Tegan & Sara | Page 11 | The Popjustice Forum

Tegan & Sara

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by ohnostalgia, Jun 13, 2017.

1. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

On first listen it sounds like Tegan’s vocals are more prominent than Sara’s. A plus in my books.

aux and Slice of Life like this.
  2. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Very similar to the arrangement they did on the last tour, for those who weren’t able to attend.

3. I need the Living Room remix they did on the Lytd tour. So good.

4. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I found a copy of Heartthrob at a local record store today. I think it’s the first pressing, not the reissue. Anyways, I’m excited to have it. Now I need to pick up Sainthood.

aux, djmakemewet and wodny like this.
  5. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Acoustic Bad Ones mashed up with Not Tonight.

aux likes this.
  6. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

7. This is a fun idea but I hate that they seem to be resigned to being a nostalgia act at this point.

8. Ooh what was different about the original vs the reissue? I must check what version I have.

9. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

10. What happened after Love You to Death to make them so allergic to trying their hands at new material?

That album and subsequent tour was so warmly received—it felt like it managed to build ever-so-slightly on the success of Heartthrob. They're genuinely beloved across their genre moves. It just feels so odd that they've spent the last six years looking to their past with these last two projects.

Jwentz and Trouble in Paradise like this.
  11. I’m pretty sure they’ve just finished their new album. I think they are self producing again, or at least co-producing. They’ve said they think it’s the best record they’ve ever made. I think it’ll be out in Autumn.

12. Thank God!!!!!!!

13. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Anyone who thinks Tegan & Sara are dedicated to being nostalgia acts is clearly not following them on social media. They’ve been tweeting about their brand new album, which they just finished, for half a year now.

I also don’t think it’s weird for two people who turned 40 not too long ago to spend some time looking back. Sometimes I wonder if people forget they are older because they have younger looking faces.

14. I wasn't expecting a ton from this after hearing it was gonna be a stripped down affair. It never really gets worse than middling (it couldn't because the songs at their core are incredible) but nothing here improved on or matched the originals for me. The new rendition of I Won't Be Left is the absolute highlight and destroyed me when I listened in the middle of the night after release but things like We Didn't Do It, You Wouldn't Like Me, or Wake Up Exhausted let me down a decent amount.

Honestly the disappointment I have with this whole brief trip down memory lane is mainly the choice to do So Jealous vs another album or a career spanning set of tracks. So Jealous received a really comprehensive and nice anniversary project in So Jealous X which collected visuals from the era in a book, the live DVD, the album itself, plus demos/b-sides/remixes in a full package. Not the same thing as the re-recordings obviously but still. Sainthood stans can wither as always, I guess. ":("

---

In other news/not to have this whole post sound negative, this upcoming album is the most excited I've been for a new Tegan and Sara album since the run up to Heartthrob. I think it might be really special.

Trouble in Paradise likes this.
  15. So Jealous was the album that introduced me to Tegan and Sara and they have became one of my favourite artists since.
    The fact this album may have only happened to help them pass the time in early days of the pandemic I am happy to hear the reimagined and acoustic version of this album whilst waiting for the next album.
    Their vocals are beautiful and it is interesting to hear the others take on their siblings songs it shows are well the tracks where written and how actually takes me back on a huge reminiscent trip to when I was in my early 20s finally finding my own way in life.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.