Tennis | Page 151 | The Popjustice Forum

Tennis

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by backstreetjoe, Oct 25, 2009.

1. He

He

Ew, another ignorant.

"He might say racist things, but he's a good person".

londonrain likes this.
  2. "Social justice warriors" and "the tolerant left". All we needed was "snowflakes" and "virtue signalling" for a full house in Twitter Arsehole Bingo.

Boring player, absolute fuckhead of a man, delete delete DELETE.

londonrain likes this.
  3. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Isner has always been liked that. Harrison too.

4. I knew he was a Republican, but I thought he would have had more sense than to wade into something like this on Twitter calling people “social justice warriors”.

5. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Madison really struggles that much against defensive players.

The evil has been defeated. I've really liked Chung from what I've seen from him this tournament.

londonrain likes this.
  6. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Hoping for Woz vs Halep final. Would be great to see the top 2 seeds fighting for #1 and also their first grand slam.

Totto likes this.
  7. That crashing sound you just heard was @Trousers throwing furniture out of a window.

Well done to Simona, who now joins Vika, Maria and the Williams sisters as the only current players to have made the semi-finals of every slam. It's a shame she and Angie aren't meeting in the final, as both are on incredible form right now.

londonrain likes this.
  8. Keys lost 1 and 2 in 50 minutes? Jeez. I am so not here for a Halep Woz final.

9. I wish Sandgren would at least give us a vague apology for his previous tweets (particularly the low-hanging fruit like the obviously transphobic ones) and specifically disavow hate speech and extremist organisations like the EDL.

Instead we got this:
    I'm surprised he didn't work the phrase "fake news" into it somewhere.

10. *Throwing myself out of a window.

Honestly if Kerber has enough gas left in the tank this major should be hers. She's produced the best tennis by far this major. I'm actually glad that Keys didn't take too much out of her to be honest. I had zero faith in her to get through Kerber, Halep and Woz in a row.

londonrain likes this.
  11. I see Serena has asked Tennys to issue a public apology. I love Serena but I always wonder if ever apologised to that US Open linesperson.

12. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

I’ve been so impressed with Angie this entire tournament. She’s playing the best sort of counter-punching game, where you redirect the ball with depth and use the geometry of the court to your advantage. She’s aggressive at exactly the right moment, and she’s enjoying herself. It’s impossible not to like what she’s doing and hope this carries on for the remainder of the season.

But I think my heart is with Simona. Her determination has impressed me over the past two weeks, and she’s playing a level of tennis that deserves a slam. It would be nice to have a number one with a slam and at the peak age for success, exactly where Simona is.

If Woz makes it to the final, which I’m not convinced of if Mertens comes out swinging, then I’ll be happy for whoever wins.

13. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Yes! Woz played an incredible match. Really played towards Mertens weakness. Serve was excellent. Only a few bad points where she was nervous towards the end.

14. Good match between Angie and Simona but a Halep Woz final? No ta.

Trousers likes this.
  15. I'm really hoping Simona isn't dead on her legs come Saturday. She's had - by far - the tougher draw of the two and has battled every step of the way. I think she's answered quite a few of the questions about her mentality this tournament, but it doesn't ultimately matter if she can't finish the job.

Trousers and backstreetjoe like this.
  16. Well. Safe to say this is an Australian Open to forget for me.

Credit to Halep for being the aggressor in those last games. Troubling to see she did get quite negative and make some needless errors during those games too though, considering who she'll play next round. Kerber probably should've withdrawn from Sydney in hindsight, but it was tough for her to know how her level would hold up after last year, and also to know how dire lots of the other title contenders would be this fortnight. I think with a little more gas in the tank she could have taken it in two.

I never thought I'd be rooting for Halep in a slam final but this is so accurate.

londonrain likes this.
  17. Random stat: this is the first Australian Open women's final where a first time slam winner is guaranteed since....1980. The year I was born. Fucking hell.

Shame about Kyle today, he did brilliantly to get this far but I think the physical exertions of getting deep into a slam caught up with him. Is it too much to ask that Chung pulls off the male Ostapenko moment? (Almost certainly, yes.)

Someboy and londonrain like this.
  18. Kyle does seem to have some sort of hip issue, which is what he was getting treatment for after the first set. It seemed better in the second set but was obviously flaring up by the third. Oh well. Lots of great things to take away from this week for him.

19. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

Edmund and Chung getting to a slam semi before Zverev is kind of perfect, especially with Sascha’s precious ego constantly being stroked by everyone around him.

I honestly don’t know who wins tonight. Form would favor Simona, but fitness would favor Woz. I will say this: Simona will reach a few more slam finals, I’m sure of it, but it feels like a ‘now or never’ moment for Woz, and that should motivate her.

londonrain likes this.
  20. I want them both to win. I can't stand that both haven't got any slam tittles yet, while Biñe walks around with two.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.