Tennis | Page 154 | The Popjustice Forum

Tennis

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by backstreetjoe, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

I think it might be more about the tour being done with Maria than Maria being done with the tour. For all the Insta posts during her layoff, she’s come back unfit and lacking decisiveness in her matches. The younger generations still look at her as a major scalp, so they bring their A game against her and she’s unprepared.

2. I don't think it's accurate to say she came back unfit. I just think there were a few things that couldn't really be quantified in her pre-comeback training and conditioning that wound up seriously preventing her from gaining momentum. Things like her schedule being too much, thinking it was a good idea to try aiming to play two slams so early on, the media glare etc. Thing like that naturally stiffen the body on court which makes it way more likely that you'll pick up an injury. The forearm or wrist issues seem to be chronic at this stage, and could lead to her packing it in soon.

But i think if she can get that sorted, she can pick up some wins, more matches and go from there. Not saying she'll be top 3 and winning slams, but I certainly don't think top 20 is out of the question. Her movement is not gonna get too much better at this stage, but let's face it, the younger generation haven't exactly proved themselves to be consistent threats. In fact, no one has. Someone who has heart and experience could do very well on this tour, even with physical and game limitations. Her returning under Sven has always been atrocious and it's essential to her competing well. I think she will struggle with the top, in form retrievers going forward, but let's not forget she did beat Halep in Flushing Meadows last year. The tour has nowhere near enough elite consistency at the moment to write anyone like Maria, Serena, Venus, Vika or Petra off (obviously all different players at different stages, but all are proven champions who have endured some level of struggle over the last few years).

Great to see Ostapenko get a nice win over Bencic. Disappointed in Muguruza, as per usual. She's another one in desperate need of a coaching shakeup.

MollieSwift21 likes this.
  3. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Novak wasn't good. The backhand in particular was going long by quite some margin. His opponent at one point was just getting it back and knowing the mistake would come soon enough.

Slamniacki had a good first match.

4. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Not a great match from Woz but made it through. Her serve was really letting her down especially towards the end.

A nice opening for Coric here that hopefully he can take advantage of. Only has dropped 9 games in three matches.

5. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Coric, del Potro and Raonic is my kind semi finals. Hopefully one of them wins!

Maria out from Miami.

londonrain likes this.
  6. A star is potentially born?

Honestly both girls made it through really credible, tough draws and it was great to see two young players contesting a big final. Kasatkina plays nervy finals. She didn't even really try junk ball today for some reason (not that I'm upset about that at all). Osaka was really smart and aggressive all tournament, and played some great tennis today. I'd love to see her use this as a jump off point and really start regularly going deep. Big credit to Sascha, putting together a nifty coaching CV.

The men's side is honestly too dull for me to really watch or discuss lately, but DelPo winning IW will go some way towards making up for that, so fingers crossed.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Someboy and londonrain like this.
  7. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Osaka style isn’t my favorite but it did look much improved from even last year from her. Her personality is so endearing though that I’m happy to see her succeed.

Rooting for del Potro to win!

8. Osaka-Serena in Miami round 1 is a damn riot.

So over the crowd being pro-Roger to the point of being disrespectful to his opponents. If half of them knew del Potro's story I'd like to think they'd have more class than to cheer and shout when he misses a first serve. That is, incidentally, potentially one of the most annoying things you'll see watching this sport.

Rooneyboy, Someboy and londonrain like this.
  9. The crowd is just ridiculous. Why don’t they just shut up between serves? It’s really not that hard a rule to follow.

10. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

I am beyond thrilled Juan won! Congrats on his first masters titled. The crowd was awful Federer last two matches. What a match and test for my nerves.

I'm also thrilled with how Coric played this tournament. By far my favorite of the under 22 crowd so I'm glad we got some good results. He should have won his semi-final but the crowd was too much and he didn't have the resolve to ask the umpire for the crowd to be quiet like del Potro did.

He and londonrain like this.
  11. What a match! It’s not often you see someone face Federer serving for the match against them at 5-4, 40-0 and then come back to win like that.

Absolutely brilliant tennis. So glad I watched it!

Del Potro’s face on winning his first ever Masters 1000 title was a picture.

He likes this.
  12. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

And he dedicated his win to Cesar.
    [​IMG]

He and londonrain like this.
  13. I saw him write CESAR on the camera and draw a heart around it but I had to Google who Cesar was. I didn’t realise it was his dog!

He likes this.
  14. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

THRILLED to see Del Po beat Fed and 16,000 other people at once.

I completely understand why Roger gets the support he does, but when a crowd turns disrespectful (it's happened to Novak many times when the two of them play) my understanding flies out the window. Cheering after a fault, whether a first serve or double, is the lowest of tennis fandom.

londonrain and MollieSwift21 like this.
  15. I agree. The crowd was just ridiculous.

I found a gif of DelPo writing Cesar’s name on the camera:

Someboy and He like this.
  16. Vee giving us all heart attacks with that match against Bertens. To go from 5-0 to 5-7 in that first set was... quite something. Even in that final set it looked like Bertens was likely to complete the comeback until she started to cramp in her right arm at the very end.

I have no idea how the match against Konta is going to go.

Totto and Scotty B like this.
  17. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Coric through to another quarterfinal and will be at least top 30.

Unfortunate that del Potro and Raonic are meeting in the quarterfinals.

It's nice to see Sloane making it through. Her vs Venus for the final please.

londonrain likes this.
  18. I don't think many were predicting a Stephens-Ostapenko final, were they? An encouraging show from both as their Grand Slam title defences loom in the distance. Glad to see Vika make a decent run too.

londonrain likes this.
  19. Two really exciting finals on the women's side on paper at least from the Sunshine Swing. Hopefully Sloane and Aljona deliver a high quality match (and Aljona wins...).

The men's event is certainly... happening too.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  20. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

Isner must be stopped. I've gone off Zverev a bit, but now I'm full speed ahead on him winning Sunday.

Difficult to call the women's final; it's not unlike the Roland Garros final where Ostapenko is up against a speedy counterpuncher. The difference could be that Sloane can be ultra aggressive, and I think that combination might bring her the title.

MollieSwift21 and londonrain like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.