long, London into But Daddy I Love Him would have been such a good opening 1-2 punch I’m not sure why we needed the preceding 4 songs at all. They’re not even bad (aside from the title track) just really redundant and meandering. Probably could have dispersed them/made a few bonus tracks for better effect.

I’m one listen in and immediately nothing comes close to the lows of Vigilante Shit, Question, Bejewelled or Glitch. Having said that I have no idea what they’re going to do about singles as it’s very wordy and nothing as obvious as Karma or Anti Hero.

This is a better album than Midnights. I don't know if any song on here is better than the highs on Midnights, if that makes sense, but this is absolutely a better package. I'm eager to sink into it and that's not something I could say about the previous album.
That very much makes sense, as it’s not unusual for her. I’ve always said Red and Lover are not my favorite albums from her but they house some of her all-time career highs (and lowest lows)

Yeah, this was one of my immediate thoughts too. I didn’t hear anything that immediately sounded like a single, filled with hooks, that sort of thing. It’ll be an intriguing campaign. I also wondered… What songs from here will make it onto the set list if any?
I Can Do It With A Broken Heart was the first like, banger, that made me perk up a bit. And even that one is so early Bleachers’ “Gone Now”-indie pop vibe. I can see GP eating up those lyrics though