Tegan & Sara General Discussion | Page 8 | The Popjustice Forum

Tegan & Sara General Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by ohnostalgia, Jun 13, 2017.

1. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

New performances banter!

Slice of Life likes this.
  2. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Great interview on The Con from NPR.

On Tegan’s “lesbian Betty Draper tendencies” (copyright Sara):

On Sara’s anxiety and the difficult nature of The Con:

On the infamous Pitchfork review:

On reframing The Con 10 year’s later:

3. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

4. So is the original Soil, Soil the saddest song of all time?

Yes.

constantino, TRAVVV, LE0Night and 7 others like this.
  5. R92

R92

So @ohnostalgia, in her quest for me to go full-bumpkin, directed me to "Living Room." Is that now my favourite Tegan and Sara song? Yes. Yes it is.

6. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Okay, but did you listen to Superstar and My Number yet?

Living Room is in my Top 10 for sure.

Slice of Life and R92 like this.
  7. Shame so much of the album went interminably dull drawn out ethereal instead of doing anything interesting. Some gems though.

Ferk likes this.
  8. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

The show is beautiful. Depressing, but beautiful.

9. Multimedia queens.

CHVRCHES also had a cameo in it a couple of months ago, ha.

10. They're the best. The show's incredible. They did a version of Are You Ten Years Ago WITHOUT DRUMS that still managed to be amazing.

Can't wait for what they do next. From an interview in one of the Vancouver freesheets and stuff they were saying on stage, seems they're done with the Big Pop Act thing.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  11. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

There was an emotional resonance to their vocals that wasn’t present the last time I saw them. Which isn’t to say the LYTD tour was bad (it wasn’t), but it was very happy dance pop show.

I’m always going to support them whatever they do, but I won’t lie- I’d like to see them step back from the synth pop they’ve been doing and mine some new musical territory.

12. I'm just dying for them to return to their earlier sound, or at least just drop the electronics. Returning to The Con this year has just made their later stuff come off so slight to me.

slaybellz likes this.
  13. Yeah, I love that the last two albums have given us a few big T&S bops to play in a club night, but The Con is my fave of theirs. With their talk on stage of how they loved playing for a dedicated audience (c.f. their last pop show where a group in the crowd were looking at someone's phone for two songs), and how they were loving playing a stripped down set again, and quotes like this:

(From this Georgia Straight interview)

...I'm hoping for something weird and angry.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  14. Same the two Pop albums were fun but i'd like to see them go back to guitars now.

15. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Sara still hates the guitar with a passion, she’s ranting about it on stage and choosing to play piano instead. So any guitar will come from Tegan, but I don’t know if she wants to go there either.

I’d actually love to hear a more piano based album since a lot of the arrangements for The Con were gorgeous.

16. I'd totally be here for a piano album too. They have some great piano based songs. "I Was A Fool", "Alligator" and "Back In Your Head" comes to mind.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  17. I am OBSESSED with MUNA's cover of Relief Next To Me helP.

18. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Anyone know if The Con X may be available on a physical format???

19. I feel like Northshore was them exorcising their guitar demons so they can fully embrace piano and electronics. Because that song is Guitar. City.

I think they struck a great balance between the two with Heartthrob. I'm Not Your Hero is just one example of mixing both their "guitar sound" and the pop leanings.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  20. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Yes: I know it’s on CD and I believe it will also be on Vinyl.

Lander and 2014 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.